Spyder Garage

Default Brake pedal height - again

So, this is too obvious but, let me ask anyway...

I've got to get the brake pedal lowered, it's not particularly safe where it is. What if I just purchased and replaced my brake rod (now the longest, #5?) with a #4 rod? As I feel the holes in the strut holding the brake pedal, it seems about an inch back.

What do you think? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    So, this is too obvious but, let me ask anyway...

I've got to get the brake pedal lowered, it's not particularly safe where it is. What if I just purchased and replaced my brake rod (now the longest, #5?) with a #4 rod? As I feel the holes in the strut holding the brake pedal, it seems about an inch back.

What do you think? Thanks!
    Hi Neal. I asked the same question some 8 months ago as I had the same issue. It doesn't work. Pulling the bottom of the brake lever a full inch back puts the pedal too low to work effectively. I solved it through the purchase of Lamont's RIP boards that change your foot angle, but that is an expensive option if you are only buying them for brake pedal adjustment. Have a bit of a search on the Forum. There have been a number of options people have used, bug they involve cutting or drilling or welding, which I was loath to do.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find the thread on drilling a tiny hole 1/2" about from existing hole. Lowers the pedal a bit and does not interfere with braking.

Our dealer does this for customers so have no qualms. Works for me.

But please find the thread - for detail of exactly where to drill a hole in one end of the rod.

Spyder Garage

Before doing anything else to lower the brake pedal, take the pedal assembly off the frame rail & have a good look at how the range of motion it has is controlled - cos THAT's what will be the limiting factor in anything you do!!

Shortening the rod is basically just pulling the pedal down lower in its arc of movement, doing that too much simply brings the pedal closer to bottoming out & might mean that you can't ever apply the brakes fully, so you need to look for a way of changing the pedal height/position while still keeping enough of that arc of travel available to avoid fouling/restricting it too much. As Peteoz & loisk have mentioned, if you search the Forum there are a few ways that this has been done successfully, but there are also some ways where the rod has been shortened without taking into account that by doing so can prohibit full brake application - you need to be a little careful about which method you choose to do this, but it can be done!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Find the thread on drilling a tiny hole 1/2" about from existing hole. Lowers the pedal a bit and does not interfere with braking.

Our dealer does this for customers so have no qualms. Works for me.

But please find the thread - for detail of exactly where to drill a hole in one end of the rod.
    I did this. I drilled a hole at the front of the brake rod just rearward of the hole that is already there. It is approximately 1/2 inch back which puts it at the perfect height to pivot your foot from the floorboard to the brake pedal without lifting your leg. 2016 F3 Limited.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys!
    I'll search for that thread and take the assembly apart to understand the geometry a bit. Drilling one hole seems easier than cutting out one-half inch and welding it together!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since you're tinkering with a part of the bike that could kill you if you make a mistake: please be careful!!

You might actually find that you're able to adapt to the height of the brake pedal as it currently sits: most of the rest of us in here have...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I bought this and it has helped lots

BPE1 Can-Am Spyder Brake Pedal Extension F3 F3-S GS RS RT Roadster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BPE1-Can-Am-...WmoRaA&vxp=mtr

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by siny10309 View Post
    I bought this and it has helped lots

BPE1 Can-Am Spyder Brake Pedal Extension F3 F3-S GS RS RT Roadster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BPE1-Can-Am-...WmoRaA&vxp=mtr
    Can't tell what it does. Most people need the pedal to be a little lower.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Here are some pictures of the front of the brake rod from the inside. The hole in front is the stock hole.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a few ways to lower the brake height. I drilled a hole 1/2" behind the hole located on the front of the rod. You can also cut the rod 1/2" and weld a cover rod over it. You can also remove the safety notch located on the inside of the floorboard/peg mounting clamp and slide the clamp forward 1/2" then add another safety notch located to the nearest safety hole located on the inside of mounting pipe. I chose to drill a hole and its worked wonderfully well.

WARNING....be careful and know that you can experience CATATROPHIC brake failure if you screw up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Can't tell what it does. Most people need the pedal to be a little lower.
    it slightly lowers the original pedal since you remove the original rubber and replace it with a thinner piece of metal and it also has a "second pedal" that curves up and to the right. this pedal is mostly what I use now as it is in a much more comfortable position with my foot pivoting on the pegs (F3 with no boards). heres some pics I dug up on an RT

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=siny10309;1243767]it slightly lowers the original pedal since you remove the original rubber and replace it with a thinner piece of metal and it also has a "second pedal" that curves up and to the right. this pedal is mostly what I use now as it is in a much more comfortable position with my foot pivoting on the pegs (F3 with no boards). heres some pics I dug up on an RT

[/QUOTE

Thanks, it's hard to tell just seeing the part.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Highwayman2013, thanks for the photos. I just walked upstairs haven taken photos to seek clarity from you and there they were!

I am thinking that the hole is back 1/2 inch center-to-center? And the group seems to think that's the max to make an adjustment; so, unless I hear otherwise I'm doing that and adding a full-size brake pedal.

BTW, I did order and have installed that ebay item referenced above. I'm afraid it doesn't solve the problem and I don't care for it...want one cheap??

Thanks to all!