Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1330 Cam Sensor

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Wifes F3T got the Limp Home Screen a little over a week ago, and when she got home (35 miles commute) pulled up the PO340 code - bad camshaft position sensor. Did search on computer and saw this thread so we check 3 dealers and scheduled an appointment the earliest was 3 weeks out. Since my wife loves her commute on the F3 she was not a happy camper! Also we had several trips planned, and this was adding to the discord. To paraphrase- Unhappy Wife: Unhappy Life!!

Anticipating that the BUDS calibration would be needed and that the part would have to be ordered anyway, we stewed, but ordered the part anyway from our local dealer, and hoped that the diagnosis and repair would go smooth. We like the local tech and didn't want to "LIMP" the hundred plus miles to Denver and maybe still be waiting on a fix.

Parts man Ashton, called Tuesday and said the cam sensor was in along with the Oring I ordered just in case. Turns out the sensor comes with an ORing in place, so that was not needed. I talked with Service Manager and Tech Isaac, and he said try the sensor, and if the PO 340 Code doesn't go away, they would try to fit me in for a BUDS hookup to resolve the full diagnostic report.

It took me about an hour to wiggle the little sensor out of the recess in upper rear right side of engine, but was able to get the new one in and snapped in place. Fired the F3T up and eased down the drive with the Limp Mode showing for about 10 seconds and then IT WENT AWAY, and my 2 mile test ride was free of codes and running smooth. My wife rode to work today, so if she rolls in this evening with a smile on her face we are good to go on our planned rides this fall. Shout out to Ashton, Desmond and Isaac at Fremont Motorsports for their communication and help!!
    Hope you have better luck than we did. Since it was a short in the battery that caused my customers P0340, you may not have to clear it with BUDS. We tried everything we could to clear the code and wouldn't. Different circumstances = different result?

Spyder Garage

Default So far so good on replacing the Cam Position Sensor

Wife had no issues on her 70 mile loop yesterday. Have another short jaunt tomorrow and hope that it remains fixed. As Isaac said the BUDS system gives a whole list of possible issues that could cause the code, so maybe I lucked out with the bad sensor diagnosis and swapping parts at it. Sometimes you get lucky.. A couple of techs mentioned checking for loose battery leads, and I did but mine were tight, and the connector seemed seated so... Although the battery leads were tight, I decided to clean and reattach. Maybe that reset everything as well.

Here is a list of possible issues from BUDS that another thread showed:

Camshaft Position Sensor – PO340 code

Spyder Diagnostic Codes - P0340
    Error on
    camshaft
    position sensor signal

Disconnected sensor
    Blown fuse
    Defective CAPS,
    damaged circuit wires,
    damaged connector or
    damaged ECM output pins.
    Trigger wheel missing
    or in incorrect position
    on intake camshaft

Make sure sensor
    connector is fully inserted.
    Measure voltage between
    harness connector CAPS-3
    and ground (expected
    value: 11 to 13 volts).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-2
    (expected value: < 2 ohms).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-1
    (expected value: < 2 ohms).

Thanks for everyones help and communication!!
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 09-09-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad that it didn't need BUDS. I have replaced hundreds of cam and crank sensors on cages and have NEVER had to do a computer calibration. Figured the Spyder would not be an exception, but I guess my guys was an exception.
    If either our F3 or Rt has that code I will still try to swap it again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue.