Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nobody seems to get this...

You're trying to compare two engine/transmission combinations: in two vastly different-sized bikes.

Run a 2013 (or earlier) RT up against a 2014 (or later) RT, and you'll have the fairest possible comparison.

Or do you actually think that comparing a Mustang to a Station Wagon is entertaining?
    Actually, I think his comparison of the GS and the RS against a F3S is about as fair as you will get in order to see which bike is faster. They are both the naked and sportier versions of both drive trains. I agree, to compare the different engines in the same bike would be one way to go, but to compare different, but similar bikes, with different drive trains is a fair comparison. To compare the old and new RT is like comparing a 2010 mustang with the 4.6 and 5 speed, against a 2011 mustang with the 5.0 and 6 speed. They may look the same, but that is where the comparison should end.
    I drove a 2016 F3T on yesterday. I was really impressed with the power and handling. But around each corner and in each straight way, all I could think was, is this really faster than my 2012 RSS? Around here we have a lot of spyders in our group. But only 2 of them have the F3. Both of these guys cruise very slowly and are very timid about getting on the bikes in the straights or twisties. In fact, I find myself waiting for them even when I am on my RT.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The true test would be a dyno.... and I'm betting the 1330 bests the 998 easily. Seat of the pants the 1330 RT pulls far better than the 998 RT.
    F3 feels like it does as well compared to an RS, buts it's been awhile since I rode an RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The true test would be a dyno.... and I'm betting the 1330 bests the 998 easily. Seat of the pants the 1330 RT pulls far better than the 998 RT.
    F3 feels like it does as well compared to an RS, buts it's been awhile since I rode an RS.

A comparison on the Dyno would only compare the engines and nothing else. That is why we actually have races, to see which car, bike, boat, etc. is really the fastest. Both engines have different peak hp and tq. rpms, but the driver would need to know where that is and how to utilize it in the best way. I had this problem when I first got my RSS. I was used to (and enjoyed) staying in the lower RPM range. But I have since learned that in order to get the most out of the Vtwin, you have to let if rev. If all we are going to do is compare the engines, we can actually just look in the back of one of the magazines and see which engine has the most hp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've "played" on multiple rides and swapped back and forth several times. Nobody is going to argue that the 1330 puts down more power than a stock 998. It better.... The difference we've found is simply weight. With similar sized riders on both, the RS is faster, especially the first gen GS/RS. Now, lighten that F3 up about 100lbs and things get more even, quickly.
    In the twisties the better riders are quicker on the RS. It's the ability to throw around in the corners, for those that dare to hang off the side. However, The F3 is easier to ride quicker, especially for the generally slower riders. It's harder to move the body around since your butt is stuck in that seat, and your only movement is in the upper body.

All 3 machines are completely different, and serve different preferences.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dynos are for Harley riders and those wanting to brag about a build....lol. There is SO much more to it than that.

Spyder Garage

It was my cousin who had the F3 and we are very competitive. I've spent some time setting up mine for ride quality. Would love to have a F3T but every time I rev up the GS I hear payed for payed for. The way the F3 is set up I believe it would handle the curves better than my GS. I do like the torque of the F3. Being able to slow down and not having to downshift. If I had the money I would get me a F3T with the trunk on back. Best looking Spyder to me I have seen. My cousin isn't riding at present due to a motorcycle accident, which totaled out his F3. We are hoping he will recover to ride again. Will probably be a year or two for this to happen. He had bruised his spinal core. Women ran thru a intersection on a major highway right in front of him. Bad part is she hasn't had insurance in 8 years. I know my GS has no way the torque that the F3 has, and I love torque feeling. In the process of designing a belt tensioner for mine. I know they sell them, but just something I like to do. I was a chief mechanic offshore till both knees replaced.Maybe see ya'll at Spyderfest. This will be my first one.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    We've "played" on multiple rides and swapped back and forth several times. Nobody is going to argue that the 1330 puts down more power than a stock 998. It better.... The difference we've found is simply weight. With similar sized riders on both, the RS is faster, especially the first gen GS/RS. Now, lighten that F3 up about 100lbs and things get more even, quickly.
    In the twisties the better riders are quicker on the RS. It's the ability to throw around in the corners, for those that dare to hang off the side. However, The F3 is easier to ride quicker, especially for the generally slower riders. It's harder to move the body around since your butt is stuck in that seat, and your only movement is in the upper body.

Doesn't sound like you've ridden an F3 in the twisties. I ride them hard and fast and could throw my GS and RT around the twisties like no tomorrow... but the F3 can handle them much faster. No need to lean off the side or shift your weight because you're sitting IN the bike with a lower center of gravity. I've seen average riders on F3's be able to hang with really good riders on RS's. I had both my GS and RT set up to handle great.... sway bars, Elka's, etc. and a basically stock F3 will keep up easily. The F3 naturally handles better... add a swaybar and decent shocks and you're only gonna see taillights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't sound like you've ridden an F3 in the twisties. I ride them hard and fast and could throw my GS and RT around the twisties like no tomorrow... but the F3 can handle them much faster. No need to lean off the side or shift your weight because you're sitting IN the bike with a lower center of gravity. I've seen average riders on F3's be able to hang with really good riders on RS's. I had both my GS and RT set up to handle great.... sway bars, Elka's, etc. and a basically stock F3 will keep up easily. The F3 naturally handles better... add a swaybar and decent shocks and you're only gonna see taillights.
    Lol...Whatever you say, good for you...[emoji106] [emoji85] sounds more like you've never ridden with some really good riders...
    And I'll save you the time of the next post because, no I'm not claiming Im one of those riders. But I have ridden with some very good riders, ridden their machines (and them mine). Spent time with people who truly know the sport.. Including a 12 year old that passed me last year on the track riding a Rukus... Not my proudest moment.

I think you either didn't read what I said completely, or you really fall into a group that you think your better than. Either way, it doesn't matter. Move on, just ride safe...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

I agree with all said above.

Spyder Garage

I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a engine comparison I can tell you I really don't care but what I do have are a very particular set of riding skills. If I see a 1330 on the track, I will find you and I will pass you, on my Rukus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a engine comparison I can tell you I really don't care but what I do have are a very particular set of riding skills. If I see a 1330 on the track, I will find you and I will pass you, on my Rukus.

Lol.. suuuure you will.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

Lol.. suuuure you will.

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Lol...Whatever you say, good for you...[emoji106] [emoji85] sounds more like you've never ridden with some really good riders...
    And I'll save you the time of the next post because, no I'm not claiming Im one of those riders. But I have ridden with some very good riders, ridden their machines (and them mine). Spent time with people who truly know the sport.. Including a 12 year old that passed me last year on the track riding a Rukus... Not my proudest moment.

I think you either didn't read what I said completely, or you really fall into a group that you think your better than. Either way, it doesn't matter. Move on, just ride safe...

No offense intended... it just doesn't sound like you've ridden an F3 hard in the twisties because the F3 can outperform an RS any day in them. I actually happen to be one of the 'very good riders'... there's a group of us that get together at the fests and go tear it up. Most wouldn't even attempt to keep up with us. Those who switched to the F3 have had an automatic advantage and pulled away from us GS/RS guys. Now that most of us are on F3's it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Come on down to Spyderfest if you'd like to go out and play... we know all the great roads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No offense intended... Come on down to Spyderfest if you'd like to go out and play... we know all the great roads.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmlnltVzksg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you think your a good rider...Whatever....Again, you didn't read what I posted. I'll say it again, maybe better. The RS can be ridden harder and faster than the F3 if you know what your doing. The F3 is easier to ride....Especially if you "think" you know what your doing....or not.

I have no interest in Spyderfest and group rides with a bunch of Spyder riders who claim to be good riders. I've seen the vids others have posted of the event from years past and it's not what I would call "tearing it up"...Lol. But if that's what you enjoy, then great.
    It's no wonder other two wheel riders don't like most Spyder riders and they get butt hurt and post ass hole titled threads here.

Where are you? Do you have a track nearby that does open rides? Any interest in coming to NJ to do a few track days with some really good riders? I'm not talking about street riding. I'm talking about spending time and riding with some really good riders, some that even ride for a living. I haven't been in a while, but every time I do, I learn something new. Not likely something learned while "tearing it up" at Spyderfest...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes make fun, I really did get passed by a Rukus....😁. Later, I got passed by one of the local track junkies that borrowed my son's KLR. He just had to turn the screws to show me how slow I really am. I don't have the stones to ride like some of these guys, but it's amazing what you can learn just being around, watching, listening, and being smart enough to know you don't know it all. It's all in good fun with no attitudes.
    Again, likely not any riding techniques learned "tearing it up" from a group of Spyder riders, where the majority have never ridden anything prior to the Spyder.

Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

You guys seem to be falling into a stupid flame war.
    Did anybody answer the original poster ??

I had a 2010 998 and then sold it to buy a 2014 1330.
    Honestly, I can't speak for the power band, since I'm not an aggressive rider.
    The advantages for me are several:
    • The 1330 has a much longer schedule between oil changes
    • The 1330 gets better gas mileage increasing the overall range of the machine. This is important as a daily driver.
    • The 1330 doesn't burn oil at anywhere near the rate

The other advantages are in the suspension geometry. The 1330 is more stable.

You guys can fight over who has the faster bike. The winner can get to work that much sooner.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default 998cc VS 1330cc engines

Glad you think your a good rider...Whatever....Again, you didn't read what I posted. I'll say it again, maybe better. The RS can be ridden harder and faster than the F3 if you know what your doing. The F3 is easier to ride....Especially if you "think" you know what your doing....or not.

I have no interest in Spyderfest and group rides with a bunch of Spyder riders who claim to be good riders. I've seen the vids others have posted of the event from years past and it's not what I would call "tearing it up"...Lol. But if that's what you enjoy, then great.
    It's no wonder other two wheel riders don't like most Spyder riders and they get butt hurt and post ass hole titled threads here.

Where are you? Do you have a track nearby that does open rides? Any interest in coming to NJ to do a few track days with some really good riders? I'm not talking about street riding. I'm talking about spending time and riding with some really good riders, some that even ride for a living. I haven't been in a while, but every time I do, I learn something new. Not likely something learned while "tearing it up" at Spyderfest...

You've never seen videos of us tearing it up because we've never filmed it.
    We're not talking GROUP rides.. we don't do those. We get 4 or 5 of us that CAN ride together and tear it up. Doesn't sound like you'd get an invite with your attitude... We actually like to have FUN.. which doesn't quite sound like your thing...
    We also ride the mountains in TN and tear it up.
    We do drags.. either on the street or rent a strip. Best test is the mountains in TN where you can ride a good 20 mile stretch of twisties. That's the riding I'm talking about.. and no way in hell is a GS going to hang with an F3 with comparable riders on each.

Oh.. and I don't think I'm a good rider..... I know I am.
    Last edited by Firefly; 04-05-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Again, you didn't read. So, sorry, nothing to add as it seems your getting your panties in a wad defending yourself.... Sorry your upset.

Just waiting for Bob D to break out the pom poms again and start cheerleading for you! 😁

Spyder Garage

Starting to sound like Annie Git Yer Gun

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 998 VS 1330

WOW! This thread has gotten way out of hand! Both the 998 and 1330 engines are great engines. I have owned both. I owned a '13 ST-S before I traded for a '15 F3-S. I loved both, but I give the F3-S the edge in overall performance and ride. I am not an aggressive rider and have never "torn up the twisties" so I can't comment on that. Can we please stop the flame throwing?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have my finger on the close thread button. Play nice or play somewhere else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I have my finger on the close thread button. Play nice or play somewhere else.

David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post

David

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow this has been exciting. I have not enjoyed the aroma of this much testosterone since some specialized military training about a hundred years ago.

In one corner we have a contender that on his picture he plainly states "Does not play well with others."
    In the other corner we have a firefly from what we in the Buckeye state call"the state up north" because we will not utter that M word while on this ground. Who by the way I have had words with as well because he is on the wrong side of patriotism.

So since he argued with me, and he is from TSUN, I guess I will go with the old Byke with the little engine ridden by the guy that does not play well with others, but then at least we knew up front what we were dealing with.

Hey, just chill, take a Ryde and relax.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate