Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Ltd SE 6 Road Trip Luggage Capacity

Looking to buy a RT Ltd, coming off a GW Road Smith conversion. Here's my problem, not as much luggage capacity as my Road Smith for two up on a week, or more, on the road. I don't want a trailer hitch, I'm thinking compression bags; maybe that will work and leave something behind if it comes to that. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Looking to buy a RT Ltd, coming off a GW Road Smith conversion. Here's my problem, not as much luggage capacity as my Road Smith for two up on a week, or more, on the road. I don't want a trailer hitch, I'm thinking compression bags; maybe that will work and leave something behind if it comes to that. Any suggestions?
    I've taken several 4-5 day trips with my wife and we've been pretty good about having what we need. By rolling clothes very tightly we save lot of room vs folding clothes.
    I have a friend that went 3 weeks and 4000 miles. They would actually send dirty clothes home via usps if they knew they wouldn't be washing them or they would want to buy some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I go for months on an ST-L. Take all synthetics and wash in the sink each night. (Don't expect her to do it all.) Dry by the AM.

Good Luck,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Default storage vs. storage

See for yourself & make up your own mind...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rolling clothes works great for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pack stuff that you can throw out when you're done wearing it...
    (And rolling it up DOES help make it take up less space!)
    Buy what you need along the way...
    And mail home that laundry!

Oh! That video...
    Of course the conversion unit can't fit as much Spyder luggage into it's trunk: it's specifically shaped for the Spyder's storage compartments
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn's hit the bulls-eye. IMO soft sided bags allow you to haul more stuff than hard sided ones. THINK LIGHT! A few Tide pods will go a long way toward helping reduce the amount of clothing you really NEED to carry.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good stuff so far, especially the you tube, thanks for all the favorable comments.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COMPRESSION BAGS ?????

I'm not exactly sure how these work ...... will you be able to re-use them once you are on the road ??? ....don't you need a strong vacuum to make them work ???? ........... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sure Mike, you can use them over and over, come in three sizes in any big sporting good stores, like Bass Pro. Stuff your goodies in the bags, they have straps you can pull up tight to reduce the contents. Over times the threads may become lose from use, but then, get a replacement. These are not water tight, I suppose you could spray the things and make them water resistant, but nowhere to secure the things on the outside of the RT unless you go for the hitch and rack system, I prefer not to do that.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default You can do it

My wife and I can easily go a week on the RT alone, but you will really need her cooperation to pack as little as possible. We wear our outer Ryding gear all the time, and then it's how many t-shirts and underwear do your need. Couple of pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans, undies and socks. Oh and the Bose Soundlink mobile speaker, iPad with 15000+ songs for evening entertainment. Personal items shaving kit etc, and we are good to go. When we go cross country this year, we are going to travel light and but t-shirts along the way.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Trunk Rack

Of course all the above suggestions are great and here is one more. A rack above the trunk is a simple install. Chrome or black ( Black is faster and "safety Chrome" looks good) I put the bulky items on it------ two rain suits and a half cover---- well under the weight limit.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default COMPRESSION BAGS ?????

Sure Mike, you can use them over and over, come in three sizes in any big sporting good stores, like Bass Pro. Stuff your goodies in the bags, they have straps you can pull up tight to reduce the contents. Over times the threads may become lose from use, but then, get a replacement. These are not water tight, I suppose you could spray the things and make them water resistant, but nowhere to secure the things on the outside of the RT unless you go for the hitch and rack system, I prefer not to do that.
    Thanks ....... OK these are different than the vacuum type ........ As far waterproofing just pack everything in thin plastic bags .....those are waterproof ......Best of luck on the trip ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how these work ...... will you be able to re-use them once you are on the road ??? ....don't you need a strong vacuum to make them work ???? ........... Mike
    The ones we have came with a small hand vaccuum pump that works very well. Wife used on a trip to HI where she had to have multiple changes of duds. The pump takes up some room that I would not want to sacrifice on the Spyder.

My biggest challenge for the Red Rocks rally will be safely carrying that expensive CPAP machine. Since I'll be traveling solo I just might strap a dry bag behind me.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-31-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back when I use to pack just enough to get me through th e trip soft bag liners worked fine. The set that comes with the limited models would be fine for some

Spyder Garage

Redneck vacuum style. Fyi any (unused)size trash bag , pack with clothing or other soft items, lay bag out on corner of bed , lay yourself on top of bag squeezing all air out you can (grab underside of bed & hug) & ziptie the bag tight before you get up. Can repeat If multiple bags need condensed into one.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

There is another type of "compressor" bag out there. Think of a heavy duty plastic bag with a one way air valve. Put your clothes in, zip the top, then roll it up toward the one way valve. Pushes out all of the air. To open, just open it like a zip lock bag.

https://www.rei.com/product/739705/e...ompression-set
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER COMPRESSION BAG

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    There is another type of "compressor" bag out there. Think of a heavy duty plastic bag with a one way air valve. Put your clothes in, zip the top, then roll it up toward the one way valve. Pushes out all of the air. To open, just open it like a zip lock bag.

https://www.rei.com/product/739705/e...ompression-set
    Not knocking this brand .... but, I did find Lewis N Clark ( same sizes ) on E-bay for 1/2 the cost and free shipping item # 151101932105 .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not knocking this brand .... but, I did find Lewis N Clark ( same sizes ) on E-bay for 1/2 the cost and free shipping item # 151101932105 .............. Mike
    I just used that listing because I knew I could find an example quickly at REI to share to describe what I was talking about. Once you know what to look for they are all over the Internet in a variety of sizes. My experience is that you probably want a couple more of the larger sizes rather than the smaller sizes. The smaller ones don't hold much.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Soft-sided luggage (Hoppnel, etc), a luggage rack, and packing only the essentials should suit you well.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    Soft-sided luggage (Hoppnel, etc), a luggage rack, and packing only the essentials should suit you well.
    I bought a set for my rt and love them. i am debating on getting a top rack to store the rain gear and half cover. that would free up one side saddle bag.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I bought a set for my rt and love them. i am debating on getting a top rack to store the rain gear and half cover. that would free up one side saddle bag.

Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow