Spyder Garage

Default Most benefit, muffler or cat bypass?

I am wanting to do either a cat bypass or muffler on my RT. Not wanting to do anything crazy or loud.....just want to see the opinions on which one would give the most benefit and be worth the money.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

That's almost impossible to answer as asked. Most benefit is subjective to each person - sound, performance, etc. and worth the money - well same thing, $20 may be a fortune to one person and another may happily throw down $1000. I think you need to define what you really want and then the cost/benefit is only something you can answer.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

I've done both, a cat delete to start with which gave me a little more: performance, sound, and gas mileage. I found an exhaust system that PitBull Powersports offers for about half of the others, and I bought it. Now I have more performance, sound, and 45 mpg. For me the big draw back is the sound, it is almost too loud. The best sound I've heard is with an Akropovik muffler and not cat, but that muffler is $1,000.00, too much for my pocket book. Shop around and make up your own mind, try to see other Spyders and get an idea of what's available, and what you are willing to live with.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    That's almost impossible to answer as asked. Most benefit is subjective to each person - sound, performance, etc. and worth the money - well same thing, $20 may be a fortune to one person and another may happily throw down $1000. I think you need to define what you really want and then the cost/benefit is only something you can answer.
    Well a decent exhaust, Two Bros or Yoshi, is going to be about the same as a cat bypass. So saying the money is equivalent.... Which would give the most benefit for the money? I wouldn't mind a little more sound but nothing loud. Plus if I could get a few more MPG's that would be good too
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

cat delete

Spyder Garage

Default Most benefit, muffler or cat bypass?

Ive read that doing just the muffler is a waste of your time and money so I did both. The cat is very restrictive and I didn't like the sound with just the cat delete. I'm in for about 700 with the Lamonster cat bypass and 2bros s1r. Adding the two bros gives it more of a deep growl rather than a tinny whine. At least that's what I think it sounds like.

https://youtu.be/Wz2pFVnBgbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

They are both restrictive to the flow. I would have to go with the cat being first, creating a lot of heat and being very heavy. The only way to tell is for someone who has done both and that may be hard to find. Not any I know took off the cat, then put it back on to try a pipe. The best would be to take off the cat and later go with a pipe if you like. There was a post recently with audio of RT with stock set up cat removed and pipe added you could search that out and check with him...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They are both restrictive to the flow. I would have to go with the cat being first, creating a lot of heat and being very heavy. The only way to tell is for someone who has done both and that may be hard to find. Not any I know took off the cat, then put it back on to try a pipe. The best would be to take off the cat and later go with a pipe if you like. There was a post recently with audio of RT with stock set up cat removed and pipe added you could search that out and check with him...
    Gene is it legal to remove the Cat in California? Any warranty implications???
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Answer

No and no.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First I put on a Two Bros and didn't see any real benefit. Then I hit the Pitbull Cat/Exhaust combo performance was better and improved gas mileage but it was too loud for me. So I went with a cat bypass and the Two Bros and that was even louder still. I am now running the cat bypass with the stock exhaust and I am finally happy. Gas mileage isn't as good as with the other setups but still much better than with the stock setup.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Gene is it legal to remove the Cat in California? Any warranty implications???
    Appears it is not legal in Texas. Doesn't mean people don't do it anyway.
    https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit...tampering.html
    Last edited by RiverCity45; 04-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

I agree with others that have gone with the Cat delete... I'd start there and keep the stock pipe and see how you like it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity45 View Post
    Appears it is not legal in Texas. Doesn't mean people don't do it anyway.
    https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit...tampering.html
    [emoji23] havent been asked once if the Spyder has a cat and or emmissions info when we get it expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Cat delete on 998 fully loaded 2up gained 9 MPG.
    Well worth it, just a little louder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you remove the cat do you need any programing?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    If you remove the cat do you need any programing?
    Nope, altho there is a possibility that idling it for 10 mins or so before riding off after the change will let the computer catch up with the difference. Not gonna argue about it, but I personally did the idle thing after fitting the cat eliminator with the stock muffler on my 2013 RT & have no issues, but I do now enjoy noticeably better mid range response & significantly better fuel economy... fully documented & witnessed by others!

And everyone likes the change in the exhaust note!