Spyder Garage

Default Help! Wind Buffeting

In February I purchased a new 2015 F3-S.
    1. I installed the BRP windshield. The buffeting was so bad I did not have clear vision because of the wind rattling my head.
    2. I replaced the plastic shield with Gustafsson Plastic's 20" high X 30" wide shield. This helped tremendously but at highway speeds there is still considerable buffeting.

If I raise my hand above the shield I have to go above my head before the force of the wind in considerable. If I go to the side, there is considerable force as soon as I clear my head. The buffeting wind is clearly coming from the sides. It affects my wife in the passenger seat as well. It is so uncomfortable I would sell the bike before settling with it. At this point I really don't want to ride it anymore.

I have had bikes since 14 years old and have never had this issue. I don't want to keep throwing $$ at it as it adds up fast with Spyder parts. Any suggestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What if you tried adding a Laminar Lip to the top of your windscreen?

http://www.laminarlip.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The MRA-xscreen will take care of your problem.
    I've previously used a Laminar lip which worked okay... but the xcreen is adjustable and works like a dream.

I put an F4 28" on my Spyder F3 and really like it, but after you hit 65mph you need something more to keep from becoming a bobble head.

They have a clamp-on kit you can get which is what I did, or you can drill and mount the brackets permanently to your shield. The actual screen part can easily pop on and off.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x...ield-extension

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I have. 25" F4 Customs on my F3 and I am 6'2". No buffeting because the windshield is wide as well as tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolffspyder View Post
    I have. 25" F4 Customs on my F3 and I am 6'2". No buffeting because the windshield is wide as well as tall.

That's really strange as I'm only 5'8" and have the 28" F4 and get head buffeting over 65 mph. I suppose helmet aerodynamics can also play a role.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

another vote for the X-screen which is adjustable as well...As short as my windshield is on my RS when flipped up it makes a world of difference...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolffspyder View Post

MeToo

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I stopped in at my somewhat local spyder shop today and took a look at the new f-3 limited. all I can say is WOW! but to the point, it had a recurve windshield installed. I didn't know brp had such a thing. anywho, helmet dynamics can be a big source of buffeting also. case in point, I have been wearing a cheap Outlaw brand helmet (says U.S. NAVY on it),for over a year and always had buffeting issues at highway speeds. well today I wore my new Bell Pitboss helmet for about 4 hours and not once did I have issues with my head getting shook around. and I was rolling at 80 mph several times. food for thought.

Spyder Garage

Default HAVE YOU TRIED BAKER BUILT?

I have attached two links of demonstration videos of what our Baker Built Hand Wings and Leg Wings do for the F3. These really help cut down the wind when closed and direct the wind onto you when its hot out. If you have any questions you can email us at info@bakerbuilt.com or give us a call at 1-800-451-9464 these should help you tremendously. Not to mention prices are affordable for this fix and have multi functions.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

Now that you mention it, I was wondering the same thing, could helmet aerodynamics play a role into this buffeting. I am only 5'8" and I have the stock shield on my F3L. I can hear the wind, but it doesn't move my head around, and even on a couple of 300 mile freeway runs it didn't bother my head. I wear a very high grade Arai full face helmet that seems to do a good job of moving the air around and through the helmet so that Buffetting is not a problem. Now my hands are a whole other thing, they get cold fast. So just asking, could the helmet style and or quality play a roles here?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about the Madstad? I've heard good things about them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If your helmet is too big for your head it will rattle your eye sockets even with minor wind buffeting. If your helmet is moving more than your head, it's too big. Extremely common situation.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Vented windshield

I have vents on both my Spyder and Valkyrie windshields. No buffeting when the vents are open.

Buffeting causes::::::::::::: Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklab1059 View Post
    In February I purchased a new 2015 F3-S.
    1. I installed the BRP windshield. The buffeting was so bad I did not have clear vision because of the wind rattling my head.
    2. I replaced the plastic shield with Gustafsson Plastic's 20" high X 30" wide shield. This helped tremendously but at highway speeds there is still considerable buffeting.

If I raise my hand above the shield I have to go above my head before the force of the wind in considerable. If I go to the side, there is considerable force as soon as I clear my head. The buffeting wind is clearly coming from the sides. It affects my wife in the passenger seat as well. It is so uncomfortable I would sell the bike before settling with it. At this point I really don't want to ride it anymore.

I have had bikes since 14 years old and have never had this issue. I don't want to keep throwing $$ at it as it adds up fast with Spyder parts. Any suggestions?
    I have BlueRidge Windshield and wear a full face helmet. You are still going to get some buffeting. Might want to read up in this thread. It addresses that issue.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ith-turbulence

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If your helmet is too big for your head it will rattle your eye sockets even with minor wind buffeting. If your helmet is moving more than your head, it's too big. Extremely common situation.
    If it's even a bit loose: your brain will act like a ball bearing in a soup can!
    Try adding a "Doo-Rag", as a short term solution...

...But getting a properly sized helmet should be the goal!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    That's really strange as I'm only 5'8" and have the 28" F4 and get head buffeting over 65 mph. I suppose helmet aerodynamics can also play a role.
    Wolffspyder doesn't say which model F3 he has, Firefly. If he has an F3-L, it's a different screen to yours, and the maximum height is the 25". The 25" stopped buffeting for me on my F3-L and I am 6'7". The top of the screen is about level with the bridge of my nose. I bought a Madstad at their maximum height, but it didn't work for me as it is not as wide across the top.

Attached is a photo of the Madstad overlaid on the F4. The F4 is wider at the top, and has the cutouts at the bottom.

Pete
    IMG_0465.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of side wind' Have the same on my rs

f4 windshield and side wings from baker will solve your problem

Spyder Garage

Default AIR TURD

HELLO, Lookup a product called sang its a windshield edging that has been around for quite some time and works great. I installed it on my shield .Its 11.00 dollars a ft .I own a rt and I have a stock height shield . I am 6ft 6inches tall and I can leave the shield in the down position and I don't get much buffeting at all..Try it and I am sure you will be pleased.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    HELLO, Lookup a product called sang its a windshield edging that has been around for quite some time and works great. I installed it on my shield .Its 11.00 dollars a ft .I own a rt and I have a stock height shield . I am 6ft 6inches tall and I can leave the shield in the down position and I don't get much buffeting at all..Try it and I am sure you will be pleased.
    got a picture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    got a picture
    It's actually Saeng......try this..
    https://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red