Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 998cc VS 1330cc engines

Guys, I got my new Spyder RT Limited today with the 1330 engine everyone talks about! I have read many articles on here how powerful the 1330 is! I haven't had a chance to ride it much today, but my first impression is that my 2013 RT Limited with the 998cc engine would run all over the 1330 that everyone is bragging on! I see maybe less power! I am disappointed with the power I was expecting! Since it is new, maybe the power will show up in a few weeks or so! I guess I read this forum a lot and was expecting too much! You guys with your 998cc engine don't get over excited about trading them and paying these dealer prices expecting sometime great to pop out of the box! O'well, that my two sense after only a short ride or two on my first day of ownership!

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I kind of agree with you. My 2012 RT had lots of pop, and I think quicker acceleration. Having said that, my 2015 RT has a higher top speed and I can do a 150 foot burnout. I also think it handles better without the beefier swaybar versus the 2012 that had it on it. As it stands, ill take Cocaine over The Beast.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I cannot compare the 2 engines in the same size bike, but I will say that my 2012 RSS is a bit faster than my 2014 RT with the 1330. In fact, I test drove a F3T with the 1330, and it was not as fast as my 2012 RSS. I really didn't expect it since my rss is rated at 106 hp and the F3T is rated at only 115 hp, and it is much heavier.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COMPARISION

In 2014 I took a first place trophy with my stock 2011 RSS ( V-twin ) it was running spot on . .. I now have an RT with the 1330 Ace engine .......... I have no complaints ,..... they are different beasts and must be operated differently to get the most out of each. For me it's hard to make a direct comparison now - because my RT 1330 is the only other Fan Forced Induction Ace engine ( besides BRP's ) that I know of...... I can say that the 1330 has an unusually long break-in time compared with the V-twin ...... after about 3500 miles it perks up and you will also see better gas mileage ............................. jmho..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-01-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But why do you think that it's fair to compare a looesend-up 998, to a fresh 1330 with no miles on it?

Patience.jpg

Come back in about 6,000 miles or so.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I went from an ST 998 to a F3 1330 and I think the F3 is much stronger.
    I think people just don't rev the 1330 like the 998 because you don't have to. But, if you do rev it past 5000 you'll be rewarded with the real power of the 1330. Crack that throttle open people!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

I love the 998 but that being said the thing to remember is how well you can make your engine sing...everyone is different. I find a lot of folks are leary of running the high rpm's the 998 likes so they do find the 1330 much more powerful. You just need to find the power band and stay there. In my case the 9 hp more the 1330 has is not noticeable and the 6th gear make getting up to speed a bit longer...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Linda, who drives the 998 these days, says I blow her doors off when we are going down the ramps to enter the freeway. The power is in the low end torque. It works for me, but I am not planning on entering any NASCAR races with my 1330.

Let us know what you think in a couple thousand miles or so. It may be different.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Linda, who drives the 998 these days, says I blow her doors off when we are going down the ramps to enter the freeway. The power is in the low end torque.
    Where do you spend most of your time while riding?
    At redline, with the Speedometer pegged?
    Or trying to pull away from stoplights and traffic?

In real-World riding conditions: the 1330 is much happier!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where do you spend most of your time while riding?
    At redline, with the Speedometer pegged?
    Or trying to pull away from stoplights and traffic?

In real-World riding conditions: the 1330 is much happier!
    Gimme a break! It's not like an on/off switch. The motors just operate more efficiently in different rev zones, nothing more.
    You sound like the Harley guys I know arguing with the gsxr guys I know....Or diesel vs gas...They are just different mills, nothing more.

With the bloated weight of the new RT and F3 they had to move the power band around or those pigs wouldn't even move off idle!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

they are both good.

to each their own

Spyder Garage

Smile 998s are not ready to send to the Bone Yard.

After reading this tread, I am appreciating my 998 V-Twin more than ever! My 2012 RT Limited is close to 53,000 miles on the clock, and running great. Looking at Trade in value from Dealers, I'd have a hard time being offered 10 Grand for it on a new 31 Grand RT that "might" give me a few more H.P. But traded off for another 20 Grand plus Sales Tax and licensing and extra Insurance. I prefer the RT over the F3, so all I would be getting for my 20 plus Grand on a new RT would be a different color, and a few more H.P. Reading thru some the high mileage threads, I am expecting to get to 100,000 miles on my 998 before any major maintenance or overhaul will be needed. So, looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon. Low mileage ,....under 20,000 miles used Rts are available with 998s on eBay and Cycle Trader, for 10-15 Grand, so even left over 2015 RT Limited discounted to $24 Grand is not worth the difference in money, ( to me ) . IF BRP comes up with a challenge to the Gold Wing Reversed Trike with 1800 CC six cylinder shaft drive for 30 Grand or under,......than I am ready to bite and take my losses. So until I see any major changes, than rebuilding my 998 when it reaches 100,000 miles seems to be my Plan. But plans change Day to day, depending on circumstances. Haven reached 75, I might need major rebuilding before my 998!
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    After reading this tread, I am appreciating my 998 V-Twin more than ever! My 2012 RT Limited is close to 53,000 miles on the clock, and running great. Looking at Trade in value from Dealers, I'd have a hard time being offered 10 Grand for it on a new 31 Grand RT that "might" give me a few more H.P. But traded off for another 20 Grand plus Sales Tax and licensing and extra Insurance. I prefer the RT over the F3, so all I would be getting for my 20 plus Grand on a new RT would be a different color, and a few more H.P. Reading thru some the high mileage threads, I am expecting to get to 100,000 miles on my 998 before any major maintenance or overhaul will be needed. So, looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon. Low mileage ,....under 20,000 miles used Rts are available with 998s on eBay and Cycle Trader, for 10-15 Grand, so even left over 2015 RT Limited discounted to $24 Grand is not worth the difference in money, ( to me ) . IF BRP comes up with a challenge to the Gold Wing Reversed Trike with 1800 CC six cylinder shaft drive for 30 Grand or under,......than I am ready to bite and take my losses. So until I see any major changes, than rebuilding my 998 when it reaches 100,000 miles seems to be my Plan. But plans change Day to day, depending on circumstances. Haven reached 75, I might need major rebuilding before my 998!
    Both versions are good. I am very happy with my one of each.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The old saying goes... there's no replacement for displacement.
    My 2008 GS with intake system, pipe and Power Commander ran great... but my F3 pulls harder.. no doubt. But I'll Rev her up to 8,000 like I did with my GS.
    My 2012 RT was a dog by comparison to either, but I learned to ride it where I could keep up with most RS's.
    There are many other advantages to the 1330 as well... better MPG, lower maintenance,infer interval between oil changes, smoother running.....
    I still do miss my old GS.. but the F3 is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Michaelscs;1241720]I went from an ST 998 to a F3 1330 and I think the F3 is much stronger.
    I think people just don't rev the 1330 like the 998 because you don't have to. But, if you do rev it past 5000 you'll be rewarded with the real power of the 1330. Crack that throttle open people![/QUOTE

Totally agree, wring it out and it moves!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, I got my new Spyder RT Limited today with the 1330 engine everyone talks about! I have read many articles on here how powerful the 1330 is! I haven't had a chance to ride it much today, but my first impression is that my 2013 RT Limited with the 998cc engine would run all over the 1330 that everyone is bragging on! I see maybe less power! I am disappointed with the power I was expecting! Since it is new, maybe the power will show up in a few weeks or so! I guess I read this forum a lot and was expecting too much! You guys with your 998cc engine don't get over excited about trading them and paying these dealer prices expecting sometime great to pop out of the box! O'well, that my two sense after only a short ride or two on my first day of ownership!
    I test rode a 2016 RT at the end of last year, really wanting to upgrade from my 2010 RT. Mainly the fuel mileage is what got me interested in looking. But......I'm like you, the difference in the feel of the engine just wouldn't justify a higher payment and extended years. My 998 is pretty spunky down low and I don't mind cruising at 4500-5000 rpms, the tunes drown the rpms out anyway.

I drive like grandpa most of the time anyway, my going fast years are gone especially with the missus behind me. I know very little of the 1330 but no doubt both engines are great. I think the biggest differences between the 2 are fuel mileage and maintenance intervals.

I'll get there someday, when I find a used model with 1330 that's reasonable. But I cant see spending $20k+ right now.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The old saying goes... there's no replacement for displacement.
    Ned.jpg

1330 Triple.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Silly old people, and their archaic mindset...
    If that were true Harleys and Goldwings would be the fastest bikes on the street with their 1700-1800 motors vs those silly small 1300-1400 sport bike motors.

Great marketing Kool aid though! Hey, it sold you on "trading up". Oil changes are less frequent too...Also, no valve checks...!!! Hahahaha 😂😂😂. Awesome!

People still getting butt hurt that a lot of people haven't drank the 1330 Kool aid, and are perfectly happy with their 998

I know of 3 local riders now that went from RS to F3 "trading up" and have gone back.
    BRP still has a lot of work to do.....[emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Smile And here we go!!!

Have ridden both(RT - models 990/1330)their were things that I found appealing about the 1330 but, I'm stuck(in a good way)on the 990. Absolutely love the RPM's it'll give ya, and the responsiveness of the paddle shift is beyond reproach.

However, to me, it's not what I like that matters. It's what YOU like.

And I hope each and every one of you is pleased with YOUR choice.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I cannot compare the 2 engines in the same size bike, but I will say that my 2012 RSS is a bit faster than my 2014 RT with the 1330. In fact, I test drove a F3T with the 1330, and it was not as fast as my 2012 RSS. I really didn't expect it since my rss is rated at 106 hp and the F3T is rated at only 115 hp, and it is much heavier.
    I have yet to ride a 2014 or later Spyder (of any kind), so I can't comment on whether the 2014 and later Spyders are faster. We have a 2012 Spyder RT-SE5, and while it seems to quick on acceleration, I have never tested it in a quarter mile. Nor do I know what the safe, ultimate cruising speed would be. I-84 through Idaho has a legal speed limit of 80 mph, and have held it there for awhile. But I also have been told that the 998cc, two cylinder engine, is not as fuel efficient as the 2014 and newer Spyders. But we love ours.

Spyder Garage

I ryde a 998 RT manual and I am happy for the most part. It runs real good and when I have to get on it it goes. Getting on the highway is easy and I am up to speed in a flash even ryding 2 up. I just wish the fuel mileage was a bit better, I get 35MPG which seems a bit low to me.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Question Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    I ryde a 998 RT manual and I am happy for the most part. It runs real good and when I have to get on it it goes. Getting on the highway is easy and I am up to speed in a flash even ryding 2 up. I just wish the fuel mileage was a bit better, I get 35MPG which seems a bit low to me.
    Seems to be Great Mileage to me - after all, the RT has the aerodynamics of a flying brick

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Hi Drew,

Re: Silly old people, and their archaic mindset...

I could not agree more. Heck, if I didn't I'd have to turn my Mech. Engr. degree to the wall.

A few years ago, Toyoto & Subaru teamed up to build a new car; now known as the 2017 Toyota 86 and the 2017 Subaru BRZ.

They did it because Toyota wanted the Subaru 4-cyl flat/opposed engine & Subaru wanted the far superior Toyota fuel injection system.

Car mfrs ( and motorcycle mfrs ) are simply getting far more power out of engines of smaller displacement today then ever before in history.

Jerry Baumchen

http://www.toyota.com/86/2017/photo-gallery/exterior

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html
    Last edited by JerryB; 04-03-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Silly old people, and their archaic mindset...
    If that were true Harleys and Goldwings would be the fastest bikes on the street with their 1700-1800 motors vs those silly small 1300-1400 sport bike motors.

Great marketing Kool aid though! Hey, it sold you on "trading up". Oil changes are less frequent too...Also, no valve checks...!!! Hahahaha ������. Awesome!

People still getting butt hurt that a lot of people haven't drank the 1330 Kool aid, and are perfectly happy with their 998

I know of 3 local riders now that went from RS to F3 "trading up" and have gone back.
    BRP still has a lot of work to do.....[emoji106]

For those with 998's and who drive a lot of miles--those maintenance and gasoline costs do add up, especially if you drink the valve check kool aid. No complaints with either version here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Drew,

Re: Silly old people, and their archaic mindset...

I could not agree more. Heck, if I didn't I'd have to turn my Mech. Engr. degree to the wall.

A few years ago, Toyoto & Subaru teamed up to build a new car; now known as the 2017 Toyota 86 and the 2017 Subaru BRZ.

They did because Toyota wanted the Subaru 4-cyl flat/opposed engine & Subaru wanted the far superior Toyota fuel injection system.

Car mfrs ( and motorcycle mfrs ) are simply getting far more power out of engines of smaller displacement today then ever before in history.

Jerry Baumchen

http://www.toyota.com/86/2017/photo-gallery/exterior

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

BRZ one hot cookie too bad they went away from the all wheel drive...jtpollock