Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

Freedom Versus the 622 Trailer

I have a 2016 RT- SE6- that was customized to a Super Cruiser. I purchased the Millennium Falcon straight out of the crate with .03 miles on it. I have been blessed every day since for sure. I have my freedom and self-worth back! I plan on taking him on long rides out of state. Since it is difficult and at times nearly impossible for me to drive a car, I had a hand break and other upgrades done to it in order to help me with my chronic arthritic. I will write more on this soon in other forums. He heals me on the road.

I did extensive research comparing the two Can-am trailer options. I ended up going with a used 2011 – 622 Trailer. I went with a used trailer most specifically because it was bigger than the new Freedom and the lights matched my new machine exactly. The new freedom trailer lights have the look of the new 2017- F3. I felt it did not look as nice together with my RT not to mention I saved nearly 4000 bucks going used. This is after I replaced all the water seals, two new tires and a wiring harness update along with adding a tongue stand (219400190). I of course had to purchase the Can-am hitch for RT- (219400432). The F3 requires a different model hitch kit (219400519) than the RT. Both hitch kits work for the Freedom. The kit includes a light control module, a mud flap and a 1-7/8” ball. The labor cost was about 1.5 hrs. at about $150 additional for the install. Note: if you install the hitch you will lose the axel bolt cover. I could not find a 17mm. machined bolt cover that would work so I simply panted the bolts satin black. (See Pictures) Any other non, Can-am hitch will void Can-am’s warrantee hands down or so I was warned. So, I believe it is not worth saving $100.00 using a generic hitch.

Because I purchased the older trailer, a new trailer wiring harness was needed in order for the 2016 and newer model RT’s to communicate with the older trailer. I can get that part number from my dealer if anyone needs it, please ask. The trailer I purchased has a water management system consisting of one tray that collects water from between the two hoods then drains down a ¾ inch tube. It also has a drain tube from the rear latch. I re-keyed the trailer to match my RT thanks to Can-am giving me an extra cylinder when I bought it.

The trailer is extremely stable, so much so I do not notice a difference in power when it is attached. The trailer does not sway, tilt or even flinch in the slightest way even at 80 MPH. it is very hard to revers park it for me, I need more practice. My only beef with the 622 is that there are no cargo tiedown points at all. I used some old produce boxes and it seems to be fine. The weight does not shift costing me any problems whatsoever.
    Some other comparisons between the two trailers.

· Freedom comes in flat black only.
    · The Freedom has a smaller tapered or triangular shaped cargo area
    · The Freedom has a lesser cargo weight compacity
    · The Freedom has smaller shocks for a smaller trailer
    · The Freedom has the matching lights of the 2017- F3
    · There is no tongue stand yet available for the Freedom, that I know of.
    · The Freedom can only be used with 2016 and newer vehicles

In closing I am very happy with my purchase of the 622 over the Freedom Trailer. There is much misinformation about the 622 going around from people that do not seemingly own one. If there is any other questions please ask.
    Thank you for reading.
    Stevie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stevie; 04-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.