Spyder Garage

Default 2014 ST-L Fuel Vapor Smell and Drip from Canister Vent

Hello, I'm wondering if there is supposed to be an EVAP update for the 2014 ST-L? It's got just over 7000 miles on it and I'm noticing a few drips after a ride on the garage floor coming from the charcoal canister vent line that pokes out the right side underbelly plastic. I seem to be noticing a little more fuel smell than I had before as well. Is this telling me that my charcoal canister is now full of gas somehow? Thanks.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I have the gas odor issue with my 2013 STS, no dripping though, but odor is real heavy especially when I fill the tank and go directly back home.
    I read a couple of threads here that were about BRP issued a Tech Bulletin about the purge valve not functioning properly and replacing same.
    I don't remember if it was a no charge item or not.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I posted the same question over here as well. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Canister-Vent

I have the Spyder booked in for next week. The service writer was already leaning toward me overfilling the tank of course. They're going to diagnose it and get back to me. I really think there's a purge valve issue seeing they don't even list the old style purge valves on the parts breakdowns anymore. Now there is a much more elaborate purge valve that includes hoses, filters and check valves so it's obvious BRP knew there was an issue.

Yesterday we rode it about 60 miles on the tank of gas that's currently in it and I had a lot of gas fumes in the garage and a small puddle on the floor under the canister vent.

Spyder Garage

I have the same gas smell happening on a 2013 STS. I can see gas vaporizing under the engine area when looking under machine. Looks like terrible fire hazard. Where is this canister located and which panels need the be taken off the get to it?

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

I've had this smell ever since I bought my '13 ST-L. Never gas on the ground though. Am interested to find out what tupperwear needs to be removed to find this canister.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

My bike is a 2013 STS. The canister is on the right (throttle) side.
    Midship almost parallel with the Gas Cap.
    See the following thread.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...canisterectomy
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Canister-ectomy. The only way to get a permanent solution. Cheap, easy and 100% effective.

See post #1 here....
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=ectomy
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-11-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I ended up having the dealer replace the canister under warranty. Then I took it home and added a longer section of hose that goes from the fuel tank to the canister. I routed it so it went way up under the center console, then added a loop so there was no way for gas to flow up the hose and into the vapor canister. I haven't any any problems since.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Hi there, I'm new to all this, but I have a bad fuel smell too but can't ever seem to find where it's coming from. No puddle or drips detected. I am noticing I'm going through fuel like crazy like not even a hundred miles to a tank. All I could think of was the movie Ghost Rider and hopefully not go up in flames. I'll check my canister as well but does anyone have a clue if all the roadster fuel tanks are the same size? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth without a conversion, the 2013 & earlier RT's have a 22 litre tank; while the RT's from 2014 on (up until 2019 anyway, not sure about 2020 RT's? ) have a 26 litre tank.

But regardless of model, it does sound like you've got something that's a bit more of a problem going on there possum!

Still, it would help us to know what year/model Spyder you do have - you can add that info to your sig line (for an example, see the bottom of this post for my Spyder info) by clicking on 'My Profile' up in the top Right of the page & editing your signature to include at least that info.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possumchaser View Post
    Hi there, I'm new to all this, but I have a bad fuel smell too but can't ever seem to find where it's coming from. No puddle or drips detected. I am noticing I'm going through fuel like crazy like not even a hundred miles to a tank. All I could think of was the movie Ghost Rider and hopefully not go up in flames. I'll check my canister as well but does anyone have a clue if all the roadster fuel tanks are the same size? Thanks in advance.
    See your profile says 2012 RT so probably just shifting at wrong rpms. Read the Do’s & Do nots for tips there, will be able to see some improvement just following tips. believe tanks are 6 gallon(don’t hold me to it) but that’s counting reserve too. Not good idea to get too close to topping off, with the purge valve & charcoal canister easily damaged from fuel getting in them. & all subsequent problems there after.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-12-2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Read profile

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I Did the cannisterectoy.....Best dang thing ive done for this machine! Fixed the problem for less than 10 bucks. Wish I had done it years ago!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possumchaser View Post
    I have pics in one of my Albums on how I fixed mine by changing the tubing connections to the cannister .... This was for both my V-twins .... BRP changed the routing for the 1330 engine and from diagrams it doesn't look like GAS can actually get to the cannister now ...... What you smell is very likely to be gas that has flooded the cannister .... it will eventually dry out, but preventing it from getting anymore in there is paramount ... ( see my album - cost was for a new length of hose ............ good luck ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    For what it's worth without a conversion, the 2013 & earlier RT's have a 22 litre tank; while the RT's from 2014 on (up until 2019 anyway, not sure about 2020 RT's? ) have a 26 litre tank.

But regardless of model, it does sound like you've got something that's a bit more of a problem going on there possum!

Still, it would help us to know what year/model Spyder you do have - you can add that info to your sig line (for an example, see the bottom of this post for my Spyder info) by clicking on 'My Profile' up in the top Right of the page & editing your signature to include at least that info.
    Thanks for the info! Sorry about the long delay, but I got a 2012 rt roadster audio and convience and I replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump and all the ines to and from tnk. I believe my next move is the evap canister. We rode this ast weekend and still catching a whiff of fuel and guage doesn't drop as fast. I refueled today and I'm getting 29.5 mpg. I figuered it would do a little better than that but Idk. As to putting more info on my profile like everyone has ,I went to my profile to add and I must be pretty slow at this because I couldn't add more. Thank you for the help.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike I'll check it out. Took it out this weekend and still had a whiff after changing tank, pump and all the lines to and from tank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    See your profile says 2012 RT so probably just shifting at wrong rpms. Read the Do’s & Do nots for tips there, will be able to see some improvement just following tips. believe tanks are 6 gallon(don’t hold me to it) but that’s counting reserve too. Not good idea to get too close to topping off, with the purge valve & charcoal canister easily damaged from fuel getting in them. & all subsequent problems there after.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Thank you I'll check this out. I checked milage today after topping off and I got 29.5 mpg. I feel it should be better but I'm not sure what milageyou all get. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Mike:

I completed this. I pathed the new tube to the back of the bike away from the exhaust. Gas tank was only quarter full. After a short ride, I had fumes and gas dripping out of the hose. Did you have the same result? Do you think this is due to the heat and gas boiling in the fuel tank? Your opinion and advise are most welcome. 2013 STS

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STS that I did a canisterectomy last year also installed a fast fill gas cap.
    Currently 31.5 MPG
    I recently started getting a wiff of fumes at stop lights and in the garage after a long ride. No gas drips.
    I believe my vent hose has come loose or failed in some way. I plan to reroute and extend the
    vent hose loop higher up above the old canister location. Also plan to replace the new gas cap with the original cap.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brashfam4 View Post
    Mike:

I completed this. I pathed the new tube to the back of the bike away from the exhaust. Gas tank was only quarter full. After a short ride, I had fumes and gas dripping out of the hose. Did you have the same result? Do you think this is due to the heat and gas boiling in the fuel tank? Your opinion and advise are most welcome. 2013 STS
    If I'm the " Mike " you are referring to .... what the pic in my Album showed was - how I prevented gas from getting into the Cannister .... I eneded any smell and never saw drips from any tank overflow. .... I always filled the gas tank right to the LIP.... if there was any boiling - it occurred when I was riding, but not after it was parked ..... I would check for leaking from any hose connection ..... good luck .... Mike