Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    No offense intended... it just doesn't sound like you've ridden an F3 hard in the twisties because the F3 can outperform an RS any day in them. I actually happen to be one of the 'very good riders'... there's a group of us that get together at the fests and go tear it up. Most wouldn't even attempt to keep up with us. Those who switched to the F3 have had an automatic advantage and pulled away from us GS/RS guys. Now that most of us are on F3's it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Come on down to Spyderfest if you'd like to go out and play... we know all the great roads.
    I think everyone is a good rider or a riding legend in their own mind but what you and Drew are talking about are 2 different things as far as riding styles go. When living in Europe I did the Ducati race track experience on a safety course and track master course. Having said that, do I think you would be able to keep up with me on a track with two exactly similar Ducati's, probably not. On the other hand, would you beat me on road twisties on your Spyder and I was on mine; possibly. You put those 2 spyders on a track, different outcome. I ride 2 wheels with some guys that are pro riders and stunt riders, can I keep up with them when we are on our weekend rides, absolutely. Can I keep up with them on the track, I value my life a bit too much to try and keep up and I consider myself a pretty good rider.

Track riding and road riding, two separate skill sets.

At the end of the day, what does it matter? 1330, 998, who cares, they both are fast. Each to their own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"In the other corner we have a firefly from what we in the Buckeye state call"the state up north" because we will not utter that M word while on this ground. Who by the way I have had words with as well because he is on the wrong side of patriotism.

So since he argued with me, and he is from TSUN,..."

Dan's Politics are his; and that's his right.
    (Remember that whole First Amendment thing? It means that he can say what he likes, and we are free to disagree with him. )

Remember that speech about "Advanced Citizenship" in this movie?

Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yeah yeah for sure he has every right, I was just trying to figure out who MAY be correct in this. It is splitting hairs and like I said in an earlier post on this thread I think does not matter one bit.
    I am disappointed how far this all went from just a friendly little question.

All I was doing was splitting more hairs as unrelated and irrelivent as they are to determine who I would cheer for on the sidelines when they meet at the light tree with the pavement ahead.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of the best racing happens on "Mahogany Ridge"; after the alcohol-fueled racers are good & ready!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OP wasn't asking a question. He was stating his opinion about initially being disappointed with the 1330 vs the 998. It wasn't all its made out to be. Then all the 1330 zombies lost their minds. [emoji33] [emoji23]

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just not true...
    Who's to say that I ever HAD one?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

good night Irene.

Disclaimer: I am a good rider but I won't be challenging Uncle Bob to prove it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

james_munroe_3664.jpg

Spyder Garage

The OP wasn't asking a question. He was stating his opinion about initially being disappointed with the 1330 vs the 998. It wasn't all its made out to be. Then all the 1330 zombies lost their minds. [emoji33] [emoji23]

so is it safe to assume my 09 SpyderRS will be faster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

Spyder Garage

The results of my, somewhat unscientific, comparison of an RS 2011 vs an F3 2015/6 (can't remember which)

On a test road circuit I did one lap on my RS to set a benchmark and then six on the F3 to see if I could beat it. The test route was rural roads with a lot bends but a couple of longer straights (so typical of the types of roads I normally ride on).

On my RS I did 9m 12s. Quickest I managed on the F3 was 10m 03s.

The F3 only had the stock Kenda tires which did loose traction a few times on the corners which didn't help - but also shows that I was serious about trying to get a good time.

The F3 sitting position also prevented me moving around as much as I would on the RS. I move around quite a bit when riding the Spyder and like to move into the corner and forward as much as possible to put weight on the front inside wheel to try and stop it lifting. The laid back position of the F3 didn't let me do that and I think that's also part of the reason why the cornering speeds where slower.

The gearing seemed wrong on the F3 for this sort of riding. Have heard since that there is a known issue with the spacing of 2nd gear on the F3's imported to this part of the world.

My RS did have much better tires on it and an upgraded swaybar but otherwise is stock. Obviously I'm more familiar with it but that's why I did only one lap on the RS and six on the F3.

Though there was other factors involved I still found the engine didn't really deliver the power I was expecting/wanted. Certainly that, and the sitting position, put me off buying one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    If you ask any 1330 owner, no.[emoji38]

Spyder Garage

settled
    Their both good in there own right

There's an ass for every seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think that more time in the F3's saddle would improve your time?
    How about the tire and swaybar upgrades; did they make a significant difference?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about the tire and swaybar upgrades; did they make a significant difference?
    Maybe he wasn't sitting low enough in the seat? [emoji85] [emoji87]

Sent from Bob Denman's 1330 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Did anybody answer the original poster ??
    I don't think so.

I think it is rather unfortunate that the new engine was coupled with a "tighter ratio" transmission.
    That means that you have to rev the engine out farther.....and keep it there......to really realize or feel the additional power.

I think it would have been MUCH better to couple the new power plant to a wider spaced gear box like they already had......and ADD a 6th gear overdrive.

This design change is kind of a sell out to racing designs, which I don't think really have a place in this kind of a machine.
    But it's a common problem. I've upped the front pulley on several bikes I've owned.......so that they would "pull harder" up through the gears without rev'ing so high.

Spyder Garage

no and I wish you would stop with your 1330 propaganda

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Piston freely admitted that he was more familiar with the RS...
    ...And that it had some suspension and tire upgrades.

Asking if these circumstances might have made a worthwhile difference, is pretty far from being a
    "1330 propagandist".
    It's more like trying to be fair about the entire comparison issue...

Spyder Garage

Piston freely admitted that he was more familiar with the RS...
    ...And that it had some suspension and tire upgrades.

Asking if these circumstances might have made a worthwhile difference, is pretty far from being a
    "1330 propagandist".
    It's more like trying to be fair about the entire comparison issue...

please stop with your long explanations

If I ever buy another Spyder, it will be a RT Ltd
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 04-05-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sent from my Bob Denman's 1330 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for allowing things to derail. Sometimes the keyboard gets the better of me.
    All I can offer is my real world experience. I can't speak on the 1330 RT as I haven't ridden one much, but with over 100,000 miles between an 08 GS, a 12 RT and a 15 F3 I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the differences.
    They're all great bikes and I wouldn't shy away from owning any of them. I prefer the F3 platform for its handling and power. Others may prefer something else.. and that's just fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I don't think so.

I think it is rather unfortunate that the new engine was coupled with a "tighter ratio" transmission.
    That means that you have to rev the engine out farther.....and keep it there......to really realize or feel the additional power.

I think it would have been MUCH better to couple the new power plant to a wider spaced gear box like they already had......and ADD a 6th gear overdrive.

This design change is kind of a sell out to racing designs, which I don't think really have a place in this kind of a machine.
    But it's a common problem. I've upped the front pulley on several bikes I've owned.......so that they would "pull harder" up through the gears without rev'ing so high.
    Wow- Exactly! I have had the 09GS for 32,000 miles and the 2012 RT for 17,000 Miles- Both 998 Engines and What I miss in MY F3 sm6 is the WIDE gears of the 998 Engine!
    I know they did it for Gas mileage but I much PREFER reving out the 998 twin ?
    Give me the 998 Gear ratio in my sm6 F3 and I would be in heaven!!!!~ I don't care about the extra 3-4 miles per gallon????

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I don't think so, at least not significantly on the route I was doing as I was definitely pushing the limit on braking ,cornering speed and acceleration with the F3. I had the rear tire loose traction several times and the fronts once as well which suggests it didn't really have much more to give. After the first couple of laps there wasn't much difference in the times.

I do think the sitting position was a significant factor. I'm 6'2" but long limbed with a 36" inside leg. This meant the foot pegs were in their most forward position (in fact the fitting page on Can-am's page doesn't go that far). This really limited how much I could move around for corners etc. The seat shape is also designed to keep you in place, unlike the stock RS one which is curved to encourage movement.

I found it similar to my experiences with snowmobiles. You can normally ride those feet forward or with your feet under you, but feet forward doesn't give you the maneuverability for fast travel through forests etc. I can remember once riding a snowmobile in Finland while recovering from a motorcycle accident and had to ride feet forward as my knee wouldn't bend very far. Just didn't have the stability or ability to turn like normal, must have fallen off a dozen times that day.

Obviously the F3 being a demonstrator had stock swaybar and tires. The handling seemed good generally, the stock F3 swaybar is better than the stock RS one.

The tires were a bigger issue, certainly the loss of traction on some of the corners meant I had to limit my cornering a bit to get a better overall speed. At the time I had a Toyo Proxie T1R on the back of the RS which is a fantastic tire for that sort of work.

Brakes on the F3 were better which meant I could brake a little later, though there wasn't that much difference as all Spyder brakes are very good. Exit speeds for the F3 was slower though and one bit that involved a series of tight bends on a steep uphill section was noticeably slower on the F3.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

h

Who took the picture of Bab at the rally when then brought out the platter of bacon?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate