Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    After reading the many threads on these wonderful Magic Mirror Mounts, also watching Doc's and Russell's videos multiple times, I went ahead and installed mine today. It took me a little over an hour, but I was going VERY slow and being VERY careful with the magnets. Did not get bit once, but sliding the last two apart was a bit of a challenge. My biggest challenge was the tiny screws that hold the petals on ... made the mistake of taking all of them off at once on the right side and had a heck of a time getting some of them back in. A dab of silicon spray on a q-tip to lubricate the hole in advance seemed to do the trick (added just enough slick to allow setting the screws well into the countersunk hole). One the left side, I took the petals off one at a time and made note of which screw belonged to each hole ... made a big difference. Still, I ended up with a pretty good rub spot (almost a blister) in the center of my palm as I was careful not to strip the tiny phillips head. Worth it in the end, though ... absolutely love the solidness of the mirror now!

Now, on to my questions:

Polarity -- I noticed in Doc's video that he was careful to check polarity and indicated that the strong side needed to be away from the bike. This is confirmed in other threads where the analog gauges are sometimes affected. What I did to check, was have a weak magnet in one hand and the Magic in my other -- as I brought them closer together, the Magic either rejected, or was attracted to the other magnet and I made note of which side caused the attraction. This is the side I mounted facing out (or away from the bike) and towards the mirror. Did I pick the correct side to face the mirror?

Tethers -- my kit is one of the earlier ones that came with tethers, but they are mighty short so I did not install them. Based on recent posts in this thread, I may look at extending them just a hair to make removing the mirrors and unplugging the connector a bit easier. I will probably use braided picture frame wire as this is what I used to tether the lower side panels. To tether or not to tether? Opinions .. I have about 2 miles of gravel to travel from our ranch before hitting pavement and sometimes all of our routes out are pretty rough.

All the best .... Ann

hi ann
    firstly congrats on your instal
    when my second son grew out of his cot,i of course made his first bed (poverty dad couldnt afford electric screwdriver)so when you mentioned palm blisters you brought the memories flooding back
    stripping those phillips head screws is not an option so,well done

as mike says,the magnets have no weak side,just polarity N and S...the likes repel and the unlikes attract

did you pick the correct side? i dont think there is one re ideal polarity, but am unable to confirm as i dont have analogues
    am in contact with supplier tho re this

the tethers are short so the mirror dosent damage the tupperware when its dangling....if you hold the mirror flat you should have enough room to connect the elect wire...too short and the bottom spigots wont engage..too long and the elect wire takes the weight...also,too long gives the chance to lay across the top of the magnet,which was one reason not to use them at all....correct length and you can refit the mirror one handed

should you fit them?of course you should,if only for peace of mind

if you want to go longer i suggest dumping the supplied wires and making an endless loop from cord..obviously non magnetic, clean and very simple..just experiment with the length to get what you want
    in a few weeks we will have perfected a new top clip so attach and detach the cord will be easy

thanks for a thoughtful instal.... russ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I'll say it...

I don't care much when folks start "ganging-up" on a person in here...
    If ANY thought was given to what was said: his motives were easily ascertained, and that should have been the end to the speculation.
    But about that time: somebody "sees a monster under the bed" , and we're off to the races!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well, I'll say it...

I don't care much when folks start "ganging-up" on a person in here...
    If ANY thought was given to what was said: his motives were easily ascertained, and that should have been the end to the speculation.
    But about that time: somebody "sees a monster under the bed" , and we're off to the races!
    --thank. the end
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Merlot

You have posted the following information :-

"until i can get the coated stainless wire ones up and running,we are using braided cord
    in a few weeks we will have perfected a new top clip so attach and detach the cord will be easy"

Will you be making the coated Stainless Wire and the new top clip available for those Owners who may want to purchase them via your website and if possible post a picture of them and/or post a video of them in operation
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Merlot

You have posted the following information :-

"until i can get the coated stainless wire ones up and running,we are using braided cord
    in a few weeks we will have perfected a new top clip so attach and detach the cord will be easy"

Will you be making the coated Stainless Wire and the new top clip available for those Owners who may want to purchase them via your website and if possible post a picture of them and/or post a video of them in operation
    yes eddie..just contact and we will upgrade for minimal costs

the design brief for tethers is: easy to make (in bulk)
    easy to fit
    100% effective

the previous tethers were none of the above and were discontinued

the string tethers (nylon cord) fit the above prerequisites
    the top clip has yet to be prooven(hopefully this weekend) but should work for string or wire....its available from any hardware store selling chain as its just a link of dog chain (2.4kg i think)
    the stainless wire supercedes the string and tends to make the package more professional (i like the string better tho)
    if it all comes together this weekend i will vid it to the website
    thanks russ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I ordered mine April 2nd got a message they were shipped on the 10th.
    May 1st and still no M&M's. I wrote Russell and was told the problem is on my end.
    My bad, should have ordered from somewhere else.
    Never again.
    B.S.
    Buckeye
    It probably took a month to get mine. The tracking showed they had arrived in N.Y. but several days later they arrived.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joekeys View Post
    It probably took a month to get mine. The tracking showed they had arrived in N.Y. but several days later they arrived.
    to the UK 5 days consistent
    mailed Monday,fitted saturday

to the US. Mailed April,empty box turns up mid may
    canada,same as it has to go thru the US first

anyway,I won't have that problem again