Spyder Garage

Default Hug those blind corner shoulders

Had the front left fender of my RT clipped by a downhill rider on a rural road with lots of twists and turns. I was going uphill on a 2 lane road, approaching a blind curve and hugged the shoulder. 1st downhill rider came around the turn in his lane, but his buddy behind him was over the center of the lane and ended up clipping my fender - the Harley went down and slid for about 15 feet (low speed for all involved) and his momentum propelled him into oncoming traffic behind me. Fortunately my riding friend was 4-5 car lengths behind and stopped in time. Thank goodness no injuries. I was able to drive the rest of the way home, and the Harley said his was driveable too.

It happened in the blink of an eye. Just a reminder to be extra careful in those blind curves.
    Last edited by CentralCoastCA; 04-27-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the guy was riding beyond his ability! I hope the damage to your Spyder is minimal!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad everyone is OK! Maybe that will slow the Harley Ryder down....

Spyder Garage

One thing I stress and try to remember to do is on blind hills, I will move to extreme right in case someone comes over the top on my side of the line.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having once had a high-speed head-on collision with snowmobiles at the very top of a hill (We couldn't see what was happening on the other side!): I never charge into a situation where I can't see what's going on around me.
    The guy on the Harley was over the edge of his skill-set, and it cost him...
    But it's a good thing that it didn't cost him dearly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Goes to show you don't mess with a spyder fender lol

Spyder Garage

Glad the outcome was better than it could have been. Be careful out there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Having once had a high-speed head-on collision with snowmobiles at the very top of a hill (We couldn't see what was happening on the other side!): I never charge into a situation where I can't see what's going on around me.
    The guy on the Harley was over the edge of his skill-set, and it cost him...
    But it's a good thing that it didn't cost him dearly!
    Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Sounds like the guy was riding beyond his ability! I hope the damage to your Spyder is minimal!!!!
    I don't think skill-set or ability had anything to do with it. I have seen people in cars and motorcycles both cut corners. They do it till they get a wake-up call. Sometimes that call is costly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    I don't think skill-set or ability had anything to do with it. I have seen people in cars and motorcycles both cut corners. They do it till they get a wake-up call. Sometimes that call is costly.
    What I understood was that the second bike was too far out in his lane for the speed and ended up in the other lane and the Spyderryder was hugging the outside of his lane and that saved him a head-on. That's what I got anyway....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends, I subscribe to the stay wide on entry and dive for the apex theory. It lets me see further around the corner and in most cases buys a second or two - not to mention gives them a chance to see my headlights sooner. But, whatever floats your goat.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call it whatever you like...
    But in my opinion: a lack of the ability to recognize a situation for what it is... should be considered a missing skill.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately many H-D riders don't realize this brand of bike is built for many different missions, but canyon carving is not one of them. It is very fortunate that no one was hurt.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm glad both of you are OK, I was in a motorcycle accident when I was in my early 20's and gave up motorcycles for almost 30 years, I finally bought a Spyder feeling that they are safer and get noticed more. Sure loving life now ryding with my wife, I have a lot of making up to do.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

OP said 15 MPH should not take much skill at that speed, It sounds to me someone cut the corner and didn't have time to react. But then I have been known to be wrong before
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    OP said 15 MPH should not take much skill at that speed, It sounds to me someone cut the corner and didn't have time to react. But then I have been known to be wrong before
    yeah, but the only time you were wrong was when you thought you were wrong, eh Large

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red