Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warranty BS

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty BS

A friend of mine has gone to arizona for 4 or 5 week vacation. He took his 2017 RT Limited along to drive while he is there. So today he sends a picture of his Spyder being loaded on a tow truck. He tells me it would not start towed to dealer who diagnosed a bad starter that needs to be replaced. Here's the kicker. Not covered under warranty because the Spyder was bought in Canada. Where else would he buy it. He lives in Canada. Advised by the dealer he would have to pay for the repair or take it back to Canada for repair. I know that's incorrect and told him so. Called BRP myself. Got a gentleman on the line who went to look it up because he did not know for sure. After a short while he told me it was covered. Not sure why the dealer says it's not covered. Advised that the dealer should call the dealer line. So my friend called BRP directly himself. Got someone else who says it's not covered. That's BS. I have read the warranty and it is covered.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Really Spyder is manufactured in Canada so now because he took it to the USA it's not covered something stinks here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is gonna start making our friends to the North think that we're building The Wall on the wrong border...

...Total B.S.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-08-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Should we, who bought in the US, be concerned about 10th Anniversary in Canada?????

I hope someone in BRP is not addressing this properly.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Can he pay for it and submit for reimbursement in Canada?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't know warranties had borders.

Spyder Garage

Interesting, one person from BRP says covered, another says not. Time to take names and get the problem solved. Warranty is warranty. Dealers are dealers. The authorized CanAm dealer should be making the fix under warranty if that is what is called for.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Question Back of the OM

It used to be spelled out in the back of the OM. Have they discontinued that?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Which dealer in AZ?

What dealer did he go to in what town? Being in AZ I want to know, and others may want to know as well.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

my understanding was if you crossed the border from the US to Canada, your warranty will not cover it. I could be wrong but I believe I remember reading about that here some time ago.

again my memory ain't what it used to be and I could be wrong.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Interesting, one person from BRP says covered, another says not. Time to take names and get the problem solved. Warranty is warranty. Dealers are dealers. The authorized CanAm dealer should be making the fix under warranty if that is what is called for.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

This is from the 2017 RT Limited Operator's Guide
    "1. SCOPE OF THE LIMITED WARRANTYBombardier Recreational Products Inc. (“BRP”)* warrants its 2017 Can-AmSpyder Roadsters ("Roadster") sold by authorized Can-Am Roadster Dealers (asdefined below) in the United States of America and in Canada from defects inmaterial or workmanship for the period and under the conditions described below."

There is no place anywhere else in the US/Canada warranty that says a roadster purchased in either country will not be covered by the provosions of the warranty in the other country.

I guess if a roadster owner is forced to call BRP on a warranty issue the owner should be prepared to ask for the full name of the BRP representative to whom he/she is speaking as well as the name of that representative's first born so that the latter can be sacrificed in the event the BRP representative is subsequently found to be incorrect in any information provided.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Out of curiosity anyone have a NEW OM to source?

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    my understanding was if you crossed the border from the US to Canada, your warranty will not cover it. I could be wrong but I believe I remember reading about that here some time ago.

again my memory ain't what it used to be and I could be wrong.
    If you cross either way is how I remember it too, but, that's from my 2011 manual.

EDIT: Since my Spyder is in the shop with the OM, it took me a while to see how far off I was. And it appears I was(i'll call it age related if you don't mind). The only thing I found in my now old OM(copy) is: a Spyder must be purchased in the country - USA/Canada - that the purchaser resides in. I found no mention relating to repair exclusions.

Again, my OM is dated.........as in 2011.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

If this stupidity turns out to be true, it is an outrage. However, I'm sure it is not true. People cross the US/Canada border every day on their Spyders.

BRP dealers and BRP need to get their darn act together. GRRR.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Didn't know warranties had borders.
    They do. A lot depends on the laws of the country where the product is being sold. In a case like this it depends on the warranty terms where the product was sold, but since the Spyder is sold in the same configuration in both the US and Canada I don't see how or why BRP wouldn't honor a warranty claim.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

BRP product, BRP dealership w/BRP trained technicians and BRP parts. Not sure why a line on a map would void an agreement between buyer and manufacturer when the whole thing is under the umbrella of 1 company. Especially when the product is specifically designed to CROSS that line on the map!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    If this stupidity turns out to be true, it is an outrage. However, I'm sure it is not true. People cross the US/Canada border every day on their Spyders.

BRP dealers and BRP need to get their darn act together. GRRR.
    see my edit #13

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    This is from the 2017 RT Limited Operator's Guide
    "1. SCOPE OF THE LIMITED WARRANTYBombardier Recreational Products Inc. (“BRP”)* warrants its 2017 Can-AmSpyder Roadsters ("Roadster") sold by authorized Can-Am Roadster Dealers (asdefined below) in the United States of America and in Canada from defects inmaterial or workmanship for the period and under the conditions described below."

There is no place anywhere else in the US/Canada warranty that says a roadster purchased in either country will not be covered by the provosions of the warranty in the other country.

I guess if a roadster owner is forced to call BRP on a warranty issue the owner should be prepared to ask for the full name of the BRP representative to whom he/she is speaking as well as the name of that representative's first born so that the latter can be sacrificed in the event the BRP representative is subsequently found to be incorrect in any information provided.
    The 2014 warranty page is the same looks like. The heading clearly states BRP Limited Warranty - USA and Canada. The only restrictions are as has been said the buyer must be a resident of the country where he is buying it and the dealer must be an authorized dealer in that country. The only other limitation is that Spyders sold in the US have a 5 year warranty on the emissions system. Canada does not.

Otherwise everything is discussed without regard to country of purchase or use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Steve from BRP Cares?

Maybe Steve from BRP cares can answer this warranty issue. I will be going around lake superior this summer. Would like to know that my Spyder would be fixed if a warranty problem should arise.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty

I spend equal amounts of time in both Counties. Wife is Canadian I am American. We purchased Spyder in Canada as
    this is our permanent residence. My dealer assured me any warranty work could be done in either country. This is another
    stupid dealer who just wants to steal money from a customer. The dealer should be named so people will know who to stay away from. Bob My thoughts only and some times I am wrong.
    900 Ryker Wifes

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Something is fishy.... agree some names and numbers should be taken....and followed up on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I work at a Chrysler car dealer in the US. We cannot do warranty repairs on a Canadian vehicle unless the owner is from Canada and is in transit, for example, vacation. We have to have a copy of his Canadian drivers license and registration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    Should we, who bought in the US, be concerned about 10th Anniversary in Canada?????

I hope someone in BRP is not addressing this properly.
    I believe that someone at BRP is not applying the warranty correctly in this case.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Can he pay for it and submit for reimbursement in Canada?
    I don't know. Maybe an option.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    What dealer did he go to in what town? Being in AZ I want to know, and others may want to know as well.

Rob
    He is in Surprise AZ. That's near Phoenix I think. The dealership is Ridenow Powersports. Multiple locations, don't know which one.

2018 F3 LIMITED