Thread: De - Chrome It

Spyder Garage

Default De - Chrome It

Started to black out some of the fake plasti-chrome bits on the RT-L. Never was real keen on chrome and so far I'm liking the way it's turning out.
    I didn't want to duplicate the metallic black of the bike and wanted a black color to stand apart, so I chose Dupli-Color Honda Black Metallic.
    The fake chrome fronts on the windshield are next.

A few pics, with and without flash.

DSCF7184.jpgDSCF7185.jpgDSCF7192.jpgDSCF7202.jpgDSCF7203.jpg

Spyder Garage

Looks great ! Let us know how it holds up .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I see that you seem to have LEDs around your mirrors. When these flash with your blinkers lights are they bother your eyes?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm like an old crow: shiny stuff gets picked up!
    but if no chrome gets it done for you: .
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I "blacked out" the Can Am logos or whatever you call them on the two lower side panels as did you. I really like the way they look. I think the windshield parts are next, and I'm thinking of doing my mirrors in Pearl White like I did the 2013 RT "scoops", but I like the way your mirrors turned out. I might have to think about black for them, too.

20160927_140527 (1).jpg
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

HayRog (& anyone else who's done/doing this) how did you prepare & paint all the chrome bits??

I've been wondering about doing the same sort of thing to my RT Ltd, but would like to lose ALL the chrome if I'm going to go down that path - & I really don't like the idea of using one of the placcy coating options.

Any tips or hints will be considered gratefully!

Ps: I really like the pics you've shown us HayRog, got any 'whole Spyder' pics to show how the de-chromed look works?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I "blacked out" the Can Am logos or whatever you call them on the two lower side panels as did you. I really like the way they look. I think the windshield parts are next, and I'm thinking of doing my mirrors in Pearl White like I did the 2013 RT "scoops", but I like the way your mirrors turned out. I might have to think about black for them, too.

20160927_140527 (1).jpg

Looks a lot more striking than chrome against white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I see that you seem to have LEDs around your mirrors. When these flash with your blinkers lights are they bother your eyes?
    Don't bother my eyes at all. It used to bother my eyes trying to see the faded green indication in the dash !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    HayRog (& anyone else who's done/doing this) how did you prepare & paint all the chrome bits??

I've been wondering about doing the same sort of thing to my RT Ltd, but would like to lose ALL the chrome if I'm going to go down that path - & I really don't like the idea of using one of the placcy coating options.

Any tips or hints will be considered gratefully!

Ps: I really like the pics you've shown us HayRog, got any 'whole Spyder' pics to show how the de-chromed look works?
    Clean the parts with alcohol swabs then rub them down thoroughly with 600 grit abrasive paper.
    I followed the spray can directions and coated with 3 light coats of paint, followed by 1 heavier coat, 15 minutes between coats.
    After 30 minutes I applied 3 coats of protective clear coat finish, 15 minutes between coats.
    After 48 hours I finished with Turtle Wax "ICE" synthetic liquid polish.

I'll post on it's durability in a year or so -- sooner if it doesn't hold up.

Thank ya'll

Spyder Garage

I did the same to my f3 limited and love the look without all that chrome.

Spyder Garage

Oooohhh !! ^^^^^^ Nice .. I've always loved the red/black combination.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Really love it also. Got a few more things to add to her yet

Spyder Garage

Dang it, I'm going on 60 years old and you've got my mind just whirling with how I could modestly customize my Stock '13 RTL after the Excellent work you've already done.... never gonna sleep now......
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Dang it, I'm going on 60 years old and you've got my mind just whirling with how I could modestly customize my Stock '13 RTL after the Excellent work you've already done.... never gonna sleep now......
    Yer just a kid yet -- go for it !

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, paint does not do well over chrome. Most times it will peel off easily with your finger nail.

When I did my bike I put the chrome pieces in a solution that was 1 part muriatic acid and 2 parts hydrogen peroxide. It strips the chrome down to the plastic without harming the plastic. It doesn't take long as well, about 2 hours.

Spyder Garage

Good to know, thanks. If mine don't hold up I know what to do.

Spyder Garage

I ordered all my parts directly from can-am. Basically they are the same parts as the f3 special series in back.. you guys can so the same with the 1st special series if u wanted the ball parts and are afraid of the paint coming off. Yes more expensive but atleast u know they'll last for ever.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Looking at the 2017 accessories catalog, the only black "bling" they have for the RT series are the Carbon Black front wheels.

Oh well --

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Looking at the 2017 accessories catalog, the only black "bling" they have for the RT series are the Carbon Black front wheels.

Oh well --
    Go to epc.brp.com
    and under the drop down menu choose roadsters and then your year and then choose the appropriate part and you'll see the diagram and parts number below. Once u find lets say the side panel with the can-am logo you'll be able to find the black part number that u want.. hope this helps

[emoji1] [emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post

Oh well --
    Example for the rt mirror cover. U can have different color as u want. Go to body and accessories and it's number 73 in the part and description menu below. Their you'll see all the different colors u can order.. [emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MODESTLY .......BUT WITH PANACHE'

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    , Consider painting the DASH surround ( like I did to Deanna777 's Cognac ) .......... no matter what color Spyder you have, you can find a spray can of something extremely close at most auto parts stores today ( I found the Cognac )................ because the surround doesn't actually touch the Body color of the Spyder it doesn't have to a be Perfect Match to pull it off .................. good luck ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Like what you have done. the various choices we have at our disposal are limitless. Makes each spyder at a gathering fun to walk around and look over what others choices are.

Question, have you thought about painting the bracket showing in your avatar under your windshield as well? The silver to me shows up as a distraction. Others like how the accent is.

I too have a timeless black RT.

I have had various parts painted timeless black or chromed.

Back in 2010 there were no floorboards, I went through 3 different ones before settling on DiamondR floorboards.

Funny thing I was looking for a photo, and have no recent ones uploaded. This one was from 2 years ago when it was being towed to the shop.

Have fun making your bike unique for you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Like what you have done. .

Question, have you thought about painting the bracket showing in your avatar under your windshield as well? The silver to me shows up as a distraction. Others like how the accent is.

Have fun making your bike unique for you!

Not exactly that area yet -- yet ! I did do the chrome windshield strips today though.
    Last edited by HayRog; 04-09-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage