Spyder Garage

Default My old 2011 RS vs my new 2015 F3S

I traded in my 2011 RS in on the 2015 F3 last October. I really didn't have that many rides on it before I had to put it away for the winter. We had some great weather the last few days and I've been taking it to work back and forth and getting a better feel for it. I miss the large front storage on the RS and V-twin sound, but that's it. My new F3 handles better, brakes quicker, looks cooler, is more comfortable for me and my wife, and is plenty fast. I definitely need the driver backrest for it though, it's hard to hang on when accelerating fast. The engine has turbine smooth low-end torque, steady but somewhat mellow midrange power, but surprisingly the top end is where this thing rips. 5k to 7.5k rpm's is where it really gets moving and makes the best and most exciting power and pull. My RS revved higher but made its strongest power in the mid-range from 4K to 6.5k rpm's. After that it would sound great and keep revving, but would lose its thrust as it revved higher. Don't be afraid to rev the F3 out, it's a great torquey engine, but it's real performance lies higher in the rev range. I'm really enjoying it and glad I made the trade. I loved the RS, but I love the F3 even more.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wheeler View Post
    I traded in my 2011 RS in on the 2015 F3 last October. I really didn't have that many rides on it before I had to put it away for the winter. We had some great weather the last few days and I've been taking it to work back and forth and getting a better feel for it. I miss the large front storage on the RS and V-twin sound, but that's it. My new F3 handles better, brakes quicker, looks cooler, is more comfortable for me and my wife, and is plenty fast. I definitely need the driver backrest for it though, it's hard to hang on when accelerating fast. The engine has turbine smooth low-end torque, steady but somewhat mellow midrange power, but surprisingly the top end is where this thing rips. 5k to 7.5k rpm's is where it really gets moving and makes the best and most exciting power and pull. My RS revved higher but made its strongest power in the mid-range from 4K to 6.5k rpm's. After that it would sound great and keep revving, but would lose its thrust as it revved higher. Don't be afraid to rev the F3 out, it's a great torquey engine, but it's real performance lies higher in the rev range. I'm really enjoying it and glad I made the trade. I loved the RS, but I love the F3 even more.
    Thanks for this review. I am in the process of trading my 2012 RSS in on a 2016 F3T. I have only had my RSS for about 5 months, but I am really impressed with the power. After taking another test ride on the F3T, I was convinced that I wanted to give it a try. I really don't think it is giving up much on power.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

on your new F3.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy !!

Spyder Garage

and I totally agree with your assessment of the F3 compared to the RS/GS.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thanks for this review. I am in the process of trading my 2012 RSS in on a 2016 F3T. I have only had my RSS for about 5 months, but I am really impressed with the power. After taking another test ride on the F3T, I was convinced that I wanted to give it a try. I really don't think it is giving up much on power.
    You're definitely not giving up the power, it's just a different type of power. I was a stubborn hold out with the F3, thought there was no way it would be better than my RS until I finally test drove one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    and I totally agree with your assessment of the F3 compared to the RS/GS.
    Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Looks like we might have twin versions. I too unleashed the F3S really for the first time last weekend. My son (and his Suzuki GSX600R) went out for a ride the first time and I had to use all the RPMs in each gear to try and stay with him. It was unbelievable at the 6500+ RPM range - a place I hadn't take it before. Enjoy. PS. I also purchased the detachable passenger backrest for the wifey but still wanted that clean look when she's not on the back with me.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Looks like we might have twin versions. I too unleashed the F3S really for the first time last weekend. My son (and his Suzuki GSX600R) went out for a ride the first time and I had to use all the RPMs in each gear to try and stay with him. It was unbelievable at the 6500+ RPM range - a place I hadn't take it before. Enjoy. PS. I also purchased the detachable passenger backrest for the wifey but still wanted that clean look when she's not on the back with me.
    Nice! She really moves at those rpm's doesn't it? I think there may be a lot of people with F3's that think they are just low rpm torque machines and don't realize the power they have in the upper rpm's. I have the detachable passenger backrest for my wife too. I just ordered the driver backrest last night.