Spyder Garage

Default Mirror removal on 2013 ST limited

Is the mirror removal process the same as it is on the RT's as demonstrated here:

Or is it different?? Thanks for your help!!!
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

[QUOTE=ARCTIC;1248055]Is the mirror removal process the same as it is on the RT's as demonstrated here:

Or is it different?? Thanks for your help....................No they are not the same style or mounting type ......... Sooooooooooo Only if you have modified your ST to have RT mirrors .......... I looked into this because I wanted to do Magnets for mounting the ST mirrors ....NOT GONNA HAPPEN . ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ok. So how do I remove them???
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1248068]
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Is the mirror removal process the same as it is on the RT's as demonstrated here:

Or is it different?? Thanks for your help....................No they are not the same style or mounting type ......... Sooooooooooo Only if you have modified your ST to have RT mirrors .......... I looked into this because I wanted to do Magnets for mounting the ST mirrors ....NOT GONNA HAPPEN . ........... Mike
    Actually mine were kind of the same on my '13STL (not sure why ?)
    first & foremost proceed with caution! the wind deflectors have bolts that go into the mirror & body panel tho, I did also brake one spring clip by not putting back on correctly
    trained tech & White lithium grease helps.
    Made me not want to try pulling them off again. PITA
    Fyi my last attempt was December 2015
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-18-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Ok. So how do I remove them???
    I can't say exactly so I won't try ..... all of the aftermarket Parts sellers have PARTS Fiches' you can look at and see in advance exactly what pieces are involved and how they go together ..... If you plan to do much maintenance I would get a Green Manual ( or similar ) from on-line source ( $22-25 ) ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ST mirrors

Several screws under and behind. Remove those, and the plastic covers, and once all fasteners are removed, they snap off like RT mirrors. A bit more convoluted, but easy enough. Take your time, remove all fasteners.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I can't say exactly so I won't try ..... all of the aftermarket Parts sellers have PARTS Fiches' you can look at and see in advance exactly what pieces are involved and how they go together ..... If you plan to do much maintenance I would get a Green Manual ( or similar ) from on-line source ( $22-25 ) ....... Mike
    Sadly, this is my last operation on the bike. I'm taking it apart so I can remove the ISCI handbrake to sell. I'm going to be spyderless by the weekend. I have it traded for a 2015 camaro convertible.
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Several screws under and behind. Remove those, and the plastic covers, and once all fasteners are removed, they snap off like RT mirrors. A bit more convoluted, but easy enough. Take your time, remove all fasteners.
    That is a good idea. I'll look at the microfiche and see what it looks like. Gotta get it popped off tomorrow. Maybe I can fish the brake line out of there without removing the mirror??
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 04-19-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Like mentioned above,
    Remove the two screws at the bottom of the mirror
    Remove the clear deflector
    Then pop off the lower black plastic cover
    Then remove the now exposed outer most edge Torx screw
    Now pull off upper black plastic cover
    Now, with the palm of your hand smack upward on the on the mirror assembly, that will dislodge the 2 lower most attaching points
    Now slide the whole mirror upward off the top locating lug.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Like mentioned above,
    Remove the two screws at the bottom of the mirror
    Remove the clear deflector
    Then pop off the lower black plastic cover
    Then remove the now exposed outer most edge Torx screw
    Now pull off upper black plastic cover
    Now, with the palm of your hand smack upward on the on the mirror assembly, that will dislodge the 2 lower most attaching points
    Now slide the whole mirror upward off the top locating lug.
    Thanks!!! Appreciate it

Spyder Garage

Default Re-install mirror

My RH mounting bracket broke. I've replaced it but can't seem to gain enough clearance to slide the top pin into its slot. Do I need to remove the plastic body panel above where the mirror goes? HELP PLEASE!

Spyder Garage

Default ST Mirror Removal and Replacement

Here is info about the ST mirrors that I have collected over time. See the italics near the bottom of the post.

Mirror Removal on ST
    I took the left mirror off yesterday. What a pain in the butt. It really isn't that bad except the service manual instructions are just plain wrong.

The first step of removing the 2 allen head screws in the deflector. Remove deflector.
    Remove the bottom plastic cover.
    Remove the torx screw holding the top plastic cover and remove the cover.
    Next service manual instructions is to disconnect the signal light wire. That is wrong that is 2 steps too early and can't be done yet.
    The service manual says to push the mirror rearward well that's wrong. You need to lift the outside of the mirror to release the bottom 2 pins from the spring loaded snaps.
    When the bottom 2 pins are free lift the whole mirror assembly up to release the top pin.
    After mirror assembly is loose disconnect the signal light wire.
    Remove the base mounting plate by removing the 4 allen head screws.

Yup the manual is way wrong.
    After you remove the deflector, the bottom and top covers... give the mirror a sharp rap straight up. Hit it from the bottom about 2-3 inches out to get some leverage. It will 'bust' loose the two bottom pins from the wire spring type sockets. It will indeed sound like its broken. Then nudge it up a bit more to release the top pin.

When you replace it,
    1. slide the top down into the 'V' shaped slot
    2. then a firm press in on the bottom will snap the two bottom pins into the spring sockets.

I put anti-seize on the two spring sockets (a tip from Spyderpops - Harvey) which helps them slide in and seems to make removal a bit easier. Did this on the RT mirrors and it made their removal much smoother.

Hope this helps
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info. I am getting ready to change my LH mount and was curious about the procedure to remove the mirror.
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

When you pop those two bottom pins loose, you have a very small angle of tilt available in order to slide the top pin upward and out of its slot. The top slot has three plastic tabs forming a “U” shape. They will break very easily if you pull the lower portion of the mirror too far away from where they snap out of their clips. Go slowly and move carefully.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

All fixed, thanks for the info. Mine was nowhere near as stubborn as you described, but your instructions were on point.

For any others who are searching for this in the future, I am attaching a pic of my broken part and the new one (broken on bottom). I don't quite understand the design of the the top pin holder. It seems like it was meant to breakaway. You can see my broken one has a big square hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Two years later, this post is still helpful...I broke my RH mirror off, same as above. I could not figure out how to snap the bottom two prongs into place. This thread and some silicone lube sealed the deal! Thanks!!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan