Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT limited versus 2016 RT s

Considering changing from my 2011 limited to a 2016 Rt-S. What am I going to 'lose' by going to the RT s? Vice versus, what would I gain. The limited has 20,000 mile, 10,000 we put on it.

Insights.....

Spyder Garage

You will lose the GPS and the real chrome trim. For me, that was $2K I did not need to spend. I love my 2014 RT-S. It has everything but the above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You will gain a superior motor, large gas tank, a 6th gear a longer maintenances interval which means you'll save money and can afford to buy a GPS. I'd just keep the GPS and luggage from your 11. Plus the RTS looks way better with the black handle bars and black pieces than the 11 with the gray pieces.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What she said!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

x 2 ...
    It's not about what you're losing: it's about what you're gaining!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here's my (that is, our) two cents. My Spyder is a 2015 RT-S while my wife's is a 2012 RT Limited. Both were purchased used, and we each like ours better than the other. That is to say, I like mine and she likes hers. I like the smoothness of the triple while she likes the character and sound of the twin. That might be explained by the fact that my "other bike" is a BMW K75S "Flying Brick" triple while her "other bike" is a Honda CTX700 twin.

Hers has the stock GPs while I added one of my favorite Garmin units to mine using a similar "center of the bar" mount. Hers has Seal floorboards and I'm rather jealous about that but it isn't stock so the comparison is invalid, but I still like them a lot. I also like the sixth gear on mine, but when riding hers I don't seem to miss it as much as I might have expected. Mine gets better mileage but it doesn't seem to interfere with our travels. Maybe secretly I appreciate stopping to refuel and being able to stretch a bit more often now that I'm in my seventh decade.

And not that it's a big deal at this point in our ownership, but I appreciate being able to remove the battery from mine without having to search for a video to tell me the tricks and tips necessary to remove the battery from her 2012 model (see Finless Bob's "here's how you really do it" video). It's also a snap to replace the stock horn on mine while hers requires disassembly of the entire front end to remove and replace using the same mounting location. Guess that's why several members have said leave the stock horn in place and mount a better one somewhere else. Good plan.

Perhaps the most significant difference we've found is that the newer models don't pump enormous amounts of heat onto ones right foot as does the 2012. Not only is the gaping hole on the right side well, a gaping hole, it's also a furnace exhaust! Blanking plate and associated mods were one of the first changes she asked to be made. She's happier now, meaning I'm happier as well.

Lastly, but limited to us, is the fact that I like the look of hers better. It's red and chrome while mine is black on black on black. Both are handsome in their own right although I would have appreciated something a little less stealth. But, for the price I can accept stealth. Application of Wrap My Spyder accents has helped somewhat, in my opinion, although it doesn't exactly stand out. And, depending on wind direction, if someone opens a bag of flour in Boston or San Francisco I'll find the dust on my Spyder shortly thereafter!

I'm not sure this is of any help but it did allow us to make sort of an extended introduction and for that we say thank you.

Last edited by Arion; 04-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)