Thread: Sirius Radio

Spyder Garage

Default Sirius Radio

Just renewed my sirius radio for 6 months,30.00 + tax and fees,this will get me thru the riding season,You just have to cancel or suspend before the 6 months runs out to avoid getting a regular monthly bill.Got it last year for 25.00.Not sure how long their running the promotion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got an XM Onyx in the trunk of the RT-L, and the Missus has XM in her RAV4... I just pay it for the year, and listen to it at EVERY opportunity!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sirius

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    Just renewed my sirius radio for 6 months,30.00 + tax and fees,this will get me thru the riding season,You just have to cancel or suspend before the 6 months runs out to avoid getting a regular monthly bill.Got it last year for 25.00.Not sure how long their running the promotion.
    Since you mentioned that you have Sirius satellite service, this prompts the question. Do you have the satellite module installed on your Spyder? If so, did your Spyder come with it, or was it added after the purchase? And if that's the case, was the radio a simple intall or plug in, or did it require a unique wiring harness, etc?
    Last edited by WilderThomas; 04-10-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: improper grammar on my part

Spyder Garage

Default Satellite Radio

If I may ask do you have the dongle or just listen through the speakers I haven't known anyone who had the dongle and wonder does it still play through the speakers too
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I've got an XM Onyx in the trunk of the RT-L, and the Missus has XM in her RAV4... I just pay it for the year, and listen to it at EVERY opportunity!
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Default Plays through radio or through aux port

I have a similar setup to Bob. I have my Sirius plugged into the auxiliary port in my trunk and play it through my sena Bluetooth with the dongle. I have tried it through the bike speakers, and it works just fine.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just BLAST it through the speakers!
    And I hate to say this: no dongle...

Spyder Garage

I've had Sirius on my car and the Spyder. Since I like to ride back roads on the bike Sirius tends to go in and out with reception in CT and MA (too many mountains and heavy forests). I stopped it on my Spyder because of that.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Could not do without my Sirius radio. How else would I listen to Fox News and stay awake! I do have seven different radios and it gets a little expensive with all the discounted subscriptions. I do a lot of Mountain riding and always have good reception. Never had a problem unlike FM/AM always losing reception.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack,
    Do you prefer FOX News, or FOX Headlines?
    (I prefer their News station...)

But most of the time: I've got Ozzy's Boneyard at full-volume!

Spyder Garage

Seven XM radios ?!?!?!? AAACCKKK!

I'm way, way too cheap for that. I have 1, an Onyx. And I have docks in my car, the wife's car, the Spyder, my Victory, and a home kit in the garage. It's just habit, when I pick up the keys to whatever I'm going to ride / drive, I pick up the radio receiver also. On the Spyder mine is mounted on a dash mount, and wired to the trunk input plug.

And like you guys, there is no way I'm giving it up. Listening to broadcast (commercials!) radio for more than a few minutes makes me want to stick a screwdriver in my ear.

Jim

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

Is the Dongle accessory generally almost mandatory these days?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Satellite Radio

Thank you. I obtained a "free" radio from Sirius when my wife reactivated her radio. And it's currently hardwired in the Olds. Had the subscription canceled as we use her Prius, more. I suppose Sirius provides the Onyx when they send out their free radios. How do you have it powered, the antenna set up, and the music provided through the bike's speakers or your earpiece? Was this your installation or a dealer's or stereo shop's?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Thank you. I obtained a "free" radio from Sirius when my wife reactivated her radio. And it's currently hardwired in the Olds. Had the subscription canceled as we use her Prius, more. I suppose Sirius provides the Onyx when they send out their free radios. How do you have it powered, the antenna set up, and the music provided through the bike's speakers or your earpiece? Was this your installation or a dealer's or stereo shop's?
    It was easy-peasey!
    I have the Onyx in the top trunk in a pouch that I hung from the MP-3 player mounting bracket that I had...
    I've got it plugged into the power port in the trunk, and the fuse in the right-hand fusebox has been set in position #6. (It's now only powered when the ignition is on...)
    I use the Mp-3 player patch cord to plug it into the sound system's plug in the trunk, and the antenna is simply mounted underneath the lid, up at the top of the trunk...
    (I'll try and get you a picture of it...)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just did my 6 month thing today for $30 and i told them i don't want auto renewal

Spyder Garage

Since you mentioned that you have Sirius satellite service, this prompts the question. Do you have the satellite module installed on your Spyder? If so, did your Spyder come with it, or was it added after the purchase? And if that's the case, was the radio a simple intall or plug in, or did it require a unique wiring harness, etc?

Dealer installed module as part of the deal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pictures of my ONYX:

XM Onyx 002.jpgXM Onyx 001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    That is a nice setup,if I didn't have the module I would of went that way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not perfect... but for the cost: it does pretty darn well!
    (I can't change stations on the fly, and I get no information about the artist or song on the screen...)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have XM radio in my shop truck and 2 cars and 1 motorcycle and love it
    but I do wish it would cost a little less we pay for it all by the year.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

It's not perfect... but for the cost: it does pretty darn well!
    (I can't change stations on the fly, and I get no information about the artist or song on the screen...)
    Well Bob, just do what I did and move the connection from the rear trunk to the Glovebox ( no wiring changes needed ) and you can plug the Sirius unit in there ......easy peasey .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

IF You are paying more than $5 a Month for your Car You need to tell them You will QUIT UNLESS you get it for $5 a Month- Not a PENNY MORE!!!
    I renew every 6 or 5 months for this amount and BE SURE to call a few days before the renewal date Because it will automatically go to $12 or $15 a Month IF YOU DO NOT.
    I tell them I'm retired and ONLY in my car 10-15 minutes a day and I WILL NOT pay more than $5 a month including fees?
    They will try to offer you $9 a Month- Then $7 a month- BUT KEEP Firm and they will give it to you for $5 a Month including Fees.
    My Last Deal (Last Week) Was $30.60 Total for 6 Months!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can appreciate your sentiment...
    But they ARE in business to make money.
    If I couldn't afford it: I wouldn't have it.
    I assume that when you don't take this approach to every facet of your life...
    Do you argue with the folks at DMV over the cost of registrations?
    Or the grocers over the cost of steak?

Spyder Garage

I bought the whole dongle setup from Can Am through a dealer. Very expensive to buy and to have it installed. I had the dongle mounted in the glove box so it's easy to turn on and off. I have Sena 10H communicators and I get my phone, gps, regular radio, XM radio all through my helmet. I read below about doing the 6 month thing. Never thought of that and will have to switch. I hate paying for a full year and in Omaha, only being able to ride 6 or 7 months.