Spyder Garage

Default Kuryakyn ISO Grip & Lidlox

I want to add the Kuryakyn ISO Grip with Throttle Boss and Lidlox to my '15 RT. I ordered the parts from Value Accessories. After I ordered I read this on the Kuryakyn site (see yellow highlighted)...
    image.jpg

So, my question is does anyone have this setup with all 3 components (Grip - the GL1800 ISO Grip (6183), Contoured Throttle Boss (6310) and Locks (6247)? If you do, did you have to use these smooth accent rings?

I asked Value Accessories but they didn't know.

Thanks...
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm mystified. Why do you want to use the Throttle Boss? Cruise control on the RT works super.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

on my 2013 RT we did not use the Lidlox but here is a pic with everything else you were asking. have fun shaving down the grips and the shift lever. a dremel tool is your friend.

IMG_4282.jpg IMG_4283.jpg

Spyder Garage

I added the grips on my 2014. What they don't tell ya is that you have to save the OEM grips down from the riser they are to flat. That was not easy. The shift leaver we cut very slowly till it fit and could shift.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I am aware I need to trim the rubber on the grip and either shave the shift lever or cut the grip, not sure which approach I will take yet, leaning toward cutting grip.

Idaho: I don't know if I will like them, but everyone I've talked to loves them, even my buddy on a wing with cruise control - see says he actually hardly even uses the cruise with them. I'm willing to invest the < $20 to try it, if I don't like it I can always take it off.

Anyone have all 3 components? I may just have to order the rings to have them and figure it out.
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you have to use the smooth rings - I believe it has to do with the outer diameter of the rings.

If you haven't installed your grips yet you might want to look at this post. The ends of the Kuryakyn grips are weak because there is nothing underneath them. A dealer broke my bike when they were pushing my because they pushed by the ends of the grips, and the aluminum metal broke.

I installed a new set and used a thinwall plumbing pipe underneath them. It adds strength to the ends of the grips and transfers heat from the original grips faster.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...58#post1026458
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I can't add anything useful to this conversation: at least you're asking these questions before you find yourself in too deep...

Whenever you start "mixing and matching" your farkles: keep this in mind:

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Installation tips......

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I want to add the Kuryakyn ISO Grip with Throttle Boss and Lidlox to my '15 RT. I ordered the parts from Value Accessories. After I ordered I read this on the Kuryakyn site (see yellow highlighted)...
    image.jpg

So, my question is does anyone have this setup with all 3 components (Grip - the GL1800 ISO Grip (6183), Contoured Throttle Boss (6310) and Locks (6247)? If you do, did you have to use these smooth accent rings?

I asked Value Accessories but they didn't know.

Thanks...
    For filling the end of the grip, I just used 2 beer twist off cap and some electric tape wrapped aroung it..... cheap, easy and readily available. Also, search this site, the is a tip on how to cut the Kuryakyn on the length in order to facilitate the installation. Worked very well for me. You will just have to "torque" the rubber to fit it in the casting cover.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

You have to use the Kuryakan helmet locks if you use their grips.
    The lidox helmet locks use the center bolt like the stock grip end caps do. The Kuryakan grips do not have that. They have 3 screws to hold THEIR locks on.

Yes you can use the throttle boss WITH the Kuryakan locks. They are made to all work together.

Also this video shows an easier way to deal with the rubber.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks again guys. I did see pretty much all of the posts and videos before I decided to do this.

Finless: I like your idea and your video is what first inspired me. All the parts are Kuryakyn, the image was from the Kuryakyn website - apparently they brand theirs as Lidlox as well.

OverHillAndDale: It looks like you have all the components but I didn't see mention of the ring in your post so wasn't sure. I didn't know how I wanted to fill the ends although I was leaning toward a piece of cut PVC but I really do like your idea. My only concern is the extra thickness the full length of the grip, if that will make it near impossible to squeeze the grips on.

A few questions for you...

1. Using the ring and throttle boss with the Lidlox, did you have to get the long screws or did you use the standard screws?
    2. Is the tube you used a typical brass drain tube like THIS?

And I'm assuming all of you that did this like them and have no regrets and would do it again? Finless - I know you said you may have just done the Lidlox if they were available?

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Thanks again guys. I did see pretty much all of the posts and videos before I decided to do this.

Finless: I like your idea and your video is what first inspired me. All the parts are Kuryakyn, the image was from the Kuryakyn website - apparently they brand theirs as Lidlox as well.

OverHillAndDale: It looks like you have all the components but I didn't see mention of the ring in your post so wasn't sure. I didn't know how I wanted to fill the ends although I was leaning toward a piece of cut PVC but I really do like your idea. My only concern is the extra thickness the full length of the grip, if that will make it near impossible to squeeze the grips on.

A few questions for you...

1. Using the ring and throttle boss with the Lidlox, did you have to get the long screws or did you use the standard screws?
    2. Is the tube you used a typical brass drain tube like THIS?

And I'm assuming all of you that did this like them and have no regrets and would do it again? Finless - I know you said you may have just done the Lidlox if they were available?
    Steve, are you aware there are helmet locks under the seat already from oem?

Spyder Garage

I have big hands so because of that I like them. BUT they are hard. Before putting them on I was using Grip Buddies.
    Also it takes some time for the grips to heat up AND because they are long and metal, when your running down the highway at 70, the wind tends to suck the heat out from the ends. I solved that by putting inner tube over the ends when I know I am going to be on the highway and it will be cold.

The main reason I got them was for the helmet locks. Lidox at that time did not make locks for the stock grips.

If I had to do it over, sorry to say I would go with Grip Buddies and the lidox locks.

Bob

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Steve, are you aware there are helmet locks under the seat already from oem?
    Yes, thanks, but basically they suck. Can't use as is, would need some sort of extender, helmet sits against tupperware and better chance of theft. Don't use often, I use right saddlebag when alone but when 2 up or if loaded with luggage they will be handy.

OLD/TRADED

Spyder Garage

Ok, thanks Bob. I have the foam on there now, think the Tricled ones. They are ok, but they wear out and I could use a little more thickness. Not too concerned about the heat in South Fla, may just be an issue when I go to NC and such but still not a big deal for the few days a year. But that's why I am leaning toward trimming the grip, in case I hate them I can always take off and go back to foam w/o the paddle being cut. Yea, the grip ends would still be cut but foam can cover I guess. But I would hope to keep them on.

OLD/TRADED