Thread: RT Poltergeist

Spyder Garage

Default RT Poltergeist

I'm convinced that a Poltergeist lives in our RT. When riding season starts, problem, tow to dealer. Middle of season, problem, tow to dealer. Fall - beautiful riding weather - problem, tow to dealer. It's like clockwork now for 3 years, and yes, it's at the dealer now.

"A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

OldGuyinCT, Can you elaborate on what the issues in the past were at least. I have a bone stock 2013 RTL and have only put 2kmiles on mine bought used last fall. I have Farkle envy looking at your signature, but wondering if any/all of them together might be contributing factors.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes please elaborate.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I'm convinced that a Poltergeist lives in our RT. When riding season starts, problem, tow to dealer. Middle of season, problem, tow to dealer. Fall - beautiful riding weather - problem, tow to dealer. It's like clockwork now for 3 years, and yes, it's at the dealer now.

Time to call in a PRIEST.......
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Don't take it to the dealer...take it to a church.. but seriously...what are the issues and is it always the same dealer..?

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes please elaborate.
    Also curious what their resolution was for each issue.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Ghost Busters would be a lot more fun.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Arrow That's just crazy

Glad folks are so interested in the specifics of your Spyders issues.

And, I totally understand your frustration.

Mine has been in the shop for over three weeks - 'again'.

On the bright side. If there is one.

Yours is still under warranty. Yes?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you considered that the problem may be with the dealership?

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Can be but isn't always the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you considered that the problem may be with the dealership?

There must be others whom use the same dealership. Perhaps they will chime in?

After all, it has to be someone's fault. No?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree with everyone on the specifics - are you dealing with a host of problems or one recurring issue?

For what it's worth, I've got 17k miles on my 2014 and it's had one issue (DESS module failed). I'd get on it and head to California or New York and not think twice. (I live in AL)
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default POLTERGEIST

Here is a thread I started which details some of the problems. Yes I am still under warranty. I am on my second dealer. I got to the point with the first one that I would get nauseous at the thought of taking it to them. I won't publicly name this dealer, as there might be repercussions. PM me if you want to know who it is.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-HUGE-SHOUTOUT

Others included - and not necessarily in order - an oil leak which resulted in replacing the valve cover gaskets twice, (dealer said BRP would not cover this under warranty, I made some noise with BRP & they did cover it), endless trips to the dealer for heat/gas fumes/boiling gas in the tank (before the heat recall), a water pump impeller, replacement of BajaRon's spark plug wires which the dealer "broke", a new GPS harness, replaced "frunk" switch on console, heat wrap on the headers, which is coming off, and others that I can't remember unless I pore through my service records, which reminds me that I asked the dealer for all of the warranty records for my Spyder on several occasions, he kept promising to get them to me, then came up with endless excuses, including "I'm having trouble getting them from BRP". Really?

Now I realize that some of this is dealer incompetence, but many are not. At one point they had my Spyder for 52 days, would not return phone calls, and if I just showed up at the dealer, both the service manager and owner were "not available".

The latest is the dreaded "Orange Screen", codes indicating ECM & Yaw Rate Sensor problems and "Limp Home". I was riding last Tuesday (4/4) and the Spyder started darting all over the lane I was in (at 65 mph - had to change my shorts), then got the Orange screen. They also think that there is a clutch problem - the Spyder is shuddering excessively - which I know is not covered under warranty - but that I think can be traced back to the previous dealer leaving bolts off of the clutch cover, and not tightening the remainder correctly, so I am pushing to have the clutch repaired/replaced - if it indeed needs to be - and have BRP whack the previous dealer for the cost of the repair.

So there you have it. As you can imagine, I am not a happy camper.

EDIT: I just checked the previous dealer's website, and they are no longer listing themselves as either a Platinum, Gold, or Silver dealer, for whatever that's worth. I don't believe that they have a BRP certified mechanic at this time. BRP shows them as a Gold dealer.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 04-12-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WOW!

Everyone makes a lemon now and then, and it sure sounds like you found one! A product with real issues coupled with dealers who are only marginally qualified can sour your mood on your byke.

When I had my DESS issue, I got it resolved by emailing Steve at brp.care@brp.com. I'd email him and lay out the full history. Steve monitors this forum and is interested in keeping BRP's name clean.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

Now I am worried, My 2013 limited was working perfect. I brought it in for its routine maintenence and new tires, sway bar and alignment.... I wonder if she'll ever be the same?

Spyder Garage

Good grief, one person has a problem and in this case multiple problems, then others start chiming in about how these things are junk or a certain model or year is the problem. Crap happens and from what I read, now that more information was posted I suspect what many have eluded to, "IT IS THE DEALER".

Someone now thinks their 2013 RT is now falling apart because they need tires, look we all replace our tires many have changed their sway bars, removed guages, changed handlebars and seats, that does not make it bad, we are customizing them. I rode with a fellow the other day with an incredible HD trike, he said that he gas put $15k in the motor alone and another $25k in other accessories. I now have 22,000 miles on my 2013 RTL, I had the light go out on the fuel guage, warranty replace it, I just two weeks ago had the compressor go out, warranty replaced it. This has had fewer problems than either my SUV or car, thank goodness. IT IS A GREAT MACHINE." Oh there was the one times it would not start a a gas station, then I tightened the terminals and away we go! But it was not BRPs fault.

A good dealer has a great service department because they will fix the"lemons", make the owners feel pleased to have made the purchase.

A dealer owner told me once that, "Anybody can sell a vehicle to you once, a good dealer will have you coming back time and again!"

So if you are unhappy with the serviceability of the Byke maybe it is the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 04-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

I would like to apologize if I am a bit harsh, kurt or abrupt as of late. Last year I planned since Christmas to go to Spyderfest, in February I got a pinched nerve in my neck that rendered my left arm almost useless for months, cancelled the plan.

I waited for SF 2017 all year had reservations at Lamplighters, bought my registration, prepped the Byke for months, organized a partner to Ryde there with, bought gear for the trip, all ready to git 'n go, .

Blam, family issues dictate that I stay here, wife tells me to go, but right is right and I cancelled the trip.

Looking forward to SF 2018, I got closer this year than last, so next year, I will be there!

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

So if you are unhappy with the serviceability of the Byke maybe it is the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe, I agree with you that a fair number of problems with MY particular Spyder can indeed be traced back to a dealer who sells and services a lot of many other brands of motorcycles, but evidently, not so many Spyders. This is why I no longer patronize that particular dealer. I think that there are plenty of other dealers out there who do shoddy work, and not just Can-Am dealers. Having said that, was the 2013 RT heat recall caused by shoddy dealer workmanship? No, it was a bad design from the get-go to put the 998 engine into a frame designed for the 1330 because the new engine "wasn't ready yet". That is a direct quote from a representative of BRP to me. BRP took absolutely too long in aggressively addressing the real problems with the RT's, with all of the band-aid fixes, which soured many folks on Spyders in general. Do I think that all Spyders are crap motorcycles? Absolutely not. Sure, they might have problems now and then, but what machinery doesn't? New tires, oil changes, changing brake fluid and coolant, etc. are part of the routine maintenance of any vehicle, be it car, truck, or motorcycle, and yeah, some may grumble about it, but it is just part of owning a vehicle.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that all Spyders are not lemons, just look at the number of folks on this forum who have ridden tens of thousands of miles with little or no problems. I guess maybe my particular Spyder is half a lemon. Not enough to make lemonade with.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 04-12-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have held off replies for a couple days.

IMO: dealer issues or maybe an actual lemon this go around. Bottom line, your seems to be spending way to much time in the shop. The "52 days" incident freaks me out. What were they doing? They sure were not prioritizing the repairs on your unit.

RE: 2013's. That was an issue most would like to see go away. Upside: they recognized a problem, they came up with a fix, most owners were happy--even though it took way to much time.

If you remember, the 2013's were highly touted. So much, that even I kind of got sick of the hype. Several members got to test drive and their opinions showed up here. Then, the crap began to happen. Fires, heat issues, etc . I made the mistake of suggesting in Feb 2013 that there "might" be a problem with the platform. Boy did I get flamed and almost run off the site.

I am hoping you can get your issues solved. My experience has been mostly good over five assorted. I would do it all over again.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-13-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red