Spyder Garage

Default code P0172, again...

2014 RTS SM-6 @ 3500 miles, taking back to dealer for second time in 6 months for code P0172, last time they changed the purge valve - hope they get to the root cause this time. Planning to take a 1200 mile trip in June and don't want to see check engine light flashing again.
    Last edited by Dgdecker; 05-13-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

The code P0172 refers to bank one running rich. Have not seen that but on the 998 V-twin that has two banks. May be that the triple has three but on the twin we would check the vaccum lines and the o2 sensors to start then on to the injectors etc. Seems they should be able to figure it out but need to hook up to buds for more details...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's an unusual code for the triple. Not a lot of history on here. A bad purge valve, however, typically causes a lean condition on any motor, due to the vacuum loss, that is, the sucking in of extra air. They need to be looking at what would cause too much fuel, not too little. The triple has some kind of air temp and pressure sensor on the intake. A fuel injector, fuel pressure, or O2 sensor are always prime suspects. Keep in mind that even if your factory warranty is up, some of these components are covered by the longer warranty on emissions components. Would be interested to hear back from you as to what they try this time.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

P0172 is not the same for a triple as the definition above for the twin.

P0172.jpg

Running too rich. ECM has reached it's limit to reduce fuel. Since the purge valve has already been replaced. I would not blame it again. I would look at the fuel injectors not closing completely. A 2014 with only 3500 miles on it I would think there have been several tanks of old gas been run through it. Time to run some injector cleaner through it and see if that may help.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default P0172 again and again

Well the Spyder (2014 RTS SM6) spent two weeks at the dealer - can't find anything wrong. Tech cleared code and ran motor for 20 minutes-code didn't reappear. Asked BRP, they suggested check spark plugs and fuel pressure - both were ok. BRP said in case response I should only use 87 octane, 10% ethanol maximum - anyone else ever heard this??
    So after bringing Spyder home this past Tuesday, 100 miles into today's ride CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes ON AGAIN. Code P0172, surprises, surprise! So back to the dealer Monday.
    Really losing confidence in this bike, I like riding it but......
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dgdecker View Post
    Well the Spyder (2014 RTS SM6) spent two weeks at the dealer - can't find anything wrong. Tech cleared code and ran motor for 20 minutes-code didn't reappear. Asked BRP, they suggested check spark plugs and fuel pressure - both were ok. BRP said in case response I should only use 87 octane, 10% ethanol maximum - anyone else ever heard this??
    So after bringing Spyder home this past Tuesday, 100 miles into today's ride CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes ON AGAIN. Code P0172, surprises, surprise! So back to the dealer Monday.
    Really losing confidence in this bike, I like riding it but......
    On theTHIRD trip to the dealer they found that fuel pressure was above spec, so new pump/regulator was installed.

First day on trip to PA, got a few hundred miles and in KY check engine light comes on again, code P0172.... Made appointment with dealer in KY, he checked purge valve, fuel, pressure, and O2 sensor output, all within spec. Tech has seen this before and believes throttle body is defective. Didn't have part on hand, so cleared code and since was running well continued on my trip. Then 3 days later and 300 miles, CHECK ENGINE ON AGAIN, Code P0172. Sent another email to BRP and will go to dealer for 5th repair later this week.

Anyone else have this situation - and how did it get resolved??? Thx.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Did they figure this out for you?

They should check o2 sensor for intermittent problem. Also for a restriction in exhaust. (cat issue) Measure back pressure at the o2 sensor bung.
    It also easy enough to reflash / update ecu just to make sure it didn't get a glitch or bad flash from the get go.

Spyder Garage

Default if your in louisville

if you happen to break out the code again , and are located in Louisville ky ring the spyder lover pages , see if there is any thing one of us can do for you ! safe travels road warriors

Spyder Garage

Default P0172 may be fixed

On theTHIRD trip to the dealer they found that fuel pressure was above spec, so new pump/regulator was installed.

First day on trip to PA, got a few hundred miles and in KY check engine light comes on again, code P0172.... Made appointment with dealer in KY, he checked purge valve, fuel, pressure, and O2 sensor output, all within spec. Tech has seen this before and believes throttle body is defective. Didn't have part on hand, so cleared code and since was running well continued on my trip. Then 3 days later and 300 miles, CHECK ENGINE ON AGAIN, Code P0172. Sent another email to BRP and will go to dealer for 5th repair later this week.

Anyone else have this situation - and how did it get resolved??? Thx.
    Took an interesting turn. At Alcoa Good Times working with BRP Engineers they believe problem may be cam timing. Apparently several 1330's have had this problem. Had to send mechanical fixtures from Canada (factory) to check and adjust if needed. Found intake cam timing was off 1 tooth and reset. So far 550 miles since last fix and no check engine light or code. Keeping fingers crossed that it's finally repaired.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Took an interesting turn. At Alcoa Good Times working with BRP Engineers they believe problem may be cam timing. Apparently several 1330's have had this problem. Had to send mechanical fixtures from Canada (factory) to check and adjust if needed. Found intake cam timing was off 1 tooth and reset. So far 550 miles since last fix and no check engine light or code. Keeping fingers crossed that it's finally repaired.
    Hello Dgdecker !

I'm wondering if your error code cam back after the fix done ?
    I have a 2018 Spyder F3 S and got the same error code

Spyder Garage

I appreciate when folks post a resolution to a problem rather than just disappearing. Thanks!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Just a bump to this thread. I have a 2019 F3T that has about 1000 miles on the odometer. It was a slightly used "demo" that I took delivery on about 6 months ago. When it had about 600 miles on it, it developed the P0172 code. I took it in to the dealer and they said the purge valve had failed and replaced it. Well a couple of months later, the same code returned. Other than the check engine light being on, nothing else appeared to be wrong with the vehicle. Performance and fuel economy all seemed normal-just like the first event. I called the dealer and told them I wanted to wait until after bike week (I live near Daytona) and then get the thing repaired. Of course, bike week was cut short and everything went on hold---thanks Covid-19! The vehicle is finally at the dealer and the diagnostic tests show another failed purge valve. However, Can-Am feels that there is something else going on and wants further diagnostics to be done. It's been in the shop for a couple of weeks now with no resolution. I e-mailed this thread to the dealer service department to see if it might help them direct their efforts toward the fuel pressure or something else. When they come up with a solution, I will update it here.

Spyder Garage

Info on cam timing and fuel trim relationship for your enjoyment.
    https://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...ility?page=0,2
    Back in the day, we would use an offset key on the cam to advance it slightly (one or two degrees, not a whole tooth) for more low end torque. If i read the article correctly, retarding the cam makes it lean, so that makes sense. The waveform check out procedure sounds solid.

Spyder Garage

Curiousity engaged on 3 cups of Joe this AM.
    It looks like the Walker O2 sensor is a direct substitute, and saves a few bucks.

Walker 932-14062 49.95 Amazon or RockAuto
    CanAm 707600872 74.99 Amazon

Spyder Garage

Had the dreaded P0 172 on my last Spyder, the cat delete pipe was the culprit. If you have a cat delete and different exhaust you need to remap or else the code will haunt you.
    thanks, Larry L.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

No, my Spyder is 100% stock. Just talked to the dealer today. BRP told them that they had a software fix that would correct the problem. The dealer applied the fix and the code immediately returned. They checked the fuel pressure (per this thread which I sent them) and determined the fuel pressure is correct. BRP now wants them to put another purge valve in and see what happens. I would think that a purge valve failure and then a replacement purge valve failure would be rare but not unprecedented. They are waiting for the valve and then will see what is going on after replacement. The black tape over the check engine light might be the best repair once it's off warranty!

Spyder Garage

Well it's been a month and the Spyder has been returned. They again changed the purge valve (this is the second replacement valve), updated the ECM and updated the DPS. They put 30 miles on it and deemed it OK. They dropped off the bike at my home (nice touch) and left. I took it for a ride and got about a block from the house and got a flashing check engine light, the "key" symbol on the dash and a notification that I was in limp home mode. Drove back and tried to see what the code was but upon restart everything seems to have gone away and the vehicle shows no codes in history. Looks like it was unhappy with my key the first time I drove it. Longer ride tomorrow hopefully it won't be stranding me on the freeway.