Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing & strange idle?

My Spyder now has about 12,600 miles after 16 months. This machine has been very reliable and comfortable for all types of riding including several 2000+ mile trips.

Last summer I had a few instances where I would sense a miss, generally when riding at low speeds, after a long higher speed ride. I dismissed it as bad gas, and once added some Sea Foam and I think it helped. At about 8000 miles I decided to replace the plugs and noticed an improvement. The engine ALWAYS starts instantly so I've held off checking the valve clearances, although I will probably do that soon.

Yesterday I took at 550 mile ride, mostly on interstates, running at 60-75 mph. When I exited the highway approaching my home, in the last few stop-and-go miles, the bike missed or hicupped several times, and also had a strangely high idle (2000 RPM) which eventually went back down to normal 1400 RPM.

Does this sound like some bad gas, needs new plugs again, or perhaps an ECM starting to go bad? Any ideas. I hate to end a long ride this way, put the bike away, and have this poor running on my mind.

Thanks, Stuart Ostroff

Spyder Garage

Default Idle Problems

Stuart, great to see you posting again! I was just thinking about you on our ride to Niagara Falls and wondering how you are doing. In terms of your Spyder issue, there are a lot of possible scenarios. If I were you, the first thing I would do is go to my dealer and have it hooked up to the BUDS to see if there are any fault codes showing. I think you may be onto something with your suspicion about an ECM going bad.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Check for cracked hoses that may cause a vacuum leak. I would pull the battery cable while you were doing that and reset the computer.

Spyder Garage

I may have an answer for you soon, as my dealer is also addressing a similar idle issue. Dealer says the parts are on order, but not which parts, for which problem. I'm up to my ears in alligators, so I have no chance to find out quickly. One possibility previously reported here is a bad GPS. That affects the CANBUS adversely, and messes up lots of things, including idle and other ECM functions. Check AtaDude's old postings. I agree with Bruce, get it to the dealer to check the BUDS, but it sure won't hurt to follow Lamonster's advice first.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... Check AtaDude's old postings....
    This thread... read all of it...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7831

Note that my idle, since new, was +/- 100 rpm.... BUDDS revealed no problems. After the new GPS sensor, it is 1350-1400... 1375 +/- 25 rpm... and it's probably better than that except that the stock digital tach only reads in 50 rpm increments.

2008 Spyders made before about September of 2008 probably do not have the updated GPS sensor.

Last edited by ataDude; 04-20-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I filled mine up last weekend with med grade gas and noticed a few hiccups - thought it was odd. it did it for 3 min or so. nothing serious, just odd. I only have 300 mi on it so far, so still pretty new, but I thought it was strange. I'll prob stick to the cheap stuff from now on.