Thread: Cannonball seat

Spyder Garage

Default Cannonball seat

Does anyone have this seat? If so, how is it and does it use a different material than the stock seat. I'm getting damp pants where my legs contact the seat when I ride for more than an 1/2 hour. Apparently the material on the stock seat doesn't breathe very well. I did not have this problem with the comfort seat on my RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    Does anyone have this seat? If so, how is it and does it use a different material than the stock seat. I'm getting damp pants where my legs contact the seat when I ride for more than an 1/2 hour. Apparently the material on the stock seat doesn't breathe very well. I did not have this problem with the comfort seat on my RT.
    I used the Cannonball seat for around a thousand km, NewHornist, in 100 degree temps and at 95% humidity, and didn't have any problem with seat sweating. I DID have a a comfort problem however (I switched to a DayLong). Unfortunately, I never rode with the stock seat so I can't comment on them, but I have never heard of this issue with the stock seat before. This is not really much help to you, I know, but at least it's a comment on the Cannonball.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I used the Cannonball seat for around a thousand km, NewHornist, in 100 degree temps and at 95% humidity, and didn't have any problem with seat sweating. I DID have a a comfort problem however (I switched to a DayLong). Unfortunately, I never rode with the stock seat so I can't comment on them, but I have never heard of this issue with the stock seat before. This is not really much help to you, I know, but at least it's a comment on the Cannonball.

Pete
    Pete - Thanks for the input! It's only been 56 - 60 degrees out so I just can't imagine how bad this could get when the weather gets really hot. I just got a new pair of riding jeans so I will try them tomorrow and see if it happens with them also.

If you don't mind saying, what was your comfort problem? It's so expensive to make seat changes I like to get as much info as possible.

Tina

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    Pete - Thanks for the input! It's only been 56 - 60 degrees out so I just can't imagine how bad this could get when the weather gets really hot. I just got a new pair of riding jeans so I will try them tomorrow and see if it happens with them also.

If you don't mind saying, what was your comfort problem? It's so expensive to make seat changes I like to get as much info as possible.

Tina
    Sore tailbone after around 30 minutes, Tina, even on the Cannonball. The stock seat felt uncomfortable after 20 minutes on the demo ride......but then, I'm 6'7" and 300lb so I expect that on just about ANY motorcycle seat. I had no choice other than to spend the $1500 on a DayLong and get it made to suit my particular requirements. I always factor that in to any new ride I get.

Ask around, you might find someone over there who will let you borrow a spare Cannonball riders seat for a little while. They are a very helpful bunch on here and I know a few have moved from the Cannonball to aftermarket. I would send mine over for you but the shipping cost would be more than buying a second hand one

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryde in 100+

With the stock seat and just normal perspiration. 50 and 60s, nothing at all! Are you nervous when you ryde?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    With the stock seat and just normal perspiration. 50 and 60s, nothing at all! Are you nervous when you ryde?
    Not nervous at all. And generally I don't sweat much. This is a new problem for me. Never had any issues on my 2014 RT-S and I rode in some blistering heat. Plus I have a lot more wind on me on the F3 than I did on the RT.

Spyder Garage

I really don't know what would be causing this, Tina. As I said, I have never heard of it before, and the lack of responses on the forum would tend to indicate that others haven't either. I imagine it would not be very pleasant. What about trying an off the shelf sheepskin cover that just buckles under the seat.....much cheaper than buying a new/second hand seat.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An idea ... Go to your dealer and pop another stock seat on, maybe off their demo, and go for a ride in your normal gear. At least you'll know whether it's the seat or something else. I haven't heard of this issue, so might be worth ensuring that it IS the seat and not anything else...

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I really don't know what would be causing this, Tina. As I said, I have never heard of it before, and the lack of responses on the forum would tend to indicate that others haven't either. I imagine it would not be very pleasant. What about trying an off the shelf sheepskin cover that just buckles under the seat.....much cheaper than buying a new/second hand seat.

Pete
    Pete may be on the right track with this issue. The sheepskins from Misty Mountain Sheepskin Co. in Missouri will help you immensely. I don't know what he charges for the F3 but a full custom cut and fitted RTL cover was only $132 after shipping, 1/10 the price of a custom seat. There are a lot of reasons and results for the natural sheepskin, but they are cool in summer, warm in winter, keep moisture wicking away from you and fit well, he guarantees you will like it or full refund.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate