Spyder Garage

Default Adjustment of air bag on rear shock for 2014 RTS SE6

It seems you can adjust the shock setting on the fly. However, when you start up you need engine running, foot on break, emergency break off, and in gear other than “N”. The pump comes on and sets up to the setting you have it on. It seems to me that the amount of air should remain in the air bag and not have to be filled up each time you start up. After the bike sets for awhile, it has “0” air pressure. I still don’t understand. It may be working, but I think the bag has a hole and it leaks down and doesn’t hold the air. ??? I can’t tell that the stiffer settings change anything as I ride.

Would someone enlighten me please. I've been to the dealer and was told it was working just as it should, but I am not convinced yet.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    It seems you can adjust the shock setting on the fly. However, when you start up you need engine running, foot on break, emergency break off, and in gear other than “N”. The pump comes on and sets up to the setting you have it on. It seems to me that the amount of air should remain in the air bag and not have to be filled up each time you start up. After the bike sets for awhile, it has “0” air pressure. I still don’t understand. It may be working, but I think the bag has a hole and it leaks down and doesn’t hold the air. ??? I can’t tell that the stiffer settings change anything as I ride.

Would someone enlighten me please. I've been to the dealer and was told it was working just as it should, but I am not convinced yet.

Stan

It's supposed to keep air pressure in it when parked. I'm assuming you are checking the air at the schrader valve under the seat? If you are & you have 0 pressure then you have a leak.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree. They told me it was just a bad compressor, then when that one failed in a short time I pulled the airbag and found the leak in the bottom from a small sharp rock. We put an aftermarket Viair 98C compressor and injected 4 oz of green slime into the bag and we are still ryding it over a year later. Here is a link with several pertinent videos in it:
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/install

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the pressure is dropping back to zero while the bike is parked: it clearly isn't performing as it should... take it back to the dealer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

On the units like this with the compressor, is there any reason to adjust the pressure at the Schaefer valve or does the compressor adjust the pressure to the required amount automatically. The manual is confusing but I realize it has to also cover the rt model that doesn't have the compressor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope... YOu can forget that the valve exists, when you've got an ACS equipped bike.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Can the Shock Pressure be changed when moving?

I no longer have my '14 RT, but it seemed to me that the shock could be adjusted up/down while on the move. Is this true or not?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag

Thanks for the comments. I am checking air pressure at the schrader valve. I have even put air in the bag and it leaks out. I guess I'll go back to the dealer one more time.

Stan

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments. I am checking air pressure at the schrader valve. I have even put air in the bag and it leaks out. I guess I'll go back to the dealer one more time.

Stan
    I have a new 2016 that is experiencing the same symptoms. I would be interested to hear what your dealer discovers if the they take the time to properly research your problem.

Terry
    2016 RT Limited Pearl White
    2012 RT-S (Traded)
    RT 622 Trailer (Black)

Spyder Garage

Default Common problem...

It a common problem with these bikes. Mine wore a hole in it too. If you pump it up tight and a stone happens to sit on the bottom ledge on which the airbag sits and then you let some air out, it forms a roll (think fat roll over your belt) which holds the stone in place until it wears a hole through the thing air bag. Of course as some on here have complained about, it could be leaking air hose/pipe and fitting connections. It could also be the inferior check valve. OH...ALL of the aforementioned will quickly destroy the inferior stock air pump. Welcome to the world of the inferior 2014 Spyder RT-S! I've taken in "impromptu, non-scientific survey in this forum and the previous statement comes from the results.

If you detect a "hint" of "sour grapes" in my post.... YOU'RE DAMNED RIGHT! People should not have to put this much money and work into a machine so soon after they purchase it and with so little riding time. I could go on (and on and on) but.... don't get me started...
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Default PS-

I think it is Doc Humphreys who manufactures a device that sits between the airbag and metal ledge to keep stones out from under the bag. Supposed to be raining here for the next week or two so, I'm gonna be replacing my bag, installing Doc's device as well as a new compressor and every other inferior part Can Am stuck in my machine. Wish me luck..... I'm going in.....
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly: one of the vendors in here sells a guard, that might help prevent this from happening...

Spyderpops?
    Doc Humphreys?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that we stepped all over each other with our answers!

Spyder Garage

Default air bag

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I no longer have my '14 RT, but it seemed to me that the shock could be adjusted up/down while on the move. Is this true or not?

Ulflyer above asked if the shock could be adjusted on the move. It seems you should. What say ye?

Stan

Spyder Garage

I believe that the base model RT's didn't have ACS with the compressor & adjust on the fly, but certainly my RT Ltd HAS & does allow you to adjust the airbag pressure on the fly!! When it's working/not leaking that is; but like others have mentioned above, the airbag is prone to developing punctures & once it starts leaking all the time, the compressor starts pumping continuously & consequently burns out fairly quickly & often!!

That said, I don't believe that 'more air' or higher pressure in the airbag makes the suspension any 'stiffer' per se, what it does is more along the lines of varying the static ride height!! The springs & shock aren't adjusted in any way, while the ACS simply allows the rider to adjust the ride height via changing the Hi-Lo pressure in the airbag!

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I agree. They told me it was just a bad compressor, then when that one failed in a short time I pulled the airbag and found the leak in the bottom from a small sharp rock. We put an aftermarket Viair 98C compressor and injected 4 oz of green slime into the bag and we are still ryding it over a year later. Here is a link with several pertinent videos in it:
    Putting green slime in the bag sounds like a good prevention tip. Thanks Doc!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

anyone other than doc done this? i have the rock guard installed.
    sounds like a good preemptive strike if it doesnt foul up something
    else in the system.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry about not getting back into this thread earlier. We are down in lovely Houma, Louisiana at the awesome rally they are having here.
    We do indeed sell a air bag "cup" that fits between the AB and swingarm frame. I think it is around $30. It comes with a longer bolt to compensate for the thickness of the Rock Guard. It is fairly involved and I did make an install video, which I will give a link to. I suggest also buying the spring removal tool for the exhaust. It is $10. You will have to remove the muffler and the cat directly upstream from it. This tool makes taking the springs, especially the upper one very easy to do. Watch the video for the step by step.
    The design of the AB and where the holes occur from rocks on the bottom make it an ideal candidate for green slime and even with ours having a hole, by installing the slime and putting the "cup" on the bottom it seems to have stopped it from leaking for over a year now. The inlet for the air lines are on top of the AB so there is no way, even with the bouncing from the road for the slime to back up and foul the compressor/and or any other area.
    I feel like our "cup" should come standard on any Spyder that comes with an AB, whether it is air ryde or not. If the engineers and management at BRP would start listening this would save them tens of thousands in labor claims a year. We have several things that should be added out of the box. But that won't happen. Don't even get me started on the weakened side case hinge area on the RT's. (which we have a kit for also). We are the people that ryde these machines daily and we know what works and what doesn't.

Here is the video page again. Look for all the pertinent videos for the air ryde (there are several)

Here is where we sell the "cup" protector and tool for the exhaust.
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/products

For those of you brave souls that are going in, call me at 812-372-1949 and I will help as much as I can.

Spyder Garage

a big "thank you " to doc for answering a couple of ?'s when i installed mine a couple
    of weeks ago. irv toms
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Default Airbag

Would someone enlighten me please. I've been to the dealer and was told it was working just as it should, but I am not convinced yet.t

Stan
    This is a ride height adjustment when you brake at a light say it bleeds some out because the rear raised up as soon as you let of brake rear drops down and you will hear it pump back up
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Spyder Garage

Thanks for are the answers and suggestions to my questions. I decided there must be a hold in the air bag because it just would not hold air. I put one ounce of the tire sealant that Lamont sells and all seems well now. It does seem to work.

Stan