Thread: Air Vest

Spyder Garage

Default Air Vest

I am thinking about purchasing a Hit Air air vest for riding.
    Does anyone else have any experience with air vest's?
    BTW, I called my insurance company (Progressive) and they really don't care about
    my safety, only the safety of my Spyder. No extra deductions for safety equipment
    like helmets, boots or air bags. Go Figure

Spyder Garage

I am going to watch this thread also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does the attitude of the insurance company really surprise you ? You would think they at least want us around to pay the premium.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Rogue Hawk has a vest... PM him!

They don't care about safety gear because it doesn't doesn't always end up being worn...

... and that always seems to happen at the most inopportune times!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i think it is a good idea, and i also like the idea that honda put it on their wing, as a option
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that Rogue Hawk has a vest... PM him!

They don't care about safety gear because it doesn't doesn't always end up being worn...

... and that always seems to happen at the most inopportune times!
    Murphy's Law does seem to kick in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought the Helite air bag vest. Its a bit bulky, but its because its very well made. The only real problem is the Velcro on the collar. It will chaff. I fixed that by covering it will the opposite Velcro strip. It is suppose to be even more protective that the armor professional racers use. So I think its worth the bit of discomfort wearing it. I got it from Revzilla and saved $30 on my next order. So it was a good deal.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...le-airbag-vest
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I bought the Helite air bag vest. Its a bit bulky, but its because its very well made. The only real problem is the Velcro on the collar. It will chaff. I fixed that by covering it will the opposite Velcro strip. It is suppose to be even more protective that the armor professional racers use. So I think its worth the bit of discomfort wearing it. I got it from Revzilla and saved $30 on my next order. So it was a good deal.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...le-airbag-vest
    they only go up to XL. i guess they feel if your fatter then that, you have enough padding of your own
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i think it is a good idea, and i also like the idea that honda put it on their wing, as a option
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The problem with the gold wing bag it does not help if you are thrown from the bike.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Posted on 9-14-16 Air Vest saves life

Airbag Vest Saves Can Am Rider In T-Bone Accident

FYI...from an earlier post of mine last year.....good outcome!

Just saw this article....sorry if it's a duplicate. This happened in MN at the end of July 2016. Thought I would share a good outcome considering a crash and the rider being thrown from the bike.

Article:

The huge amounts of money poured into the development of self-inflating vests that deploy in the case of an accident are not in vain. An elderly rider got miraculously saved in an accident by one of them airbag-fitted protective garments.

According to a report, Jim Rasmussen, 74, got involved in a crash this summer while riding his Can-Am roadster and lived to tell the story. He was riding to Glenwood, Minnesota, and right before an intersection, a car pulled out in front of the trike, sending him flying 12 to 15 feet into the air.

The first responders soon arrived at the scene and were staggered to see the man lying on the ground but looking totally fine and being conscious. After what they’ve been through, such accidents usually end up nasty, so you can imagine the confusion.

Then they saw a tethered cord and asked Jim what it was. Rasmussen responded it was his vest, an airbag vest, actually. With the situation understood, the paramedics canceled the LifeLink helicopter that had been dispatched, and took Jim to a hospital with an ambulance.

Jim and his wife have been riding together for 40 years, clocking around 400,000 miles (643,700 km), but never went without protective gear. “We have always had gear on,” said Jim. “It’s hideously expensive, but definitely worth it.”

The Helite vest he was wearing saved his life and even spared him of other traumas. He was ready to go home after one night at the hospital. The vest uses a rigid neck brace and firm support to the back and chest.

It gets tethered to the handlebars of the motorcycle and in case you fly off, a spring-loaded piston pierces the CO2 cartridge on the front, instantly inflating the airbag around the neck and body.

Mr. Jim traded his BMW motorcycle last fall for the Can-Am Spyder to offer him more stability as his riding skills started to wear off with age. Still, he didn’t give up on the amount of riding gear he wore.

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ai...#ixzz4KGTe6H00
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-17-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    I had heard, that Honda stopped producing the Gold Wing with the air bag. But still produce the GW with the navigation, and audio/comfort packages. If the Spyder RT-Limited can come standard with an almost $900 Garmin Zumo gps, adding an air bag shouldn't be that difficult to include.

Spyder Garage

Default My experience

I own a Hit Air mesh jacket that is several years old and wore it every time I rode my Goldwing. Fortunately, it was never needed. The jacket is high quality and has held up well for about 5 years. However, it has turned a dingy gray after many miles and I didn't want to continue wearing it without brighter colors and a proper anchor spot to tether to the bike. I now wear an Olympia mesh jacket with mostly white, some red and some black to be seen better and because I feel safer on the Spyder.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I ordered the Helite Turtle vest over the weekend. It hasn't arrived yet, but I am looking forward to wearing it.

The tether is supposed to be attached to the frame under the seat, and there is a wee little gap just aft of the glove compartment. I'll see if I can thread it through there; hopefully it won't interfere with the seat.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

Default Hit Air Bag Vest

I have been wearing a Hit Air Bag Vest for a couple years. I love it. It is a little bulky but not a big deal. Just another layer of safety.

Spyder Garage

Default Where to attach airbag jacket tether

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I ordered the Helite Turtle vest over the weekend. It hasn't arrived yet, but I am looking forward to wearing it.

The tether is supposed to be attached to the frame under the seat, and there is a wee little gap just aft of the glove compartment. I'll see if I can thread it through there; hopefully it won't interfere with the seat.
    So can you post a picture of the tether spot? I am trying to figure out where to attach. I also want to attach a tether for my wife as well. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

On our recent MN Caswell Riders Bemidji Trip I believe there was one couple and another single driver wearing these vest on their Spyder. The passengers tether was attached to the passenger handles, the drivers came up between the seat and the tank. Wish I'd have taken pics, but I'm sure someone has.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No actual personal experience but we bought my fiancee's daughter one of the equestrian versions for her riding. They're used a lot in competitions. I tried it on and it wasn't bulky at all, though they do have bulkier ones for fuller coverage.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow