Thread: 1330 Cam Sensor

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 Cam Sensor

Anybody tackled this yet? Looks pretty straightforward to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cam Sensor ordered. We will see what we will see!

Spyder Garage

Default Easy

On our Alaska trip, Dave had one fail. Went to the dealer, none in stock. There was a motor on a stand as a display, and the tech boosted that one, put it on Dave's bike, and off we went!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    On our Alaska trip, Dave had one fail. Went to the dealer, none in stock. There was a motor on a stand as a display, and the tech boosted that one, put it on Dave's bike, and off we went!!
    I was hoping that BUDS wouldn't need hooked up just to replace the sensor. Buddy has a '16 F3T with that problem. If this works, I will order one to leave in the on byke tools. Same sensor fits every 1330, so it will be a spare for both bykes.

Spyder Garage

Just out curiosity what "error code" comes up, so I know what to look out for.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    Just out curiosity what "error code" comes up, so I know what to look out for.

Chris
    Spyder Diagnostic Codes - P0340
    Error on camshaft
    position sensor signal

Disconnected sensor
    Blown fuse
    Defective CAPS,
    damaged circuit wires,
    damaged connector or
    damaged ECM output pins.
    Trigger wheel missing
    or in incorrect position
    on intake camshaft

Make sure sensor
    connector is fully inserted.
    Measure voltage between
    harness connector CAPS-3
    and ground (expected
    value: 11 to 13 volts).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-2
    (expected value: < 2 ohms).
    Measure resistance from
    connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-1
    (expected value: < 2 ohms).

We should have it in a couple of days. We will see then.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Too bad you guys weren't aware of having to use B.U.D.S. for calibration when that part was replaced. It would have saved a lot of time on this thread. At least we know now what is required.

Spyder Garage

Default 16 F3T cam position sensor replaced; No B.U.D.S Required and all is good

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Too bad you guys weren't aware of having to use B.U.D.S. for calibration when that part was replaced. It would have saved a lot of time on this thread. At least we know now what is required.

101_0015.jpgWifes F3T got the Limp Home Screen a little over a week ago, and when she got home (35 miles commute) pulled up the PO340 code - bad camshaft position sensor. Did search on computer and saw this thread so we check 3 dealers and scheduled an appointment the earliest was 3 weeks out. Since my wife loves her commute on the F3 she was not a happy camper! Also we had several trips planned, and this was adding to the discord. To paraphrase- Unhappy Wife: Unhappy Life!!

Anticipating that the BUDS calibration would be needed and that the part would have to be ordered anyway, we stewed, but ordered the part anyway from our local dealer, and hoped that the diagnosis and repair would go smooth. We like the local tech and didn't want to "LIMP" the hundred plus miles to Denver and maybe still be waiting on a fix.

Parts man Ashton, called Tuesday and said the cam sensor was in along with the Oring I ordered just in case. Turns out the sensor comes with an ORing in place, so that was not needed. I talked with Service Manager and Tech Isaac, and he said try the sensor, and if the PO 340 Code doesn't go away, they would try to fit me in for a BUDS hookup to resolve the full diagnostic report.

It took me about an hour to wiggle the little sensor out of the recess in upper rear right side of engine, but was able to get the new one in and snapped in place. Fired the F3T up and eased down the drive with the Limp Mode showing for about 10 seconds and then IT WENT AWAY, and my 2 mile test ride was free of codes and running smooth. My wife rode to work today, so if she rolls in this evening with a smile on her face we are good to go on our planned rides this fall. Shout out to Ashton, Desmond and Isaac at Fremont Motorsports for their communication and help!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    101_0015.jpgWifes F3T got the Limp Home Screen a little over a week ago, and when she got home (35 miles commute) pulled up the PO340 code - bad camshaft position sensor. Did search on computer and saw this thread so we check 3 dealers and scheduled an appointment the earliest was 3 weeks out. Since my wife loves her commute on the F3 she was not a happy camper! Also we had several trips planned, and this was adding to the discord. To paraphrase- Unhappy Wife: Unhappy Life!!

Anticipating that the BUDS calibration would be needed and that the part would have to be ordered anyway, we stewed, but ordered the part anyway from our local dealer, and hoped that the diagnosis and repair would go smooth. We like the local tech and didn't want to "LIMP" the hundred plus miles to Denver and maybe still be waiting on a fix.

Parts man Ashton, called Tuesday and said the cam sensor was in along with the Oring I ordered just in case. Turns out the sensor comes with an ORing in place, so that was not needed. I talked with Service Manager and Tech Isaac, and he said try the sensor, and if the PO 340 Code doesn't go away, they would try to fit me in for a BUDS hookup to resolve the full diagnostic report.

It took me about an hour to wiggle the little sensor out of the recess in upper rear right side of engine, but was able to get the new one in and snapped in place. Fired the F3T up and eased down the drive with the Limp Mode showing for about 10 seconds and then IT WENT AWAY, and my 2 mile test ride was free of codes and running smooth. My wife rode to work today, so if she rolls in this evening with a smile on her face we are good to go on our planned rides this fall. Shout out to Ashton, Desmond and Isaac at Fremont Motorsports for their communication and help!!
    Hope you have better luck than we did. Since it was a short in the battery that caused my customers P0340, you may not have to clear it with BUDS. We tried everything we could to clear the code and wouldn't. Different circumstances = different result?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Cam sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Cam Sensor ordered. We will see what we will see!
    Doc would you please post the part number for the cam sensor for the 1330 engine and where you obtained it.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Doc would you please post the part number for the cam sensor for the 1330 engine and where you obtained it.
    Thanks
    http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...40/valve-train
    Item #28. Same part all 1330's, all years.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...40/valve-train
    Item #28. Same part all 1330's, all years.
    Item 29 you mean? Comes with a new o ring?
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Item 29 you mean? Comes with a new o ring?
    Sorry, yeah #29. Not sure about the O ring. Should be getting it in the net day or two....