Spyder Garage

Smile 2015 F3S Check Engine Fault

I had gone on a great 150 mile ride in and around the Cherokee National Forest. I made a quick stop at the grocery about 2 miles from home and when I pulled into a parking space I found that I was unable to engage the parking brake. Since I was parked on a slight incline I decided to shift into reverse and move to some flat ground to investigate. Now I could not shift out of 1st gear and "Check Engine" is travelling across my display.

At this point here are the symptoms:
    "Check Engine" travelling across the display
    Can't engage parking brake
    Can't shift out of 1st gear
    Engine is running and throttle will not respond.

I could not get off the Spyder because it would roll away!!
    I recalled reading on this Forum that turning the engine off and removing the key would sometimes reset the systems.
    I did turn off the engine remove the key and waited about 2 minutes. I restarted the Spyder and everything was now working.
    I took the Spyder to my dealer,Whites Cycle and Marine in Chattanooga on Saturday. They were very concerned and helpful. As I watched, they scanned the system for fault codes, there were none. They then monitored the machine as it idled for about 5 minutes. Still no indication of a problem.
    They then made sure that the software was up to date and that there were no updates needed.
    The final analysis was that yes, there is a gremlin in the system, and they have seen this exact set of symptoms before. Can Am is aware of the problem, but there is no solution as yet. The advice I got was ride it enjoy it.
    I have ridden about 100 miles since and it runs perfectly. By the way I have 6500 miles on this Spyder and this is the first problem I have encountered.
    Ride safe and enjoy the day.

Spyder Garage

Default HMMMMMMMM................

this is a new 1 to me....
    i have 36,000 miles of smiles on my '15 F3, and never witnessed this... i'll keep your info in the back of my head however.... THX
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Glitches....

I call them glitches. It would seem to be a false reading of some sensor that will irritate the nanny and put you into a limp mode (hense no throttle) and other issues. When you let the computers reset (shutting down removing the key and waiting) the system checks all readings and find no problem and you can move on. I have had several such glitches and nothing ever comes of it....relax and ryde on
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps if the oil engine was a bit low, and you were on an incline...
    Could that have triggered something?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default most likely a 1-time glitch

I had something similar happen with my RT (years ago so I don't remember exact details) and I had the same solution -- take the key out and try again a few minutes later. Since my dealer is too far away for me to want to go there regularly, I didn't go to the dealer to have it checked out, as it turned out the problem never happened again either.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White