Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default On the occasion of my 59th...

I'd like to say howdy. Plopped down some dough yesterday on a '16 RT Limited Picking up mid week if I don't chicken out. Traditional story: 2-wheeler since the ealy 70s, mostly enduros but also a Yamaha Venture that I brought back from the dead. Since moving from the flatlands of coastal Ole Miss to the mountains of southern NM the old XVZ has been mostly sitting. It's 5 miles up a rocky canyon road to home and the old girl really takes a beating just getting to blacktop. Plus I've dumped her after hitting a gopher hole and it's getting alot harder to pick her up solo. So she's on the auction block.

Already picked up a ton of good intel here - tires, sway braces, vibes, lights etc. so hoping to be around for a good while. I'll definitely miss the Venture, she goes like a banshee but not like a VMax, love the purr and acceleration, but it's just too hard getting to open road from here. I'm hoping the RT will be okay off-road; it's not a hard-core Jeep/ HUMMER rock-climbing road, just gravelly, alternately dusty or muddy, rutty and pot-holey. Should be able to go slow, admire the views and mitigate the bumps. Shoulda brought my gun (should be fun).

So that's good for a start. Welcome to me.
    Richard

Spyder Garage

Just be careful on gravel roads. Go slow enough not to pick up loose stones and throw them into your drive belt. Other than that, have fun.

And welcome to Spyderlovers. You'll love it here and on your Spyder.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TO THE NEWBIE

& ............ check the " Do's and Do not's " thread ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you take the dirt road slow you will be fine. I just moved to Carrizozo and some of the streets here are gravel plus my driveway is approx 600 foot of gravel. You will enjoy the RT. I have a 2014 RTL. If you have questions please contact me.

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations. ...

Welcome to the spyder world and this site. Congrats on the new ryde... you will really enjoy it and as mentioned the rocky road needs some attention.. but once you hit that blacktop
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Richard,

As has been said, just watch out for rocks getting into the sprocket/belt. It might be worth while getting the after market belt guard to help prevent that.
    The Spyder will definitely make your life easier getting up and down your canyon road.

I've actually been following your thread on Ventureriders. As you know there are a few folks on here from the Venture world. I have not been active there for several years but I still check in to see what is going on. Really sad to hear about Black Owl. Met him at PIP years ago.

I think you will love the Spyder. It is a little different to operate but they really grow on you. This forum is a massive wealth of knowledge with many people that are always happy to help out.

Gary
    Last edited by cognaccruiser; 04-02-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and
    Gravel and dirt roads require just a little bit of caution; It's possible to pick up a stone, and ruin your belt and pulleys... Just take it easy, and you'll have no trouble at all.
    Spyderpops sells a belt guard that should help reduce the chances of any problems!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

& on your new Spyder.

The Spyder is by no means an off-road vehicle, but as others have said, you should be OK if you go slow. At least you won't fall over with it.
    when you get it?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

and on your new .

BlueKnight has you covered about reading the "Do's and Don'ts."

Bob has you covered on a SpyderPops belt guard.

Rocks and gravel are not the friend of the . Take it easy and you should be fine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome! I made the switch last year on the occasion of my 59th (well, a little earlier, but it was the best present of my year),
    I'll second all above and mention another possible consideration for the dirt/gravel that you have to travel, Roadster Renovations (Doc Humphreys) has a protective Air Ryde Rock Armour guard for the airbags that keeps rocks from getting into the bottom cup of the stock rear shock bag and cutting the bag. His website is found on the SL home page.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW, thanks everybody for the replies. I cruised the do's/don't's section before I got serious about this. I'll be taking it slow in the canyon for sure anyway, but I'm gonna get one of them belt guards and maybe the Air Ryde Rock Armour Guard for protection.

Prairie Spyder, I'm due to pick it up mid-week in Las Cruces. The Pearl Red Limited was at a sister dealership so they gotta go fetch it and prep it. Plus I'm trading a Polaris 4-wheeler I didn't really want in the first place but thought I needed it to push snow. We're in southern NM and it just doesn't make sense to have it for the occasional dust-up we get here. No trailer so they're coming to get it Tuesday.

Cognaccruiser, I was surprised at all the replies over on the Venture site! I love those guys and gals, will definitely keep up the membership and check in on the goings-on over there. I've been in the garage all day prepping the Venture for eventual buyers. Would you believe it, I just today got the rear brakes bled properly for the first time ever?? Only took 5 years but them babies are super-firm now. Go figure!

A couple of us out here in the canyon have been pushing the county to take better care of the road, this'll give me added impetus to keep bugging the crap out of them. I'm also looking at trying to get motorist aid call boxes out here, no cell service and plenty of vehicle incidents, but that's a little...what, no 'Off Topic' icon?? Dang, foruminator!!

So lots of good poop on this site, glad to be here. Was gonna make a tire comment but that's just mean.
    Think I'll get the removeable driver's backrest when I pick it up but that should be about it. I'll drop a pic when it's in hand. Thanks again to all!
    Richard

Spyder Garage

Default mississippi state

Spyder Garage

Default hahahaha

did not need more explanation !!! go dawgs !

Spyder Garage

Default also from there

I hope you can find a great road like the natchez trace parkway too ride ! I am thinking of heading back just too ride the trail

Spyder Garage

Default a little home tribute

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flyday58 View Post
    I'd like to say howdy. Plopped down some dough yesterday on a '16 RT Limited Picking up mid week if I don't chicken out. Traditional story: 2-wheeler since the ealy 70s, mostly enduros but also a Yamaha Venture that I brought back from the dead. Since moving from the flatlands of coastal Ole Miss to the mountains of southern NM the old XVZ has been mostly sitting. It's 5 miles up a rocky canyon road to home and the old girl really takes a beating just getting to blacktop. Plus I've dumped her after hitting a gopher hole and it's getting alot harder to pick her up solo. So she's on the auction block.

Already picked up a ton of good intel here - tires, sway braces, vibes, lights etc. so hoping to be around for a good while. I'll definitely miss the Venture, she goes like a banshee but not like a VMax, love the purr and acceleration, but it's just too hard getting to open road from here. I'm hoping the RT will be okay off-road; it's not a hard-core Jeep/ HUMMER rock-climbing road, just gravelly, alternately dusty or muddy, rutty and pot-holey. Should be able to go slow, admire the views and mitigate the bumps. Shoulda brought my gun (should be fun).

Richard
    Congratulations on the purchase of a new bike. I bought my 2012 last year and I love it. Used to ride Goldwings until I got a bum knee so feel a lot safer on this. You have to be very careful on that rough road with the potholes because there is very little ground clearance. I installed a Bump/skid today and found that the standard one was all chewed up. Enjoy your new ride!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Youngers, we got tons of mountain roads out here, lots of switchbacks with great views, even got Route 66 a few hours away if I feel the need. I'm looking forward to the ride from the dealer through the Organ Mountains and across White Sands. Wonder if there's a break-in procedure...
    Dawgs? What's a dawg?? I'm totally lost here

Kbruehl, I'll look into the bump/skid, you got a web site for it? Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

WOW, thanks everybody for the replies. I cruised the do's/don't's section before I got serious about this. I'll be taking it slow in the canyon for sure anyway, but I'm gonna get one of them belt guards and maybe the Air Ryde Rock Armour Guard for protection.

Prairie Spyder, I'm due to pick it up mid-week in Las Cruces. The Pearl Red Limited was at a sister dealership so they gotta go fetch it and prep it. Plus I'm trading a Polaris 4-wheeler I didn't really want in the first place but thought I needed it to push snow. We're in southern NM and it just doesn't make sense to have it for the occasional dust-up we get here. No trailer so they're coming to get it Tuesday.

Cognaccruiser, I was surprised at all the replies over on the Venture site! I love those guys and gals, will definitely keep up the membership and check in on the goings-on over there. I've been in the garage all day prepping the Venture for eventual buyers. Would you believe it, I just today got the rear brakes bled properly for the first time ever?? Only took 5 years but them babies are super-firm now. Go figure!

A couple of us out here in the canyon have been pushing the county to take better care of the road, this'll give me added impetus to keep bugging the crap out of them. I'm also looking at trying to get motorist aid call boxes out here, no cell service and plenty of vehicle incidents, but that's a little...what, no 'Off Topic' icon?? Dang, foruminator!!

So lots of good poop on this site, glad to be here. Was gonna make a tire comment but that's just mean.
    Think I'll get the removeable driver's backrest when I pick it up but that should be about it. I'll drop a pic when it's in hand. Thanks again to all!
    Richard

DEFINATELY get the backrest.....you'll thank me later!

And welcome to The Wonderful World of Spyders!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

on your You will love the ryde.

Enjoy!
    Ranman42

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Kbruehl, I'll look into the bump/skid, you got a web site for it? Thanks for the help.
    Also Spyderpops. They have lighted and unlit.

Spyder Garage

Welcome over from VR. I stopped riding Ventures in 2011 but have continued to stay active over there. I joined them back in the beginning along with The Venturers. I still have my 87 VR but haven't ridden it in years. This site is very similar to VentureRiders.org with lots of very friendly and very knowledgeable riders. Post early, post often, and post pictures.

Richard

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

& What they said.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

IMG_3319.jpg
    Farkel Faerie came. If I only had something to put it all on...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is how it always starts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!