Spyder Garage

Default What is it worth?

I understand the market for used Spyders is a tough one. I've had mine for sale for a couple of months and have had some interest but no sell. I'm aware my price may be a bit on the high side so I'm considering lowering the price once again. I also am working on trading it in on a couple of bikes a local dealer has. I don't have to sell and I have no trouble keeping it. So, here's my ad. If it were your bike and you were selling it, what would you price it at?

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/6066310618.html

Thanks

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that you are offering a fair price with good valu. I do not see it as a bargain, but the way that you explain your situation, you don't want to dump it anyway.
    One of the facts that I have learned is that motorcycles and cars over $9,000 do not sell well.

Maybe you should try posting it in eBay motors or cycletrader type sites.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe -- I agree - it is fair but no huge bargain. At this price I'd throw in the 6X10 trailer that's set up to haul it - so that sweetens the deal. Interested in other people's thoughts....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The "package" deal would be a turn off to me. I find people (myself included) that are shopping used are doing so because they want a lower price. Once you have a package deal that lower price is almost always higher than just buying the bike itself which is what people really want.

I found this bike on Cycle trasder in less than 5 minutes. I can buy pretty much the same bike (as yours) new for $16K and maybe cheaper elsewhere with the $5K rebates BRP is offering on 2015 holdovers. Not trying to knock your price.....just saying this is the kind of competition you are up against.

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/...6%29-120865563

Spyder Garage

Yeah Rod - I get it. I know what I'm up against and that I need to find a person who wants the whole package - extended warranty - and accessories - plus trailer. Also - when I know what I put into my bike a year ago - I could have bought a F3T today. My buddy had the same F3S as mine with same miles - no warranty - took almost all the accessories off - and traded it for a new Yamaha FJR1300 and had to come up with a little bit of cash. My best bet might be to trade it. I'd probably let it go today for $15000 cash - no trailer....

Spyder Garage

Default What is it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    I understand the market for used Spyders is a tough one. I've had mine for sale for a couple of months and have had some interest but no sell. I'm aware my price may be a bit on the high side so I'm considering lowering the price once again. I also am working on trading it in on a couple of bikes a local dealer has. I don't have to sell and I have no trouble keeping it. So, here's my ad. If it were your bike and you were selling it, what would you price it at?

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/6066310618.html

Thanks
    Part of the problem is there are still brand new 2015's out there that dealers are making deals on. You can get a brand new 2015 F3 for under $15,000. Also have to realize that add-ons and extras don't increase the sale price... they might make the sale easier, but don't add to the sale price.
    Nice looking Spyder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I'd say bring it back up to stock and you can probably expect to get in the 12k range (SM6 is a much harder sell) then part out the accessories on here. They will sell QUICK! heck, I'd buy a few

2015 F3 SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would take off the bit about the warranty. Your implying that Spyders brake down a lot and your going to need it. I would just say "full transferable warranty until 2021"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO your ad is too long, drop the story. Stick to bullet point specific details. An ad that says "thinking about selling" "don't have to sell" are wishy washy. Return it back to as close to stock as your comfortable doing and sell the extras separate, adjust the price accordingly to appeal to more buyers. People have their own vision on what they want to do. Most don't want someone else's customizations.
    Don't get frustrated. It's still slow for sales. Tax returns and nice weather are your friends. Get some nice scenic outdoor pics. 👍
    Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    IMHO your ad is too long, drop the story. Stick to bullet point specific details. An ad that says "thinking about selling" "don't have to sell" are wishy washy. Return it back to as close to stock as your comfortable doing and sell the extras separate, adjust the price accordingly to appeal to more buyers. People have their own vision on what they want to do. Most don't want someone else's customizations.
    Don't get frustrated. It's still slow for sales. Tax returns and nice weather are your friends. Get some nice scenic outdoor pics. 👍
    Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Agree, the add is too long, wishy washy and turned me off immediately.

Also, the details about why and needing the extended warranty openly state the bike is not reliable.

Agree, short and sweet, hit the key positive points, and convey you want it sold. Anything more and they go to the next one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my purchase decision with any motorcycle I just assume it will lose 50-75% of its value within seconds of its purchase. This has proven to be true 100% for every bike I have sold over the last few decades. If I was shopping for a used bike I would demand (DEMAND!) a bargain. I'm on the losing end of the stick with a used machine with no or expiring warranty. I have no idea what the original owner did to this bike or why they are selling it so a bargain is in order. In short.....suck it up buttercup and know you will lose your money. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestions. I took your advise and shortened the ad. Leaving the price where it is and plan to drop it another $1000 this weekend. We will see what happens. I like the Spyder so it may continue to be my ride.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I took your advise and shortened the ad. Leaving the price where it is and plan to drop it another $1000 this weekend. We will see what happens. I like the Spyder so it may continue to be my ride.
    Probably still high. People don't care what add-ons cost you. Low NADA is less than 12k. Did you see the other thread asking about pricing & selling?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Timing....⏰

Seeing as you have no rush or need you should shorten your add as recommended and wait it out. Your in the ball park. Check others out there to get a better picture of what similar units are going for. Good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Craig's List is for bargain hunters. Use Cycle Trader
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Your doing right by trimming off some of the fluff in the ad. Keep it simple. As mentioned by others, accessories add to the package but they are worth little to nothing. People want them, but don't want to pay extra for them. I got nothing except for my personal pleasure for about $6K worth on my 08 and 09 versions.

Manual transmission seems to be a bit of a negative these days also.

I am beginning to see a pattern that slightly lower than a fair trade in price may be the magic price point for a private sale. If it gets to the dealer as a trade--there is a built in $4K cushion that they play the price games with. They get away with it because of the "I bought it from a dealer--therefore its good" syndrome.

Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You're asking price is retail and Craigslist is where people turn to for deals. The ones I've seen used locally above $13k stay listed until the ad expires and then gets relisted. Unfortunately is a niche bike for a specific rider so if you're willing to stay put ride the price out until summer?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

As mentioned above I would list on ebay motors as a classified ad (not an auction) and put 'best offer' on. You will be amazed with the variation of offers you will get but it will give you an idea what the market is willing to pay.

The old adage 'it's only worth what someone will pay for it' is the hard truth.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I would have to agree on this that your advertisement is too long, and there are too many pictures. I am not sure why you are selling it, when you added so many accessories to your Can-am Spyder.

In the Kelly Blue Book, the retail value for your bike is $15,025. I would suggest selling it at $16,000. I know it is hard bargain, but with all those accessories that you have. I would say it would be worth it. Plus, you can always mentioned that if a customer wants to buy it from the dealer than good luck. Because, they would probably sell it brand new for $15,000 to 16,000 plus tax, registration fees, and all that other hidden costs.

Sale: F3-S Manual shift with a 1330cc $16,000 out-the-door or better offer. Don’t go lower than $15,000

If necessary ride while you still have it. Show it around in the cities, and let them look at it with awe.... or just trade it in.