Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default High RPM or 2 cylinder vs 3 cylinder

Hi guys,
    I have a 2012 Spyder with the 2 cylinder engine. Does the high rpm bother anyone else or is it just me? I do a lot of in city driving and rural roads so if I run at the recommended rpm to prevent lugging the thing is always kind of screaming. I have been considering buying a newer Spyder with the 1300 engine. \My question is, is the rpm much lower at lower speeds or is it really noticeable?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just you....Lol.
    It's a bike engine, and as such runs quicker. It's not a tractor.
    What rpms are you running around town?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default 2012

have the 2012 s-m 5 { manual clutch } I usually see 4,ooo a little above , { when I am looking at it that is } that is when I am shifting , now at cruse speed I think higher 4,ooo `s I will look again today , but I do not really hear a scream , of the engine it is a higher tone than that of my 2 wheeler ... do you have the automatic ?

Spyder Garage

Default Just me!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    It's just you....Lol.
    It's a bike engine, and as such runs quicker. It's not a tractor.
    What rpms are you running around town?

You are right, I think that it is just me and that I need to get used to it. I was a Goldwing rider for many years and was used to that sound. I run at 4000 to 5000 in town. Just seems kind of high to me. Earplugs might help! Thanks for the comment!

Spyder Garage

Default Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    have the 2012 s-m 5 { manual clutch } I usually see 4,ooo a little above , { when I am looking at it that is } that is when I am shifting , now at cruse speed I think higher 4,ooo `s I will look again today , but I do not really hear a scream , of the engine it is a higher tone than that of my 2 wheeler ... do you have the automatic ?
    I do have the automatic. Is there a big difference between the 2 cylinder engine and the 3 cylinder? I haven't ridden a 3 yet so will try on on for size as soon as it warms up. I put on 70 miles this spring but it doesn't want to warm up very fast here in Wisconsin. Thanks for the reply.

Spyder Garage

Arrow Here's your answer

Much cheaper than buying a new Spyder.

images.jpeg

And, I'm not being a wise guy.

They will, silence your complaint.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default High RPM

Here is a nickels worth of opinion!!

ACQUIRE AND USE EAR PLUGS!!! The downside of not using ear plugs
    is that you will lose your hearing sooner or later!! Believe me that it is not
    a fun thing as your wife or girlfriend will tell you. I do speak from experience.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default X-COUNTRY

i've done cross-country rides on both my RS with the V-twin 990, and my F3 with the 3 cyl. 1330, and i'm here to tell you that the 1330 is far more enjoyable than the 990... at 60 mph and above, the 990 engine SCREAMS... and when you're out on the road for 4- 5 weeks, it gets to you.... or at least, it got to me...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another plus, is the new clutch engagement system that comes with the 6-speed.
    You won't have to worry about burning any clutch plates!
    Out on the highway: you'll be running at least 1,000 rpm lower.
    70mph comes up at less than 4,000 rpm.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbruehl View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a 2012 Spyder with the 2 cylinder engine. Does the high rpm bother anyone else or is it just me? I do a lot of in city driving and rural roads so if I run at the recommended rpm to prevent lugging the thing is always kind of screaming. I have been considering buying a newer Spyder with the 1300 engine. \My question is, is the rpm much lower at lower speeds or is it really noticeable?
    There is a Volume UP button on the left just push it till the engine noise goes away. Problem solved!
    I too just came form a Wing and it took a while to get used to it but I am getting there, It the nature of the beast.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default Soon for me

Hi guys,
    I really enjoy my 2008 GS , I added the Yoshimura pipe which seems to improve power especially at lower rpm but is a little louder. Yes these engines need to run faster than a lot of bikes I've had , but I drive it how the engine works the best ( like anything I've driven)
    That being said ... Seeing the good reviews of the triple 1330 on here it only makes sense ( to me) that my next Spyder will have that set up , not sure whether F3 or RT , Manuel or auto. ( I've driven the semi auto and not sold yet) . Like some have mentioned , out on the highway I feel the Twin could use another gear almost .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default your delimma

Hi guys,
    I hear you friend ...... I'm now 70 , and have never purchased a new car or truck for me ...... however ( after owning two V-twin spyders - used ) I bought a NEW 1330 RT after one test drive at Spyderfest 2014 and have not regretted it ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great comments guys! I guess that I will just have to go and ride a new machine and see for myself if there is much difference.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT and a 2014 RT. So I have one of each engine in the stable.

The noise difference is noticeable, but not so bad I have to dump the 2011 for a three cylinder.

There are advantages to each flavor. If you have not tried a three cylinder. The answer is simple. Go take a test drive and see what the differences are for you.

And, if to loud for you, the earplugs do work and will save you about $15K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi kbruehl,

Re: Does the high rpm bother anyone else or is it just me?

Three years ago I bought my '08 GS/SE-5. I too could not get used to the high RPM issue; at first.

I had been lurking this forum for a few months & it finally sunk in to keep her up high. I am now used to it & really no longer think about it.

In 1961, while in the Air Force, I got transferred from Edwards AFB to RAF Sculthorpe. At Edwards I was in a room by myself. At Sculthorpe I was in a open bay barracks with 9 other guys. Talk about noise all thru the nite. I finally got used to it & then slept like the proverbial baby. You too can get used to the high RPM's.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the club.... the new eng. is much better and runs at lower RPM

Hi guys,

Spyder Garage

Default Border Rider

I started with a 2011 RT, loved the low end torque and the sound. Rode a 2014 Rt, sounded like a sewing machine idling and an
    outboard when getting on it. I have since bought a 2016 RT and like it but it does't sound like a bike. Miss the roar when I cranked
    on that 998.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Acceptable RPM levels is a personal preference. Lower isn't always better....Just different. 4-5k is not screaming...Not even close. Remember that the v990 twin is the F1 of the Spyder lineup and designed to run vs the 1330 that is more in tune with a minivan....😂😂

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember that the v990 twin is the F1 of the Spyder lineup and designed to run vs the 1330 that is more in tune with a minivan....����

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figured you'd like that one! 😁

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After riding a 2014 Road King I made the switch to a new 2016 RT +. My wife had a 2013 RT+ and we decided it was time for a new ride. The difference between the 2 Spyders is very noticeable and after 500 miles I am glad I made the change. It has more power and less noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figured you'd like that one! 😁
    That was cute!

...But having ridden both versions of the 998, and then the 1330: there's no doubt which one is designed as an engine for a touring machine... which is exactly what I was looking for!

Minivan... Belly Laugh.gif

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends on your perspective

If you're coming to a Spyder from Harley V twins, the 990's sweet spot around 5000rpm might seem a bit frantic. OTOH, if you're coming from sport bikes, like me, 5000rpm seems like it's just idling along.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default todays ride continued

I did go for that ride ,like I mentioned in the reply above , and watched the r-p-m`s ,just riding around the back roads , ---30 to 45 miles per hour , r-p-m were at 3000 too 3800 thousand mark , up and down hills , did not rump on it , just let her do her thing , with 2 riders ... went on a ride up a steep incline , had too hit the 1st gear , went too 3800 4000 reves , a little strain with the 2 bodies and steep climb , ----> now on the way down , the down grade , 1st gear high r-p-m`s hit the 4500 too 4800 thousand she did let me know , but that was the only time she hit that high of a reve , rolling down the highway , at 55 m.p.h. 3500 too 3700 that was about the extent of watching both at the same time ...

Spyder Garage

Default It's not you....

Well it is but your not alone. One of the main problems with the big V-twin is it was expected to be as most a low rpm engine. We have had a few that just could not handle a high rpm twin. I love it and would not change to the 1330 triple. I run over 35% of the time between 5 and 8,000 rpms (way over the speed limit when crusing) and would not have it any other way. If you can not get used to it or enjoy it the 1330 is the way to go. It is low rpm torque is there and it has an extra gear to help out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black