Spyder Garage

Question Differences in handling for they years

We are looking to purchase a Spyder for me, a woman. We have found a used (barely) 2012 that has the package we want. But I was told that the 2017 handles much better than any of the previous years. I do not have my motorcycle endorsement yet, so I cannot test drive them on the road.

Any advise, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by durhamfl View Post
    We are looking to purchase a Spyder for me, a woman. We have found a used (barely) 2012 that has the package we want. But I was told that the 2017 handles much better than any of the previous years. I do not have my motorcycle endorsement yet, so I cannot test drive them on the road.

I had a 2012 RT for 4 years and just got a 2016 RT Special Series. I can tell you the 2016 handles significantly better than the 2012 and is easier on the arms. The 2012 was great and I loved it for a lot of years but the 2016 is much better.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2012 RT-L to a 2014 RT-S. (same as a 2017) Is the 2014 better than the 2012? Yes. Was the 2012 bad? No. If the 2012 looks good and sounds and drives good, go for it. If you were a sport driver, the 2017 would hold a slight advantage. If not, the 2012 will be a great bike.

Spyder Garage

We just traded our 2010 for a 2016, and there is a noticeable difference for sure. I would say that if your wallet allows, take the plunge for a 2017...or even a left over 2016 and save some money
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012RT and traded it for a 2015RT. The newer bike definitely handled better. But the 2012 was a great bike.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went from a 2010 RT, to a 2014...
    Yes: the new ones handle better!
    But there's NOTHING wrong at all with how the older bike will get through the turns!

Buy The Motorcycle.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The 2012 RT is considered the "best of" the 998's. A good ride. Had a 2010 and currently a 2011 as well as the "new" 2014 (the updated 1330 engine). They are all good. I like my 1330 better, but don't think the handling of the newer is black/white different.

The F3 version is a bit more "sportier," but for me, not a deal breaker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 2012 RT is considered the "best of" the 998's......
    Except by all the extremely happy 2013 RT V-twin Owners who either never had any heat issues to start with or those who have successfully had them sorted by the recall!

I heard from a very reliable source that 2013's got all the suspension design upgrades intended to make the 1330's a significant upgrade (albeit without the heavier shocks & springs in the 2013 ) & thereby the 2013's benefitted from the latest & greatest suspension & handling package, but then the engine wasn't ready in time so they kept on with the tried & true (& btw, IMO much livelier & free-er revving engine, despite the slightly lesser torque & the not quite so good fuel range) 998 motor & tupperware. And that gave us 2013 Ryders the Spyder that some (many even, especially outside the US where it seems more ryders like the bigger 'lazier' motors ) consider to be the absobloominlutely greatest Spyder ever released & certainly the most reliable & enjoyable Spyder I've ever ridden across our country Down Under!

But regardless of which particular Spyder you might prefer or even end up with, I think we can pretty much all agree that our Spyders are fantastic rydes & great machines - your particular preference should probably just come down to what exactly you prefer in your ryde: The 1330 RT's are the upright comfy tourers with a torquey motor that can tow all day; the 998 RT's are still comfy tourers but with a smaller but somewhat more lively motor for those who either don't tow as much or who enjoy the sprightly revvier response; while the F3's now come in a variety of guises for those who prefer the 'feet forwards cruiser stance' and yet still want to choose from a range that includes a Tourer, a boulevard cruiser, or a sporty Daytona, & with your own personal accessorisation, pretty much anything you might want in between!!

Pick one, & enjoy!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-02-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I opted for the new engine. Go to Shawn Smoak YouTube videos he's a top CanAm tech. and gives plenty of input on newer Spyderco from 2014 up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default the ride

have a 2011 RTS and it handles rides excellent.. Have drivin the 2015 F3 and it is a different beast.. They ALL handle like a Ferrari.. If you want just a bit of advice: go for the new model 2015 or later, more power 6 speeds and less maintanance..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'd like the 2014 or newer better because of the bigger engine. But I don't think the "handling" is much different, except for the greater torque.

Can you test ride in the dealer's lot?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

If your question is purely handling I would say the 2012 with Elka Shocks will be better than any stock 2017. I have a 2011 RSS and a 2016 F3T and I like the sound of the Vtwin in the RSS and it has Wilber shocks on it and it is far superior to the stock F3S as far as handling. The F3T will be getting Elkas soon and hopefully it will be an improvement. If the 2012 is a good deal you can improve the handling with shocks and/or a sway bar.....