Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for some advice... contemplating purchase of a Spyder:

Being brutally honest about it, I’m 76, wife is 72. Both of us remain in decent shape, physically active and appear younger. I haven’t ridden a bike in years, but still hold a valid motorcycle licence. She has ridden, but is not licensed to drive; she intends to try her test. We are contemplating purchase of a bike, or sportscar – one last fling before surrendering to old age. We have the luxury of choice, and ability to indulge a bit of late-life fun. We’re seriously looking at a Spyder – BRP, or perhaps even a new Fiat sports car. I’m tempted by the RT Limited; however, I don’t find it all that comfortable to sit on. Don’t quite like the vertical position of my lower legs, and my hips feel sore. Haven’t done a test ride yet, but have sat on a few in the showroom. I feel more comfortable sitting astride the F3, with lower legs somewhat forward; wife thinks it suits us better. Wife also thinks the RT is "too big". Salesman likes to push the RT. Our use will likely be daily or weekend light cruising, maybe the odd overnight. Not likely to do extended travel. Don’t really need speed, power or noise. My question(s): do other, older riders have experienced opinions on the difference in feel of the F3 vs. the RT? Is the F3 a suitable choice for our needs/plans? If so, I think I’d be going with a 2017 F3 Limited, with rear top case, GPS and maybe a couple other basic options. Probably will turn out to be a 4-5 year proposition which I will then re-sell in hopefully good shape and limited miles to someone else for their continuing enjoyment. Comments and advice most welcome. Thanks for your input.
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

You are going to get a mixed bag of answers. I am seventy one years young. Have enjoyed 's since they came out in 2008. On my fifth currently. I personally like RT's compared to the two previous GS/RS which I owned.

I do not like the ergos of the F3 which is now your other alternative. We have many who have moved from RT to F3 in our age bracket who LOVE the F3 platform. They are not as cushy for two-up riding--but that is a decision you will have to make.

I am thinking that 45 years of not using your riding muscles may be kicking in here. A couple weeks driving and the muscle "issues" will hopefully melt away.

A test drive (long if possible) would go a long way towards helping you determine what is best for you.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our little spot in the sandbox!
    For riding two-up: it's pretty tough to beat the double-bucket of the RT-L.
    It really comes down to what fits you best...
    Although you CAN add custom seating to an F3-L, and even highway pegs to the RT-L...
    Is this getting complicated?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Get the RT

Hi, I and my wife are 60. Last year we purchased a used 2014 RT for us to ride locally. I have not ridden for several years. This was the best decision we made. We are now going out on rides during our off days and exploring different locations and we both enjoy it. Do not go with the F3 as seating is not that great. There are so many pluses going with the RT such as comfort and handling. We have had so much fun we are heading to South Dakota this summer for the 3 wheel rally. The bike is not too big.
    Thank You
    Mark Light

Live Long and Ride Hard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Welcome to our little spot in the sandbox!
    For riding two-up: it's pretty tough to beat the double-bucket of the RT-L.
    It really comes down to what fits you best...
    Although you CAN add custom seating to an F3-L, and even highway pegs to the RT-L...
    Is this getting complicated?
    I'm going to disagree about the RT for 2-up for the OP.

Since you'd be planning to get the top box I think the passenger would be fine on the F3L. I'd also add passenger arm rests.

I'd say toget the machine with ergos that suit you.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 04-26-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default BUSHRAT

BUSHRAT;
    HELLO my very best new friend.......
    i'm in my 70th year on this planet... i've done dirt biking for years.... had muscle cars from the 60's, Corvette up the Ka-Zoo, Jaguar, snowmobiles, jet-ski's, drag & road raced... all lots of fun... in 2008 i decided to saddle up on a SPYD3R with my bad hip, 2 bad knees and both feet to witness the experience... in one word: SOLD.... i bought myself an '09 RS, and rode like hell all over the country... i now ride a '15 F3, and have 36,000 miles of smiles on it... been west from SoCar to California on both... and up to Massachusetts on the F3, and heading to Nova Scotia in July on the F3....
    people ask me what i call my machine, my answer is; "i call it FUN"....
    take one out for a ride, and you best have your check book with you when you do....
    these are more fun than any other toy i've ever owned....
    "THOSE THAT DIE WITH THE MOST TOYS, WIN"...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Which one is right??

I am going to add my thoughts to this discussion. My husband and I are both 60 and are pretty active. Our first venture into the Spyder world was a 2015 RT. It was very comfortable and fun to ride. We liked it right away. I am the passenger, as I do not have my license (yet), so I loved the rear seating. It had the heated grab bars, speakers, plenty of space to pack for trips. Really nice features.

We are still working, so our riding right now is mainly weekend overnights, or just around our area. But the RT is perfect for an extended trip.

Then one day, we visited our dealer and an F3 was in the showroom. There was just something about it and we had to sit on it and try one out. Long story short, we now are the owners of a 2016 F3 Triple Black. We LOVE it!! True, the seating for the passenger is not as cushy, with just a backrest, but it is comfortable for me, and yes, it can be a little windy at times. But it reminds me of being back on a 2-wheeler. There is less space for packing for traveling, I think I would like it even if we did go for a week or two, though. My husband likes the seating position and quick pickup.

Each person has to decide which Spyder suits him or her the best, so give each a try. Both are great, and for us, the F3 fits us perfectly.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I am thinking that 45 years of not using your riding muscles may be kicking in here. A couple weeks driving and the muscle "issues" will hopefully melt away.

A test drive (long if possible) would go a long way towards helping you determine what is best for you.

Let us know what you decide.
    I sort of agree; but, those muscles may need a little nudge. I'd check in with someone familiar with foam rolling, for muscle tightness, speaking from a physical therapist angle. Believe me, I workout 5 days a week, and without foam rolling, my muscles get tight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm definitely going to continue monitoring this thread. My situation is almost exactly the same as the OP's - except I'm a bit younger (64) and will be riding mostly alone. I have not done any test drives yet, but I've sat on an RT in a showroom and found it to be less than comfortable - like his experience, my hips ached right away. Something about the sitting position didn't agree with me. Although I haven't sat on an F3 yet, I have sat on a 2016 ST-S leftover (which has since been sold) and found it to be much more comfortable for me.

I hope to do some actual test drives later this week or next. While I have no practical experience with the Spyders, what I do know is that my #1 consideration will be comfort. From what I've read on this forum, after that is satisfied the options are almost unlimited no matter which model you choose.

Good luck with your decision and, as I stated at the top, I'll definitely be following this thread with interest!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I sort of agree; but, those muscles may need a little nudge. I'd check in with someone familiar with foam rolling, for muscle tightness, speaking from a physical therapist angle. Believe me, I workout 5 days a week, and without foam rolling, my muscles get tight.
    As someone with tight, inflexible muscles myself, I'd be interested in learning a bit more about this "foam rolling". Is it something that you can do on your own? Or do you need a therapist or partner to do it?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    As someone with tight, inflexible muscles myself, I'd be interested in learning a bit more about this "foam rolling". Is it something that you can do on your own? Or do you need a therapist or partner to do it?

Thanks.
    I thank all those who have responded to date and are contributing to my Spyder education. I should have added that some of the things or considerations affecting my leaning toward a 2017 F3 Limited are the recent inclusion of the electronic rear shock adjustment and the new added backrest with the top case. This seems to me to give the latest version of the F3 much of the comfort aspects of the RT, especially on the part of the passenger rider. Thus, feeling myself to be more comfortable sitting on the F3 driver seat, that's where I'm leaning, but not yet totally decided. I accept that it really will take a good test ride to truly decide. The actual experience input of you folks is much appreciated. Cheers, and Thanks. Hope to see you on the road soon.
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the F3 Limited would certainly be a wise choice...

Spyder Garage

I am 71 and ride a RS-S SE5. No bar risers, no footboards, no cruiser pegs, no backrest, yes FOX shocks, yes stiffer sway bar, yes better tires, yes Yoshimura pipe, hang off and let 'er rip.

Spyder Garage

Test ride both and 2 up if that's how u plan to rode.

Think u will fin Fiat more comfortable

Spyder Garage

Thanks.
    Here's what I consider one of the better youtubes for foam rolling. When doing your low back, do not hyperextend, and stay away from your lower ribs when doing any foam rolling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Here's what I consider one of the better youtubes for foam rolling. When doing your low back, do not hyperextend, and stay away from your lower ribs when doing any foam rolling.

I've done rolling on my outer thighs and quadriceps to help with muscle tightness. This was at a gym under the supervision of a trainer. The used rollers that weren't knobby like is shown in the video, but were firm. On sore muscles it hurt at first but it helps break down the acids in the muscle. (or something like that if I remember the explanation correctly.)

I don't know why you couldn't do it at home, too.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I'm definitely going to continue monitoring this thread. My situation is almost exactly the same as the OP's - except I'm a bit younger (64) and will be riding mostly alone. I have not done any test drives yet, but I've sat on an RT in a showroom and found it to be less than comfortable - like his experience, my hips ached right away. Something about the sitting position didn't agree with me. Although I haven't sat on an F3 yet, I have sat on a 2016 ST-S leftover (which has since been sold) and found it to be much more comfortable for me.

I hope to do some actual test drives later this week or next. While I have no practical experience with the Spyders, what I do know is that my #1 consideration will be comfort. From what I've read on this forum, after that is satisfied the options are almost unlimited no matter which model you choose.

Good luck with your decision and, as I stated at the top, I'll definitely be following this thread with interest!
    One advantage of the F3 platform is that it has the U-fit system with five adjustable positions. This goes a long way towards fitting the to "most" individuals.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

U-Fit will allow you to set the bike up the way that YOU like them!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would stay far, far away from anything made by Fiat (or Chrysler). If you want a trouble-free sports cage go get a Mazda Miata.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nobody can tell you and your wife which ryde is best for you, you have to do a test drive. See if you can get an extended test ryde on both machines to really know which suits you better. See what fits and if you lime it ryde off into the sunset! As you can tell from the signature line, I am partial to both!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good question - similar situation

I appreciate your question and the answers you have received. I am 81-years old and currently riding a Honda ST1300, having sold the FJR last year. My wife will not ride with me on this bike but she thinks she would ride on a RT-Limited. I live in Waynesville, NC and this is a great place for motorcycling with the Blueridge Parkway nearby. I do not know of anyone around here who owns a Spyder nor is there a dealer within 50-miles so I am not getting any local help. I don't think I want to buy a new Spyder as I might find out the hard way that she won't ride on the Spyder either but I would like the Rotax engine, which leads to my question. What would be a very good (low) price to pay for a 2014 RT-Limited?

Spyder Garage

The ergonomics of the F3 are quite good as the UFit system will allow you to make the adjustments to suit your body and comfortless. I have the F3S and am very pleased with the factory settings but was sold on the fact that UFit will allow me later to make any fine adjustments as required. Nothing worse than having to sell a machine because your body can't work or is discomforting in the only one fixed position. Go with an F3 series long test ride.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchief View Post
    What would be a very good (low) price to pay for a 2014 RT-Limited?
    just start searching cycletrader.com, dealers use cycletrader to get more views of there inventory, new or used. I had been looking and searching of prices, and got good #'s for what a new 2016 would be. then I found online cycletrader a used 2015RT Ltd with only 224 miles on it, just under 20K. grabbed that up in a hurry.
    just be an informed and educated buyer!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Default Fiat

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I would stay far, far away from anything made by Fiat (or Chrysler). If you want a trouble-free sports cage go get a Mazda Miata.
    The new Fiat Spider is a modifed Mazda Miata. According to Car and Driver, it's actually been derated and not only costs more than a Miata, but has lower performance.

Spyder Garage

Default The answer is in - 2017 F3 LTD.

Had our 2-up test ride of a 2017 RT Ltd. on Monday (two days ago). Very enjoyable, and we felt encouraged enough to continue with our consideration of purchasing a Can-Am Spyder. Yet, after dismounting back at the dealership, my hips felt sore from the RT's vertical riding position. There wasn't an F3 Ltd. readily set up and available for immediate comparison, and I was reluctant to go ahead without a similar test. Dealer offered to take a brand new F3 Ltd. out of its packing case, set it up, and be ready the next day or so. We went back this morning, Wed., for the second session. Found the F3 Ltd. was a much more comfortable ride for me; no sciatic pain, no soreness. Yes, it was 'breezier' and 'sportier'; far more reminiscent of earlier 2-wheel biking days in that 'airy' sense. Was almost expecting the girlfriend to be disappointed. Surprise, surprise!! She loved the F3 Ltd. Thought it was even more lively and enjoyable than the RT Ltd. She liked the higher passenger perch, looking over my head; didn't mind the breeze and thought it was a more fun ride. That did it. We rode back and signed the deal. We then spent an hour or so picking out new helmets, jackets, etc. Since neither of us has ridden much for several years, we no longer had any gear; we simply borrowed enough to do the test. So, in a few more days, after adding on some arm rests and GPS, we'll go back and pick up the new toy - a 2017 intense red pearl F3 Ltd. Not going to add a lot of farkle just yet; we'll put on some miles over the summer, then maybe personalize. Come fall, we'll leave Ontario and head south to Leesburg, FL, for the winter, dragging the Spyder behind us so we can continue the fun. Thanks to all who helped contribute to our decision with your knowledgeable and generous comments. As many suggested, the decision really comes down to personal preference and the ergonomics which work best. We found our answer, and hope others equally enjoy their choice, whatever it turns out to be. Hope to meet you on the road someday. Cheers.