Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering Purchasing a Spyder - A Few Questions?

Hi, I'm 64 years old, and I guess that I'm going thru a mid (late? ) - life crisis. I'm considering purchasing a Spyder and have a few questions that I hope the experienced riders here can answer for me.

First, I need some guidance as to which model would be most appropriate for me. I've got some arthritis in the low back/hips so comfort will be the overriding consideration. If there's a model with a backrest (or an optional backrest) for the DRIVER, that would be great. I don't plan on doing overnight trips so lots of storage won't be necessary (although some storage will be - for minor shopping etc.). I also DON'T expect to ever have a passenger. Most riding will be around town and on local country/rural roads - not very much on highways/interstates. So, based on that, my first glance thru the information I've found online seems to indicate that the F3 might be most appropriate - mostly because of it's riding position and the supposed feel that you're IN the bike rather than ON it (which minimizes lateral G forces). Would you agree with a choice of F3, or recommend something else for me.?

Second, I have two dealerships within reasonable distance of me. One is about 5 miles away and the other is 40 miles away. I know nothing about either's reputation. So, is there a tool, either on this website or elsewhere, that might list positive/negative reviews of dealerships?

Third - When purchasing a Spyder, is it customary to negotiate price (similar to purchasing a new car)? My local dealer lists MSRP and their (lower price) on the Spyders in their showroom. So, I'm not sure whether that leaves room for negotiation. Thoughts?

I'm sure that I'll have lots of other questions as I go thru this process, but these first three come to mind right now. So, any thoughts on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Hi, I'm 64 years old, and I guess that I'm going thru a mid (late? ) - life crisis. I'm considering purchasing a Spyder and have a few questions that I hope the experienced riders here can answer for me.

First, I need some guidance as to which model would be most appropriate for me. I've got some arthritis in the low back/hips so comfort will be the overriding consideration. If there's a model with a backrest (or an optional backrest) for the DRIVER, that would be great. I don't plan on doing overnight trips so lots of storage won't be necessary (although some storage will be - for minor shopping etc.). I also DON'T expect to ever have a passenger. Most riding will be around town and on local country/rural roads - not very much on highways/interstates. So, based on that, my first glance thru the information I've found online seems to indicate that the F3 might be most appropriate - mostly because of it's riding position and the supposed feel that you're IN the bike rather than ON it (which minimizes lateral G forces). Would you agree with a choice of F3, or recommend something else for me.?

Second, I have two dealerships within reasonable distance of me. One is about 5 miles away and the other is 40 miles away. I know nothing about either's reputation. So, is there a tool, either on this website or elsewhere, that might list positive/negative reviews of dealerships?

Third - When purchasing a Spyder, is it customary to negotiate price (similar to purchasing a new car)? My local dealer lists MSRP and their (lower price) on the Spyders in their showroom. So, I'm not sure whether that leaves room for negotiation. Thoughts?

I'm sure that I'll have lots of other questions as I go thru this process, but these first three come to mind right now. So, any thoughts on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    If you listed your city, others near you might chime in with good/bad about a dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're riding solo, and just need storage for incidental shopping trips: take a look at the F3-T.
    You can add a backrest to it, and you should be good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The best way to find out which model suits you is to test ride them. Once you've decided on a model, check prices on line and use that as a negotiating tool. I don't know how far upstate you are but I can recommend Jerry at Crossbay Motorsports in Queens. They will let you test ride. They were very helpful and professional when I purchased my RT last month and I am very happy with the experience.

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If you listed your city, others near you might chime in with good/bad about a dealer.
    Done. Thanks.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome aboard

Nothing better than a good dealer!!

Also be sure to check out this very important thread here on the Forum - should help answer questions, etc.:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Nothing beats a test ride -- both the RT model and the F3 model.

I have a driver backrest on my 2014 RT-S - I love the comfort of the bike and the storage space - great for fast trips to town to pick up stuff at Walmart, etc.

You might consider used bikes as well. I'd stick to bikes with the 3 cylinder engine - 6 speed transmission. I really do not care for the manual transmission and really enjoy the lever shifting but this is just me and has nothing to do with replying to your original questions.

As far as price. There are a lot of members here that have purchased bikes from dealers that were out of their area -- bikes were fully serviced and packed up and delivered all at a very nice price. Something else to consider. Myself - I like my dealer and did not hesitate in the purchase of my latest bike from him.

Good luck on your hunt. Remember that Black Bikes Rule! (My brother might argue that - his 2015 RT is RED ---- and my daughter would argue as well as her bike is WHITE).

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

With you situation you will probably need a Ultimate seat w/ backrest. The stock seats are not that comfortable. Seal floorboards (or BRP) are a must in my book. 62 here.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

While the F -T may appear to more in line with how you would use the bike, the RT may be more comfortable for you in the long run considering your aches and pains. So, follow the advice you have already received and give both a test drive.

Spyder Garage

Default Shad bags

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

If you're riding solo, and just need storage for incidental shopping trips: take a look at the F3-T.
    You can add a backrest to it, and you should be good to go!
    The alternative is a F3 or F3S with Shad bags added. That's what I did and am happy with the storage. I can use the bike for weekly grocery shopping now instead of having to take the car.

Spyder Garage

I would make my decision based on what is in my wallet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had RTs and now an F3T. Of course I prefer the F3 positioning better, but you really have to test-sit and then test-ride to know what's best for you.

As to dealers, I'd find out from people in your area which dealer they'd recommend. But you can get some good deals by dealing over the net and phone and having one shipped to you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

I've had RTs and now an F3T. Of course I prefer the F3 positioning better, but you really have to test-sit and then test-ride to know what's best for you.
    Ergonomics matter...

Ergos F-3.jpgErgos RT.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Ask yourself, do I want a comfortable couch, or a cruiser ride? That is kind of the difference between an RT or an F3 version.

You really need to get aboard each version and test drive to see which you like. Cost wise, there is NOT much difference these days.

If you do not have a trade, there is some room to deal. MSRP and visible prices on the tag are "starting" points. There are extended warranties, accessories, free break-in service, etc. All are negotiable.

DOC fees, shipping, set up--most of us don't pay these. Shop for your own financing if needed. Get the number ahead of time. Interest rates are important. Have you heard of dealer reserve? EG: They get 5% from the financing agency. You get offered 8%. The dealer pockets the difference. If you have a better number, you can enforce that one.

I suggest you put at least 1000 miles on before making any major modifications, seats, swaybars, etc. Get to know what you like before spending big bucks. Lights are good from the get go.

Locals will have good information on dealers.

Enjoy the hunt. Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome, I went through this mid last year. I just had knee replacement so the rider position was huge for me and the F3 T has the adjustable foot position as well. I don't ride 2 up and don't need a lot of storage. I waited till year end ( September) and got a fantastic price on a new in crate but considered a left over. I am very happy with this choice as it rides great and is very comfortable for me. There is an optional rider back rest but I didn't get it, I am guessing you could add this at any time in the future.

Good luck.

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

As others have stated, test ride the RT and F3 models if possible. When I bought my first RT Limited in 2011 I bought it without a test ride (there are a lot of others that did the same, buying without trying). The 2011 over time had too many design issues for me like the radiator heat blowing on your right leg.

I sold that and purchased a 2015 RTS. Big improvement over 2011 in many aspects including bigger engine (1330 triple), 6 speed transmission and two radiators that blow to the front instead of on the driver which were the biggest improvements.

I just test drove a F3 Limited the other day. The biggest differences for me was less wind blowing on the driver, i.e., the RT has more "beef" up front to deflect wind (cold/rain), on the RT the windshield can be raised and lowered to help deflect the air which is helpful in colder temps and the rain. The F3 has no option to raise/lower. You can purchase various size BRP or other company brand windshields to increase or decrease the amount of air blockage on both models. I have a F4 Tall and Wide with a vent on my RT. If I get a F3 I would opt for one also. As I stated above, the down side is it will always be in the "max up" position since there is no option to lower on the F3.

Most RT models come stock with heated grips for both driver/rider and passenger. Only the F3 limited has that as standard for both people. You can purchase the F3 with no driver heated grips on the lower models but can add that as an option. I find I have to have heated grips as I do ride in colder temps often.

Most RT's also has an air adjustable rear suspension with the RTS and Limited being able to do this automatically or with a control on the panel to adjust. The F3's models that have adjustable suspension are manually adjusted under the seat.

The F3 I found much easier when taking curves due to having a lower center of gravity which is a big plus, IMO, for us older folks that want less strain on your arms in the curves.

You are also much lower to the ground so you can climb on the bike without having to step up on the foot pegs/boards.

The BRP rep that was doing the demo rides stated it this way:
    RT's are like driving a Cadillac; F3 like driving a Porsche.
    Last edited by Hokiev; 04-12-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Newbert, welcome to SpyderLovers!!!! Lots of info here, and lots of folks willing to help you!!
    My advice is fairly simple, choose the model Spyder you want by the seat of your pants, if you are not comfortable you will hate the ride and you will have invested a lot of money in a dust catcher, because you will not want to ride it!!! BTW, I am 68, 2 hip replacements and 2 bad knees, and I love riding my Spyder!!!
    My last piece of advice, if you like to save money, I suggest looking at purchasing a left over model, 2016 and 2015 models are still available and will save you a bunch over brand new!!!
    The leftovers are also brand new and you still get the full manufacturer warranty from date of purchase. I'll use mine as an example for you, MSRP on mine was $22,000, it is a 2013
    model that I purchased in 2015, out the door at $14,000.
    Good luck!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

They seem to have covered you with all the bike questions so i will help with the dealer questions, I have experience with the dealer 40 miles to your south and can say that they are a good dealer with reasonable prices and a dedicated spyder tech who is well trained and very good.

now as far as model i think you should buy my 08 gs so i can upgrade to a f3

Spyder Garage

Default consider buying used from a forum member

check out the classifieds on this site - you may strike a great deal!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow -- Thanks for all of the info. This forum sure is a generous community!

I went to the dealer that's located 40 miles from me today, just to check things out for the first time and get acquainted. They had a nice selection of Spyders and I was able to briefly sit on a few to see how they "fit" me. (No test drive because I don't have a license or even a permit yet.) First impression was that the sitting position is much wider than I anticipated - especially on the RT. Although the seat is nice and cushioned, the wide stance was killing my arthritic hip!

Is there any way to make things more comfortable for someone whose pretty stiff and achy in the low back/hip area? (Short of getting into better shape and/or doing some stretching exercises, of course). Or am I destined to give this idea up?

I know that the F3 has the U-Fit system, but we didn't make any adjustments at this point, since I couldn't test drive it anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rudym View Post
    check out the classifieds on this site - you may strike a great deal!
    Good idea - Where would I find them?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Good idea - Where would I find them?

Thanks!
    At the top of the page, click on "Forum" and you'll get a list of the different forum topics. Scroll down until you see something like "For sale and WTB"

Or if you're at the bottom of the page, there's a drop-down list of forum topics, and you can select the same topic from there.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I talked to seymours the other day and she was going to get the ufit demo set up again soon, they sold last years, it makes it pretty easy to see what fits

good luck and keep searching

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely go for the test rides. As far as storage, to me it's like a garage, closets or cellar. Never enough !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Newbert, , plenty of great advice has all ready been given. Get your permit/license and then go for a test ride(s) to find out which one you like best. Good luck, let us know what you decided. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I went back to my local dealer to take another look and ask a few questions about road testing etc. While there, I sat on a few Spyders that they had in the show room. One was a 2016 ST-S (asking $21,299) and the other was a 2016 RTS (asking $26,749). (I think that they each come with a rebate of about $3500 - these prices were pre-rebate, but I'd have to dbl-check that.)

First off, both models had floorboards (as opposed to pegs), which I found to be a real help in getting on and off. The ST-S seemed to have just a tad narrower seating position than the RTS, or maybe it was just my imagination? At any rate, I found the ST-S to be more comfortable. (I thought that RT's generally are supposed to be more comfortable, so I'm a little confused about that.)

All the literature I have (for 2017's) just talks about the F3's and RT's - nothing about an "ST". So can anyone provide me any information (good or bad) about the ST-S? And is that price of $21,299 (pre-rebate) reasonable? (No, I'm not ready to buy -- I'm just gathering info at this point.)

Lots to consider.....

Thanks.