Thread: Check Engine

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine

On my ride home last week in stop and go traffic, not unusual, my check engine light came on. I finished the ride home as it was only 20 miles, and I have had two vacuum leaks recently. I got home and checked for error codes, there were not any listed. The screen was just grey.

Checked the oil, it was just above the add line. I added some oil and filled up with gas. When I got gas, I poured in a can of Seafoam and did a short drive. The check engine is still on, but still no error codes. Bike runs fine otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Besides being a warning for any 'critical' engine issues, the Check Engine light is also the 'catch-all' warning light for any other issues that don't have a dedicated light of their own!! So you probably won't ever know or be able to find out what the issue is/was until you get to read all the stored fault codes!! There may not be a current fault code showing right now, but there will be at least one stored somewhere, cos whatever the fault was, it triggered the check engine light!!

So if you can't get the fault codes to display thru whichever applicable button press sequence applies for your model, you might hafta visit someone with BUDS to get the stored codes read & the fault investigated/the check engine trigger re-set!! It might be something as trivial as a failure to read a sensor, or a fuel surge in the tank causing a momentary loss of fuel pressure; or something as critical as an oil pump failure & your engine's gonna blow if you keep running it (but somehow I doubt the latter - that'd normally also trigger 'limp mode'!) Still, you just won't know how trivial/bad it is/might be until you get the fault codes checked!!

In the meantime, how lucky are you feeling??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While the Spyder is still running with the Chrck Engine light on you need to pull the codes.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Issue resolved

The dealer said the check engine light was on because the front brake pads were worn. The rear pads were replaced about 3000 miles ago. I guess I should have had the front ones done at the same time.

Spyder Garage

What the dealer told you makes no sense at all.

But if it is fixed. Don't worry and drive on.

2018 F3 LIMITED