Spyder Garage

Default Starting problems on RT

I had been riding all week, turn off RT sat. night would not start next day. Checked the forum for ideas (thanks everyone). 1st thing I did was check battery hookup and put battery on charger. The batter did not seem to take a charge took it to a auto parts store, battery check out OK. Check all fuses and relays all good. Cleaned battery post. It is starting now. Well see what happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see from your profile that you've got a 2016 RT...
    (It's helpful if that information is listed in your "Signature line..."
    Checking battery terminal tightness should always be the first step, and I hope that it has solved your difficulties.
    If iut doesn't: let us know, and we'll help you dig deeper...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Sometimes it is as simple as the kill switch, being in gear and not stepping on the brake or loose conections. Glad you have her going again but know you would like to know what it was. If....it happens again record you step in your mind to see what fixed it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROPER CHARGING FROM DEALER

Quote Originally Posted by vblock View Post
    I had been riding all week, turn off RT sat. night would not start next day. Checked the forum for ideas (thanks everyone). 1st thing I did was check battery hookup and put battery on charger. The batter did not seem to take a charge took it to a auto parts store, battery check out OK. Check all fuses and relays all good. Cleaned battery post. It is starting now. Well see what happen.
    When I bought my Spyder ( new ) the dealer did not properly charge it ...... I have had issue with it from day one ........ just a thought .......... also put STAR washers on the terminals to keep them from getting loose ....... Mike

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery terminals....

Just as a heads up for all new owners. I'm getting ready to install a 2 horn system on my 2016 RT-S. I took the battery cover off & found that the bolts holding the cables on the battery weren't very tight. Anyone getting a new spyder should check their battery connection. I was very surprised by the way they were.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

First check to do...

Is your KILL SWITCH on ?
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lagaffe View Post
    First check to do...

Is your KILL SWITCH on ?
    This is always a good thing to check... before you even begin to try and start the bike!

You'd be surprised at how many folks think that it's a cute joke to play on a biker: hit the kill-switch, and let them figure out what happened!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is always a good thing to check... before you even begin to try and start the bike!

You'd be surprised at how many folks think that it's a cute joke to play on a biker: hit the kill-switch, and let them figure out what happened!

When I took the PA motorcycle safety class they told us to get used to using the kill switch any time you are shutting down the bike. That way it becomes automatic in an emergency situation.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    When I took the PA motorcycle safety class they told us to get used to using the kill switch any time you are shutting down the bike. That way it becomes automatic in an emergency situation.
    Interesting, last thing I would consider is killing the engine in an emergency unlessit was on fire.

Once the engine is shut down, you have no way out to move if needed.

I am not sure, but engine off may shutdown power steering also.

The owners manual does mention to learn the effects of shutting down the engine while moving.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I agree that checking the kill switch should be the first thing to check if it doesn't start. For some reason on my Spyder I find that occasionally I accidentally hit the kill switch; I suppose when mounting or dismounting. Now with respect to someone playing a joke by hitting the kill switch: are you kidding??? Where I come from you don't touch another persons bike ever; unless invited to do so! If I were to play that joke I would expect to get my butt kicked!!! We are very friendly people out west but we don't screw with another persons ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk