Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Well, I'm Selling My Spyder

3000.00 miles on it and I have nothing but trouble with it. From DESS to Hard Starting, Belt Runout, and a lot of little things hear and there. BRP
    warrenty is usless. They don't want to back anything up. Really liked the F3, but it's in the shop more then I ride it. Looks like I am going back to
    Harley Davidson. Well, you live and learn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're sorry to see you go...
    Please stop by with some pictures of your next bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sg2848775 View Post
    3000.00 miles on it and I have nothing but trouble with it. From DESS to Hard Starting, Belt Runout, and a lot of little things hear and there. BRP
    warrenty is usless. They don't want to back anything up. Really liked the F3, but it's in the shop more then I ride it. Looks like I am going back to
    These are the posts that scare me from getting Spyder, been looking since Dec and finally finally enrolled in a motorcycle class so that I can actually test drive one!
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

On the flip side: 2013 STL 12000 miles, no issues at all. Ride year around (unless it snows) starts every time, runs good (knock on wood?) never been in the shop for anything but basic maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    These are the posts that scare me from getting Spyder, been looking since Dec and finally finally enrolled in a motorcycle class so that I can actually test drive one!
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When is your class? We'd love to hear what you think of it!

And of course: the shopping process too!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER SALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bummer ........ I feel your pain .......... But I would bet serious money, it's NOT the Spyder that's the problem ......... it's your DEALER ............ I've owned 3 Spyders since 09 and I know they aren't perfect. I'm not a mechanic, but I can do most maintenance. I've only been to Dealers for 6 things and it was almost all warranty work. What I didn't know or couldn't figure out - I could get help HERE from some INCREDIBLY helpful people, of course you have to know who has knowledge and who is giving SWAG ....... For some reason Spyders and Calif. Dealers aren't a good mix from what's been posted on this site ............. Sorry you had a bad experience , best of luck with whatever you ride - stay safe ............ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The issue is with your dealer; not the bike.

Spyder Garage

In reading the tips for buyers having a good dealer is almost the first thing on the list and as a prospective buyer it is by far the most difficult to guage. ALL, and I mean ALL salesmen that I have met in the process tout their service departments to be the best, mostly because when buying a new Spyder, everbody has the exact same thing at pretty close to the same price.

The problem that I have is that I am judging a dealers service department based upon the sales side of the building and a few smattering of reviews that I come across on the internet and really don't feel like I get a good sampling of what I consider the most important half of the building. I can deal with an idiot salesman because once its bought, he's gone from my life, but its the service side that will either make or break my Can-am Spyder experience in the long haul.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

15000 on my 13sts no issues....3000 on the f3 same no issues

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch

That's a big hit. You're not the first to throw in the towel and won't be the last. Is it your dealer? Most likely plays a major role in it, but, BRP shares responsibility there too. Speaking strictly from my experience, Spyders may be fine for riding back and forth to the coffee shop,
    but they're hardly a dependable tourer. Dependable, is the key word here.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Could not agree more with analysis

In reading the tips for buyers having a good dealer is almost the first thing on the list and as a prospective buyer it is by far the most difficult to guage. ALL, and I mean ALL salesmen that I have met in the process tout their service departments to be the best, mostly because when buying a new Spyder, everbody has the exact same thing at pretty close to the same price.

The problem that I have is that I am judging a dealers service department based upon the sales side of the building and a few smattering of reviews that I come across on the internet and really don't feel like I get a good sampling of what I consider the most important half of the building. I can deal with an idiot salesman because once its bought, he's gone from my life, but its the service side that will either make or break my Can-am Spyder experience in the long haul.
    I agree 100% with what you have said here, maybe it would be good for BRP to throw some time into ensuring that their dealers are employing an adequately trained tech who is dedicated to work only on the spyder as part of their becoming a Can Am Spyder dealer .... this will surely go a long way in maintaining good customer relations, and who knows, when they send out emails to existing owners encouraging them to trade and upgrade, maybe they could get some takers.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Bummer.. but I must agree with others that your problems are most likely your dealer.. not the bike itself. I too have had 3 Spyders since 2008. The first one had the DPS issues that most of us had to have replaced via recall. Other than that I only dealt with basic wear items and maintenance which I did myself. I put close to 80,000 miles on it before an accident totaled it.

My 2012 RT was a pretty flawless machine for 24,000 miles. Although I did have a mystery code I couldn't seem to fix. Ended up being the O2 sensors.. and I wasn't being patient enough for the codes to clear. When you put new O2 sensors in you need to get out and ride it for the code to clear. Oh.. I did burn a clutch out at Spyderfest on it... and BRP had the Rotax guys replace it.... no charge.. no paperwork... just sent me on my way.

My 2015 F3 has had zero issue in 3,000 miles.

I'm fortunate that I do have a great tech at my local dealer, but I've rarely used him.

Fully understand your frustrations. Have you tried a different dealer?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

And I would ride mine anywhere I bought mine used with 8500 mi on it in 2015. It now has 26,800 and climbing. I will ride the Colorado Rockies in July for 5 days and then Spyders in the Red Rocks in St.George UT.in September,plus whatever day tips I can get in,probably around 10,000 miles this year,including riding to work most days. Not a coffee shop bike to me but an all day rider. No major troubles.

I know your pain,I once had a car like that. I had to file a flight plan with AAA so they would know where to come and get me. I thought I had a good dealer but in the end who knows? Lemon or bad dealer or bad car. I sold it and moved on. Have you tried more then one dealer service department? Sorry to see you be disappointed in what has to have been a major purchase.

When you get the Harley come back with pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Same old story

I have been around here a bit, don't post much but am sorry to say I am really tired of the "it is the dealer and not the bike". If the bike were reliable, the dealer would not matter. Just for info... I have had 3 RT's. 2011 (13000 miles in a year) tons of problems (excellent dealer) but as the op stated BRP did not want to cover problems... like fused wire bundle... said it was my fault...Traded that on a 2012 which had lots of minor things wrong but all were fixed under warranty (24000 in 18 months). Finally 2014 24000 on it as well and only the DESS problem (fixed with very good service and attention from BRP). But if you read this... all the bikes had problems. There will probably be the usual... if it is mechanical it will have problems and such... but to always blame the dealer is not looking at the big picture..... IMHO.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe it or not: you can actually learn a lot about the shop, by looking around in the Service Area a little bit...
    If the Technicians have graduated from a BRP course: there'll be some paperwork hanging on the walls, for everyone to see...
    If not: ask the folks at the Service Desk about the amount of training that the Techs have: They'll know the answers.

Salesman: they don't know squat about service...

MelloYelloSpyder

Selling mine as well. Mine wasn't so much a problem with the bike although it has had it's share. Mine is more I just don't enjoy riding it. Bought as a demo bike and in two years I put 6700 miles on it. That is a very low number for me as I usually put at least that on in a season of riding if not more. However I have had the clutch solenoid replaced twice, brake light switch replaced, gear position sensor replaced, and then the whole right side handlebar switch housing. And I almost forgot there was the time I thought I heard something clanking around on the front end and the fenders would rock back and forth, come to find out the stabilizer bars were not torqued down properly. All within a year. So it is sitting in the garage on a tender with the fuel stabilized collecting dust until it is sold. I have since bought a 05 Harley Road King custom that I got for a good deal from my local HD dealer. They have done nothing but treat me right since I bought it and have called and sent post cards to thank us for the purchase. I made complaints to BRP on numerous occasions about the Spyder and never got a decent response.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bummer ........ I feel your pain .......... But I would bet serious money, it's NOT the Spyder that's the problem ......... it's your DEALER ............ I've owned 3 Spyders since 09 and I know they aren't perfect. I'm not a mechanic, but I can do most maintenance. I've only been to Dealers for 6 things and it was almost all warranty work. What I didn't know or couldn't figure out - I could get help HERE from some INCREDIBLY helpful people, of course you have to know who has knowledge and who is giving SWAG ....... For some reason Spyders and Calif. Dealers aren't a good mix from what's been posted on this site ............. Sorry you had a bad experience , best of luck with whatever you ride - stay safe ............ Mike
    Mike and Bob. A mechanically challenged dealer can make the difference between a good and a bad . Guess I have been pretty lucky. (see my signature below!). Not a fun thing when the is not dependable or always in the shop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Selling mine as well.
    Have you listed it in the "4-Sale" Area yet?

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Versus BRP

Just a quick note here. The Dealer has been pretty good to me. I have known them for some time, and having them work on other bikes
    i own. You sort of build a relationship with them as time goes on.. It's BRP who not only drags there feet when it comes to warrenty work.
    But Like The DESS problem. they just didn't want to replace it. And they had to twice. IMHO...BRP will try very hard not to honor there
    warrenty's , and hope the consumer will pay for repairs. 3000 miles is not a lot. And as well as I take care of my vehicles, I feel it was BRP,
    and not the dealer at fault. Buyer Beware.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    On the flip side: 2013 STL 12000 miles, no issues at all. Ride year around (unless it snows) starts every time, runs good (knock on wood?) never been in the shop for anything but basic maintenance.
    Same here but @33k miles & I have had a thermostat seal , hose leak & broken sway bar link covered by warranty, got a brake sensor failure & my heated grips about to be covered by the extended BEST warranty (confirmed & ordered just not on bike yet) Sux when it happens & the wait, I get it back soon enough & usually plan a "recovery trip" right after (Just an overnight somewhere far from town)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Just a quick note here. The Dealer has been pretty good to me. I have known them for some time, and having them work on other bikes
    i own. You sort of build a relationship with them as time goes on.. It's BRP who not only drags there feet when it comes to warrenty work.
    But Like The DESS problem. they just didn't want to replace it. And they had to twice. IMHO...BRP will try very hard not to honor there
    warrenty's , and hope the consumer will pay for repairs. 3000 miles is not a lot. And as well as I take care of my vehicles, I feel it was BRP,
    So you're dealer works on other bikes?
    That's not a good sign in my book.. it means they'll put guys on it that would rather work on whatever other brands they sell. When you go to a dedicated Spyder dealer the techs work on them all day and will know them better. You might feel they're nice and a great dealer.. but in the end they haven't fixed your problems.

Just my .02.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Counterpoint accepted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honestly, you shouldn't worry about it. If you go to his profile, than there is not much of what he posted. He didn't actually utilize the forums like me. I am not sure if he ask questions regarding his Spyder, but all he did was that he just want to make an announcement of he is tired, and he is planning to go back to his Harley Davidson. For my understanding as an indirect message that Harley Davidson is better than a Spyder. Surprisingly, I heard Harley have more issues than a Spyder and that is coming from individuals who actually had Harley Davidson within this forum and friends who used to have these bikes.

In conclusion, if you are interested in getting a Spyder than you should just go for it. Life will always have obstacles, don't let anyone stir your decisions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Mike and Bob. A mechanically challenged dealer can make the difference between a good and a bad . Guess I have been pretty lucky. (see my signature below!). Not a fun thing when the is not dependable or always in the shop.

Not it just that but how well you do your own PM (preventive maintenance) as well not just checking the fluids either, the service intervals has list of things to be inspected & adjusted or lubed & if missed It will end up costing you more every time.
    (Can be late but not ignored)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Not it just that but how well you do your own PM (preventive maintenance) as well not just checking the fluids either, the service intervals has list of things to be inspected & adjusted or lubed & if missed It will end up costing you more every time.
    (Can be late but not ignored)
    As well as pre-ride checks, all my have been dealer serviced according to required maintenance schedule. That even includes two valve checks on two different (2008 and 2010) at 14K on the 08 and 28K on the 2010). I am done with valve checks on the 998's until at least 50K now. Have to agree, ride and forget is NOT an option here.

2020 F3L , Magma Red