Spyder Garage

Default Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

I have a 2016 RT- SE6- that was customized to a Super Cruiser. I purchased the Millennium Falcon straight out of the crate with .03 miles on it. I have been blessed every day since for sure. I have my freedom and self-worth back! I plan on taking him on long rides out of state. Since it is difficult and at times nearly impossible for me to drive a car, I had a hand break and other upgrades done to it in order to help me with my chronic arthritic. I will write more on this soon in other forums. He heals me on the road.

I did extensive research comparing the two Can-am trailer options. I ended up going with a used 2011 – 622 Trailer. I went with a used trailer most specifically because it was bigger than the new Freedom and the lights matched my new machine exactly. The new freedom trailer lights have the look of the new 2017- F3. I felt it did not look as nice together with my RT not to mention I saved nearly 4000 bucks going used. This is after I replaced all the water seals, two new tires and a wiring harness update along with adding a tongue stand (219400190). I of course had to purchase the Can-am hitch for RT- (219400432). The F3 requires a different model hitch kit (219400519) than the RT. Both hitch kits work for the Freedom. The kit includes a light control module, a mud flap and a 1-7/8” ball. The labor cost was about 1.5 hrs. at about $150 additional for the install. Note: if you install the hitch you will lose the axel bolt cover. I could not find a 17mm. machined bolt cover that would work so I simply panted the bolts satin black. (See Pictures) Any other non, Can-am hitch will void Can-am’s warrantee hands down or so I was warned. So, I believe it is not worth saving $100.00 using a generic hitch.

Because I purchased the older trailer, a new trailer wiring harness was needed in order for the 2016 and newer model RT’s to communicate with the older trailer. I can get that part number from my dealer if anyone needs it, please ask. The trailer I purchased has a water management system consisting of one tray that collects water from between the two hoods then drains down a ¾ inch tube. It also has a drain tube from the rear latch. I re-keyed the trailer to match my RT thanks to Can-am giving me an extra cylinder when I bought it.

The trailer is extremely stable, so much so I do not notice a difference in power when it is attached. The trailer does not sway, tilt or even flinch in the slightest way even at 80 MPH. it is very hard to revers park it for me, I need more practice. My only beef with the 622 is that there are no cargo tiedown points at all. I used some old produce boxes and it seems to be fine. The weight does not shift costing me any problems whatsoever.
    Some other comparisons between the two trailers.

· Freedom comes in flat black only.
    · The Freedom has a smaller tapered or triangular shaped cargo area
    · The Freedom has a lesser cargo weight compacity
    · The Freedom has smaller shocks for a smaller trailer
    · The Freedom has the matching lights of the 2017- F3
    · There is no tongue stand yet available for the Freedom, that I know of.
    · The Freedom can only be used with 2016 and newer vehicles

In closing I am very happy with my purchase of the 622 over the Freedom Trailer. There is much misinformation about the 622 going around from people that do not seemingly own one. If there is any other questions please ask.
    Thank you for reading.
    Stevie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stevie; 04-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Stevie, we too have a RT 622 trailer pulled by our RTS.

I noticed you live in Florida also. From experience, you will want to fabricate or buy an overpriced mudflap. With only the BRP mudflap on the hitch assembly, the water sprays off the tire, hitting the mudflap and like your Millennium Falcon can vaporize things, the water spray goes everywhere and is carried upwards and forward from the airflow. The first ride with even a small amount of rain and the wife was not happy as she was kind of soaked on her back.

I designed and fabricated a mud flap for us. Inexpensive, made from Kydex. The black chrome screws cost more than the Kydex.

We use the trailer not only to travel, but also to get groceries, Christmas shop or whatever / whenever.

Spyder Garage

Default reply

[QUOTE=Stevie;1245347]Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

I have a 2016 RT- SE6- that was customized to a Super Cruiser. I purchased the Millennium Falcon straight out of the crate with .03 miles on it. I have been blessed every day since for sure. I have my freedom and self-worth back! I plan on taking him on long rides out of state. Since it is difficult and at times nearly impossible for me to drive a car, I had a hand break and other upgrades done to it in order to help me with my chronic arthritic. I will write more on this soon in other forums. He heals me on the road.

I did extensive research comparing the two Can-am trailer options. I ended up going with a used 2011 – 622 Trailer. I went with a used trailer most specifically because it was bigger than the new Freedom and the lights matched my new machine exactly. The new freedom trailer lights have the look of the new 2017- F3. I felt it did not look as nice together with my RT not to mention I saved nearly 4000 bucks going used. This is after I replaced all the water seals, two new tires and a wiring harness update along with adding a tongue stand (219400190). I of course had to purchase the Can-am hitch for RT- (219400432). The F3 requires a different model hitch kit (219400519) than the RT. Both hitch kits work for the Freedom. The kit includes a light control module, a mud flap and a 1-7/8” ball. The labor cost was about 1.5 hrs. at about $150 additional for the install. Note: if you install the hitch you will lose the axel bolt cover. I could not find a 17mm. machined bolt cover that would work so I simply panted the bolts satin black. (See Pictures) Any other non, Can-am hitch will void Can-am’s warrantee hands down or so I was warned. So, I believe it is not worth saving $100.00 using a generic hitch.

Because I purchased the older trailer, a new trailer wiring harness was needed in order for the 2016 and newer model RT’s to communicate with the older trailer. I can get that part number from my dealer if anyone needs it, please ask. The trailer I purchased has a water management system consisting of one tray that collects water from between the two hoods then drains down a ¾ inch tube. It also has a drain tube from the rear latch. I re-keyed the trailer to match my RT thanks to Can-am giving me an extra cylinder when I bought it.

The trailer is extremely stable, so much so I do not notice a difference in power when it is attached. The trailer does not sway, tilt or even flinch in the slightest way even at 80 MPH. it is very hard to revers park it for me, I need more practice. My only beef with the 622 is that there are no cargo tiedown points at all. I used some old produce boxes and it seems to be fine. The weight does not shift costing me any problems whatsoever.

· Freedom comes in flat black only. Freedom Trailer Comes in Black or Black and Red
    · The Freedom has a lesser cargo weight compacity
    · There is no tongue stand yet available for the Freedom, that I know of. Freedom Trailer uses same tongue stand as the RT-622
    · The Freedom can only be used with 2016 and newer vehicles Freedom Trailer can be used with any Spyder that the RT-622 uses

The Freedom Trailer is not as tall as the RT-622 which allows for better visibility of your Spyder Lights.

Both Trailers are very good in different ways.

Tires and wheels are interchangeable between both trailers

How did you save over $4,000.00 by getting a used 622 when the Freedom Trailer only retails for 3,199.00 ???

Just adding my .02 cents.

I have owned several RT-622s and now own a Freedom Trailer and have been happy with all of them.

Cruzr Joe

In closing I am very happy with my purchase of the 622 over the Freedom Trailer. There is much misinformation about the 622 going around from people that do not seemingly own one. If there is any other questions please ask.
    Thank you for reading.
    Stevie

thanks
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 04-11-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the updates on the 622 vs. the Freedom trailers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

I did extensive research comparing the two Can-am trailer options. I ended up going with a used 2011 – 622 Trailer. I went with a used trailer most specifically because it was bigger than the new Freedom and the lights matched my new machine exactly. The new freedom trailer lights have the look of the new 2017- F3. I felt it did not look as nice together with my RT not to mention I saved nearly 4000 bucks going used. This is after I replaced all the water seals, two new tires and a wiring harness update along with adding a tongue stand (219400190). I of course had to purchase the Can-am hitch for RT- (219400432). The F3 requires a different model hitch kit (219400519) than the RT. Both hitch kits work for the Freedom. The kit includes a light control module, a mud flap and a 1-7/8” ball. The labor cost was about 1.5 hrs. at about $150 additional for the install. Note: if you install the hitch you will lose the axle bolt cover. I could not find a 17mm. machined bolt cover that would work so I simply panted the bolts satin black. (See Pictures) Any other non, Can-am hitch will void Can-am’s warrantee hands down or so I was warned. So, I believe it is not worth saving $100.00 using a generic hitch.

The trailer is extremely stable, so much so I do not notice a difference in power when it is attached. The trailer does not sway, tilt or even flinch in the slightest way even at 80 MPH. it is very hard to revers park it for me, I need more practice. My only beef with the 622 is that there are no cargo tie-down points at all. I used some old produce boxes and it seems to be fine. The weight does not shift costing me any problems whatsoever.

· Freedom comes in flat black only. Freedom Trailer Comes in Black or Black and Red
    · The Freedom has a lesser cargo weight copacity
    · There is no tongue stand yet available for the Freedom, that I know of. Freedom Trailer uses same tongue stand as the RT-622 Can-am lists two different part numbers for the two trailers as listed above.
    · The Freedom can only be used with 2016 and newer vehicles Freedom Trailer can be used with any Spyder that the RT-622 uses Not so, the wiring harness is different and older model 622 need to be upgraded to the new RT harness.
    The Freedom Trailer is not as tall as the RT-622 which allows for better visibility of your Spyder Lights. My lights seem comfortably high and with the rear air bladder full even better. The new lights and harness on the 622 are very visible or I wouldn't use it. I've been hit from behind three times in the past.

Both Trailers are very good in different ways.

How did you save over $4,000.00 by getting a used 622 when the Freedom Trailer only retails for 3,199.00 ??? The new Freedom trailer would of cost me nearly 6000 dollars new from the dealer.

Just adding my .02 cents.

I have owned several RT-622s and now own a Freedom Trailer and have been happy with all of them. Happy for you Joe, just stating my experience. You got a better price than I did for sure.

Cruzr Joe

Thank you for reading.
    Stevie

thanks[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

How did you save over $4,000.00 by getting a used 622 when the Freedom Trailer only retails for 3,199.00 ??? The new Freedom trailer would of cost me nearly 6000 dollars new from the dealer.
    Your dealer was trying to take you to the bank. Time to find a new dealer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have an RT622 trailer, and never had any complaints about the trailer. Some will say they are heavy, but I had it loaded to the max and was able to pull it just fine with my 2013 990 RT LTD. I'm not hooked up yet to haul it with my F3, but plan to do so soon. The trailer is pearl white and doesn't match the triple black F3 Ltd, but I can live with that. Maybe if I ever if I get another Spyder someday, I'll go back to the white. I don't plan to color match the trailer. I like to keep it original and I won' part with the trailer at this time.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Stevie, BRP had a habit of changing the wiring harness for the trailer every year, originally it was a 9 pin round and the amber lights actually functioned as turn signals, then in 2011 they got rid of the amber turn and just made the red flash. Then they went to a 4 pin square that didn't play well with the 14 and newer wiring harnesses. I've probably got 150,000 miles on my RT-622 and it still serves me well I bought it new in 2010 when I had a black RT. I pulled it with a yellow 13 and now with my white 14.

I'm pretty good at backing it up too, it just takes a little practice.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If you own either trailer, just means you are serious about bringing everything including the kitchen sink

Originally Posted by Stevie; My only beef with the 622 is that there are no cargo tiedown points at all.
    Actually there are, extensive choices. I added all of the goodies that are available for the RT622. Mine is a 2010 model that received the free water tray upgrade as well. Started to look for them on BRP's web site, probably no longer offered. Saw on eBay the cargo stabilizers, but wasn't able to lift the photo.

Unfortunately I have no picks of the interior.( will take some in the next couple days cuz I will be pulling trailer out of my packed garage. ) but I utilize the two screen section divides that block off the first ⅓rd of the trailer and also the rear ¼.

I also purchased two velcro dividers from BRP where they keep items from sliding around, You can position them anywhere on the floor. I use mine for the 2 read gas cans on a long trip.

I also have 2 interior side pouches, that have zippers and separate compartments for miscellaneous items. All provided by BRP. I also got the trailer cover. Helps in not having to wash as often.

Also make sure you have a rubber boot to protect the ball hitch

Oh and one more thing, you said you got a 2011 RT622, I remember the dealership telling me to make sure to have the bearings for the wheels greased and packed. I remember Lamont posting how he heard a terrible noice and turned around to see a wheel off the trailer while he was riding. Mine is due again.

BTW this needs to be greased too!

This one is inspector gadgets, forget what it was designed to do, perhaps he will chime in

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    .......................And if this same dealer told you about VOIDING THE WARRANTY ....... This dealer ( stealer actually ) has a serious problem with something called the TRUTH .....they either don't understand it or just don't tell it ........... I wish you the best of luck - with this dealer your going to need all you can get ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......................And if this same dealer told you about VOIDING THE WARRANTY ....Actually that is from Can-am directly... This dealer ( stealer actually ) has a serious problem with something called the TRUTH .....they either don't understand it or just don't tell it ........... I wish you the best of luck - with this dealer your going to need all you can get ..... Mike
    Thank you Mike, I do feel uncomfortable there, I spent a lot of money, cash out the door, I feel that if I have a question it is a bother. I still cant link my Sena SM10, to the Q1 rider helmets and then to my GPS. But I'm working on that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=TicketBait;1245421]If you own either trailer, just means you are serious about bringing everything including the kitchen sink

Been there done that
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 ST Limited SE5 in Vegas White Serial Number 0162
    BRP Backrest, BRP Travel Bags, Larger break pedal
    Baha Ron Sway Bar & Links, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner
    BRP Trailer Hitch, 2011 Rt-622 Trailer (Pearl White)
    Laser Alignment -(wasn't needed???)
    IPS Holder, X-Grip Phone/ Cup Holder

Spyder Garage

Dang, that photo is priceless with the kitchen sink!

Here are some photos I took today of the interior compartments that were available from BRP at the time.

They were expensive I believe, something like $198, so probably not too many were sold.

Not sure if they are now. The dividers have hardware that you can use as tie downs.

I pulled one of the stabilizer blocks and put it on top of the spare tire to show what it looks like.

Also there are two saddle bags that hang on each side as well.

My trailer is extremely messy right now. I just used it to take plastics and bottles to the city recycle center.
    These photos make me want to clean her up

below is the front area, I had the net divider down but just raised it to show in photo.

Hope this helps you Stevie
    Last edited by TicketBait; 04-12-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added photo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Dang, that photo is priceless with the kitchen sink!

Here are some photos I took today of the interior compartments that were available from BRP at the time.

They were expensive I believe, something like $198, so probably not too many were sold.

Not sure if they are now. The dividers have hardware that you can use as tie downs.

I pulled one of the stabilizer blocks and put it on top of the spare tire to show what it looks like.

Also there are two saddle bags that hang on each side as well.

My trailer is extremely messy right now. I just used it to take plastics and bottles to the city recycle center.
    These photos make me want to clean her up

below is the front area, I had the net divider down but just raised it to show in photo.

Hope this helps you Stevie

Curious what the Kryptonite Bicycle lock is for? The trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am curious what the solar panel is for??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I am curious what the solar panel is for??
    If my Boat Yard years are correct it's a solar powered fan so the interior doesn't get too hot.