Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS TYPE

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have used all types of fuel in my bikes. I think the best mileage I have gotten is with fresh 87 octane gas. Doesn't matter if you use 93 or 87 if it has been sitting in a tank for a month. The worst gas I have gotten is 93 octane that I bought a little while ago. I am now running fuel injector cleaner in my tank because I am having a bit of trouble starting Cocaine every once in awhile. Not sure if the injectors are clogged or not, but old 93 gas is a heck of a lot worse than fresh 87. JMHO Plus, who really cares what kind of mileage we get. I run this thing as fast as I can, whenever I can. It's a heck of a lot more fun than worrying if I am getting 35 or 40 MPG's. PS....I usually get 35. Hard to hit higher than that doing 90 on the highway.
    I have been running 87 oct. 99.999 % of the time in my 1330 for 27,000 + miles and although I've been told many times here that I'm ruining my engine ( sorry but no one has proven this ) ... If I am loosing .05 % performance ...... so what .... my gas mileage is fine .......... As to your injectors being clogged ....I seriously doubt that, unless you accidently put some Diesel in it ........ which I doubt ....... What might be the starting issue is your Battery, the dealer didn't properly charge my Battery and it has been an issue from the day I bought it ......and I even ( must actually ) keep it on a maintainer when not riding it...... ANNNNND fresh is better ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-23-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have been running 87 oct. 99.999 % of the time in my 1330 for 27,000 + miles and although I've been told many times here that I'm ruining my engine ( sorry but no has proven this ) ... If I am loosing .05 % performance ...... so what .... my gas mileage is fine .......... As to your injectors being clogged ....I seriously doubt that, unless you accidently put some Diesel in it ........ which I doubt ....... What might be the starting issue is your Battery, the dealer didn't properly charge my Battery and it has been an issue from the day I bought it ......and I even ( must actually ) keep it on a maintainer when not riding it...... ANNNNND fresh is better ....... Mike
    I never had any issues with starting until recently. Put some 93 in and since then, its been starting rough half the time. Some times it fires right up, others, it just turns over and over. Most of the time I use 87 from a high volume station and it runs fine. I never keep it on a maintainer. The only time Cocaine sits for longer than a few days is when I had a toe amputated, and that was only for a couple weeks.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default BAD GAS

I never had any issues with starting until recently. Put some 93 in and since then, its been starting rough half the time. Some times it fires right up, others, it just turns over and over. Most of the time I use 87 from a high volume station and it runs fine. I never keep it on a maintainer. The only time Cocaine sits for longer than a few days is when I had a toe amputated, and that was only for a couple weeks.
    Run some Sea Foam thru it .......... that may fix the problem ...... the bike is too new for injector issues ...imho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Back to your bike for a moment: who ever said that you were "ruining" your engine?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Funny... most people have trouble STOPPING cocaine.... not starting it......;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE DAMAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike,
    Back to your bike for a moment: who ever said that you were "ruining" your engine?
    Sorry Bob, but I didn't make a list. ....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Again
    I say fresh gas is best
    Very few people use high octane & often my bike ran crappy.
    Mid fuel usually fresher & our bike runs better
    Sunocco & shell being usual exception.
    Non ethanol is pretty good here bcuz of boating community so i run it in my boat as its in water all time.
    Then use it in spyder if its going to sit. (Which is rare!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Run some Sea Foam thru it .......... that may fix the problem ...... the bike is too new for injector issues ...imho .... Mike
    Yes I only have 75 miles on it now but was just wondering about ethynol. My boat motor manual says not to run ethynol so I just wondered!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    Just purchased a 2016 F3-t and the manual says high octane gas! My issue is I live in Minnesota and ALL gas here has ethanol in it at 10%. Does anyone use ethanol and any problems?
    There are at least 584 stations in MN that sell non-oxygenated gas.
    http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I had run a couple of bottles of Star-Tron through it with no success. It's a hit or miss thing right now. Next it is to the dealer since it is under warrantee.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default STAR - TRON

I had run a couple of bottles of Star-Tron through it with no success. It's a hit or miss thing right now. Next it is to the dealer since it is under warrantee.
    WOW - I use this all the time - about 1/4 oz. per tank of gas ........ From what I've read about Star - Tron it mostly negates the Ethyl ...... I believe the Sea- Foam is more of a CLEANER ............... but you could have something entirely different and if under Warranty let them FIX it ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I live in Luverne.
    Well then you have been to my town then,, I am from Pipestone.. We probably know some of the same people... Xman

Spyder Garage

WOW - I use this all the time - about 1/4 oz. per tank of gas ........ From what I've read about Star - Tron it mostly negates the Ethyl ...... I believe the Sea- Foam is more of a CLEANER ............... but you could have something entirely different and if under Warranty let them FIX it ....... Mike
    I will be going in soon to have some front tires put on and plan to have them check it out. Unless of course it works itself out. And Mike, 1/4 oz per tank? Or is that a typo?

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default STAR - TRON

I will be going in soon to have some front tires put on and plan to have them check it out. Unless of course it works itself out. And Mike, 1/4 oz per tank? Or is that a typo?
    .... .... I use the Marine concentrate version ( cheaper to use ) the recommended ratio is 1 oz for every 16 gal. of gas ........... I usually put 4 gal. in at a fill-up so 1/4 oz. is all you need ................ and Yes you can put 101 Octane gas in your Spyder at $ 8.00 per gal. ....... but since it also runs just as well with 89 oct. @ $2.44 per gal........... If those folks have $ 6.46 to throw away that's fine with me --- it's THEIR money

Spyder Garage

Well, the manual says to use premium, and many folks here say they've run on regular and mid-grade with no problems. What all that means is, if you prefer to run premium, but have to fuel up in a boondocks gas station that doesn't have premium (I've been there), you can fill up on anything until you can get to another station. That's peace of mind.

FWIW, a local gas station has ethanol-free gas, but it's regular grade octane, and costs as much as premium.

Spyder Garage

it seams that I've only had problems with gas is when I've gotten it out of storage and have that over winter gas in the tank starts fine but runs a little rough but when I'm on a fresh tank it clears up. As for lower octane I ride back roads when I can and have needed fuel up in some small towns where the station only sells regular gas 87 octane didn't notice any difference in performance that being said I usually run 91 octane but will run lower grade fuel which is far better than walking. In one small town the only station was on a side street and I had to knock on the front door to have the owner turn on the pump I was lucky they were home.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel? No stinking alcohol!

Check with local marinas, as they generally sell NON ethanol gas for boats in many states. Ethanol is murder on boat fuel systems due to absorbing moisture and resultant corrosion in the fuel system. Often gas stations near lakes or rivers sell non-ethanol also. I generally fuel with what ever is available on the road and have had no problems with my SPYDER. If you are going to store your trike use a good fuel additive recommended for Ethanol gas blends.