Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Two vs Three Wheels

Just wondering,

Does anyone miss not being on 2 wheels? I didn't used to really beleive motorcycle people when they told me it's all about the lean and the feelings on a bike, until this past weekend I went to pass my motorcycle safety test in anticipation of picking up my new Spyder in a couple of weeks. Never touched a bike or Spyder in my 45 years, but I returned from the class having driven a dual sport bike all weekend and had such a blast, it's making me wonder... maybe I want to consider a second bike

Spyder Garage

Just wait until you get out there on 3 wheels & start really coming to terms with how well & fast these things can turn & brake; and you'll get the very same smirk in exactly the same way that all the rest of us grin when some poor misguided pleb on 2 wheels who has no real idea of the absolute blast he's missing out on makes a comment like that!!

Give it a bit of saddle time to really get the hang of it, and you too will be enjoying the miles of smiles that Spyders bring with them!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NotSteve View Post
    Just wondering,

Does anyone miss not being on 2 wheels? I didn't used to really beleive motorcycle people when they told me it's all about the lean and the feelings on a bike, until this past weekend I went to pass my motorcycle safety test in anticipation of picking up my new Spyder in a couple of weeks. Never touched a bike or Spyder in my 45 years, but I returned from the class having driven a dual sport bike all weekend and had such a blast, it's making me wonder... maybe I want to consider a second bike
    I thought I would but I don't.

When I first got a Spyder it was a bit like being 17 again with my first motorbike as it was all so different from what I was used to. I actually enjoyed the experience of being a novice again.

The Spyder isn't the same as riding a bike but its no less fun, in fact I have more day to day fun riding my Spyder than on any of my recent motorbikes. Cornering is more physical on a Spyder and probably harder to get perfect, because of that I find it more rewarding.

The big advantage of the Spyder is the extra safety features which takes some of the 'stress' from the ride. Firstly you have more road presence - I've seen a marked decrease in 'sorry mate I didn't see you' incidents. Secondly the 'nanny' keeps you out of trouble time and again. For example when I hit gravel on a corner all that happened was a slight slide of the back wheel and nanny brought everything under control. Recently my mate hit gravel on his motorbike on similar corner and ended up trapped under his bike with a punctured lung.

Not to mention riding in the rain is actually fun on a Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't "seriously" looked back...

...But I DO like to "peek over the fence" every once in a while!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yes two and three wheel motorcycles have different ride experiences.

I spent 45 years on a two wheeler and I miss the last bike I owned for 32 years.

The Spyder RT-S I have now is great and I don't want to go back to two wheels.
    It's nice not to have to worry about putting my feet down when I stop.
    Having a real reverse gear is great, you can park wherever you like and not worry how to get going again.

There are a lot of us seasoned riders enjoying three wheels.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

I still ride both. Each has its own kind of fun.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i did so last year i bought an indian so now i ride both. best of both worlds

Spyder Garage

Just wondering,

Yep, I have both - a Harley and a RTS. Take the Harley when riding myself and Spyder when 2-up. For me 2 wheels is more enjoyable on curvy roads. 3 has advantages 2 up, at low speeds, and gravel parking lots..
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default I did miss it...

Yep, I love the Spyder. But for some curvy back roads, there is nothing like the feel of two wheels. The lean, countersteering, and the feel of the bike responding to your input is so different from 2 to 3 wheels.

After 4 years with the Spyder, we retired and moved to Virginia (near the WV border), and there are so many roads here that just begged for 2 wheels, I gave in and bought a copy of my first bike - a 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750. Now I can enjoy both styles of riding.

It is two different kinds of experiences. I enjoy both, and am fortunate enough to be able to afford to have both toys in the stable.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Miss two Wheels?

I also have a bot a Spyder and a Kawasaki motorcycle. I also enjoy the Spyder for two up riding and ride the Nomad solo. My wife like riding with me on the Spyder. all she want me to add is some armrests. Hopefully I can find a set for my 2009 RS.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Default Two Wheels vs Three

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I still ride both. Each has its own kind of fun.
    I too, am a Navy veteran of 20 years. Stated riding at 15 years of age, and now I'll be 65 in May. So around 50 years without an accident, but I am not so naive as to think that an accident could never happen to me. But where riding is concerned, the safety factor is inceased on a Spyder than riding two wheels. Traded off the '05 Harley Ultra Classic for a '12 Spyder RT-SE5, and while I miss the signature sound, and classic look of the Harley, I don't miss the maneuvering to turn the bike around in the garage, stop and go traffic at rush hour, or construction zones, back and forth through a parking lot to look for a space, riding two up. Or the lack of a reverse gear. At 920 pounds, combined with our weight(s), the bike was becoming a bit too cumbersome. But, I still wouldn't mind a 2017 Triumph Bonneville T120 in the garage to ride solo on short rides once in awhile.

Spyder Garage

Default Not so much WHATwe ride but THAT we ryde

I have enjoyed all the miles ridden in the open air and the memories and country seen in proportion to the miles traveled on each of my previous bikes. Good memories on the old Yamaha XS750 triple.
    Lots of miles on the Honda 750 Aero, good miles and memories on the Harley, and now making many more miles and memories on the RT. Glad that the features and roadworthiness of the 1330 give me many more miles in my future!!
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 04-26-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: corr
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default not really...

Had two wheels, off road, trails, sport bike, crusier last one a modified wing and quads and sports cars as well. They all have a place in my memory I visit from time to time but I never have the inkling to go back. The RS is the best of all open air rydes and I love every mile I can get on it... I understand everyone is a bit different and on a three wheeler for various reasons but that most have found the magic of these machines...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Life has many stages, as I(we) age I(we) want safer. The Spyder gives that to us. Good by 2 wheels, fun while it lasted. Welcome three !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just wondering,

I didn't have extensive experience on two wheels, but I got my license on two, and tried several motorcycles before I landed on a Spyder. As far as I'm concerned the Spyder experience is all I need.

It's the ride, not the machine!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES YES YES a thousand times YES

I have been riding since I was 14 and I am now 75 Yes I own a Spyder and have for
    4 years however after 1 year without a motorcycle I just had to do it again so now I have
    both again, and am quite happy to ride whatever one I feel in the mood for.
    Here is my latest 2 wheel Barn Find. Click on it to enlarge.
    Barn Find.jpg

Just wondering,

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-26-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

You will run into a mixed bag of answers on this one--depending on who.

I started riding in 1964 and have had almost 50 assorted two wheelers. When first came out (saw article in fall 2007) about the "new" concept, I just had to have one. Put down a $500 deposit and placed an order. It arrived in June of 2008 and I got the first one sold in Alaska to a customer. The dealer snarfed the other for himself. A hoot to drive and the "public adoration" followed me around for almost two years.

For awhile, I had two wheels AND a spyder. Hip issues precluded keeping the two wheels and I traded my Vulcan LTD off for another for Linda to drive. Now, I have had hip replacement and feel like I could go two wheels again. Lucky for me, the 2017 Indian Roadmaster is not available up here in Alaska. I would probably jump on that one and go back to one of each flavor with Linda inheriting the newer of the two 's. That's my story for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I spent 40 years on two wheels and put in lots of miles on 13 different bikes and can honestly say I am loving 3 wheels. We just joined the Spyder world about two months ago but I can see putting LOTS of miles on them.

Spyder Garage

Wanna get really conflicted? How about a leaning reverse trike? Some of the stability of 3 wheels but the leaning and fun of 2. You can get a tilting motor works conversion for a HArley or Goldwing today, the Yamaha MWT-09 is rumored to be out this year and the Honda Neowing may be coming in a year or two. Will certainly be interesting when there is that extra choice and I think it will really hurt Spyder sales.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Wanna get really conflicted? How about a leaning reverse trike? Some of the stability of 3 wheels but the leaning and fun of 2. You can get a tilting motor works conversion for a HArley or Goldwing today, the Yamaha MWT-09 is rumored to be out this year and the Honda Neowing may be coming in a year or two. Will certainly be interesting when there is that extra choice and I think it will really hurt Spyder sales.
    I am guessing if one of the major's come out with a competition version that many will jump ship in order to try out the new kid on the block. Providing, that the quality, power, and price are in the right ballpark. Most would not be to worried about quality issues from a major manufacturer like Honda, etc. I would not be willing to pay more for less than I am currently used to.

I was a beta tester (on my own dime) with the 2008 (first edition) the 2009 (early semi auto), 2010 (first RT Premier edition, #474), and, the 2014 first version of the 1330. All worked out good for me and I never had any major issues on any of them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    "Competition improves the breed..."
    It just means that better Spyders are coming too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Competition improves the breed..."
    It just means that better Spyders are coming too!
    We can surely hope. I have been keeping up on the information but so far, I don't believe they are showroom ready yet. I am also NOT a fan of conversion units. They must be factory from a major manufacturer to get any consideration in my book.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Every day! But my story is a bit different....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just wondering,

Does anyone miss not being on 2 wheels?
    I don't. I had a moment of mixed feelings* when my 2013 RT was sitting in the garage next to my 2005 Goldwing, but a thought of the 'wing tipping over and the feeling was gone. It left, never to return, after riding my 2013 RT at 80+ mph for a couple of hours and realized when I stopped for gas that I felt safer on my RT at 80 mph than I ever did on my Goldwing at 70 mph.

*You know, that feeling you have as you watch your mother-in-law drive over the cliff in your brand new Cadillac!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have such fun on my Spyder that I don't most of the time but every now and then I see one I would mind taking for a spin.. just sayin.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!