Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Type - anyone use ethanol and any problems?

Just purchased a 2016 F3-t and the manual says high octane gas! My issue is I live in Minnesota and ALL gas here has ethanol in it at 10%. Does anyone use ethanol and any problems?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    Just purchased a 2016 F3-t and the manual says high octane gas! My issue is I live in Minnesota and ALL gas here has ethanol in it at 10%. Does anyone use ethanol and any problems?
    I also live in MN also not ALL gas have 10% ethanol in it. My local Kwick Trip and a local store sells gas with no ethanol.
    May I ask where you live and I will tell you the nearest gas pump with no ethanol?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    10% ethanol here in NY also. I use 91 octane or higher. No issues.
    NY also sells non ethanol gas also.

Link below

http://www.pure-gas.org

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    I also live in MN also not ALL gas have 10% ethanol in it. My local Kwick Trip and a local store sells gas with no ethanol.
    May I ask where you live and I will tell you the nearest gas pump with no ethanol?

I live in Luverne.

Spyder Garage

I live in Luverne.
    Brandon has 3 stores

Spyder Garage

Minnesota State Law requires all gasoline so must contain 10% ethynol so I don't know how your Kwick Trip is doing it. My source is the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. We where the first state to mandate ethynol!

Spyder Garage

Brandon has 3 stores

I know South Dakota does but I'm concerned about traveling in Minnesota!

Spyder Garage

Live in Texas, and we have the 10% ethanol too......as long as we use 93 octain....no problems...are happy.....so enjoy
    " My Serenity "......2017 Spyder F3T....Silver Gray in color,Red dragon on Celtic cross on frunk,Blade wheels,Spyderpops bumpskid,LED headlights and foglights,Lamonster heim joints,Lamonster powerpoint,F3 Spyder cuff, Lidlocks helmet lock,Lamonster air pack,Ron-jon sway bar,Sara Clark painted thin blue line and Sheriffs badge, Spyderpops LED strobe brake and rear turn signal lights, Lamonster gas cap, bluetooth.
    2017 F3T , silver

Spyder Garage

Default Quick Question Please?

Does the ethenol that is used in motor fuel do anything to help the American Farmer? Was it mandated to help the oil & gas companies save their reserves or was it to help the American Farmers be more profitable or both? Either your opinion or facts to support your view?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    Does the ethenol that is used in motor fuel do anything to help the American Farmer? Was it mandated to help the oil & gas companies save their reserves or was it to help the American Farmers be more profitable or both? Either your opinion or facts to support your view?
    Farmers can sell there corn generally at a higher price to the Ethynol plant than at the elevator! My opinion of this law was to make the STOCK holder filthy rich!

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT?!!

Ethanol is required in a majority of, if not all states, if companies are still building vehicles that can't run it without doing harm to the machine I think that they owe the consumer of their products an explanation as to why they haven't adjusted to this type of fuel I run the highest octane available at the pump mostly 91 with 10% ethanol and I have no problems with my spyder I stopped worrying about ethanol years ago and can't recall any failure of any motor vehicle I own to ethanol this includes my lawn mower.

Spyder Garage

Default gas

I thought that the problem with ethanol and older vehicles was the damage it did to the carb. gaskets? (maybe all engine gaskets in contact)
    I do remember when it was started it cost us extra to add it to gas . Now they charge extra to purchase non-ethanol gas.
    Something ain't right - and it will probably never be!!
    Good nite to all
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I run premium with 10% Ethanol and have no trouble. I run no ethanol when I can, it gets slightly better fuel economy.

Spyder Garage

Gasoline can be high octane and still contain ethanol.

10% ethanol is not necessarily harmful or bad for any engine - unless the ethanol has time to absorb moisture (which depends on the surrounding environment and time before being used). Avoid it when you can and when you can't, use it in a reasonable period of time (depending on humidity, etc.), and you shouldn't have any unusual issues. I always try to use 100% gasoline when available.
    So raise the sails, and trim all the sheets.
    Set your course, and jam all the cleats.
    We'll follow the north star to know where we are.
    So, you sleepyheads, get out of bed, right now.
    Let your fortunes be cast to the wind

Spyder Garage

Minnesota State Law requires all gasoline so must contain 10% ethynol so I don't know how your Kwick Trip is doing it. My source is the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. We where the first state to mandate ethynol!
    Ok
    You only know what you have been told.
    Just a copy of part of the Minnesota statue
    Subd. 12.Exemption for collector vehicle and off-road use.

(a) A person responsible for the product may offer for sale, sell, or dispense at a retail gasoline station for use in collector vehicles or vehicles eligible to be licensed as collector vehicles, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, or small engines, gasoline that is not oxygenated in accordance with subdivision 1 if the person meets the conditions in paragraphs (b) to (e). If the nonoxygenated gasoline is for use in a small engine, it must be dispensed into a can with a capacity of six or fewer gallons

Spyder Garage

Also it's just not my Kwick Trip it's more than 580 other gas stations state wide.

Spyder Garage

I know South Dakota does but I'm concerned about traveling in Minnesota!
    Sorry
    But I was thinking of the wrong Brandon. I didn't know the Brandon by you was in South Dakota. There is a Brandon up north that has the ethanol free gas.
    Just look at the link I posted and you will find some around you.

Spyder Garage

I have found the quality of gas to be more important unless you are storing it.
    When I fill tank & Bike runs xtra strong I tend to try to use that stations fuel.
    You can get crappy non eth or great eth or evil watery whatever. Much depends on how they keep facilities up & how often the fill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default CA with ethanol

No problems but I do add seafoam every other tankful...keeps things purring...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A local gas station (Universal City, a suburb of San Antonio, TX) sells no ethanol gas, which I use.

Sent telepathically
    2012 RS
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

When in doubt--follow the suggestions in the owners manual.

In real life--I have found that pretty much anything will work--and I have been forced to use pretty much anything a very few times.

When I have a choice--I use high test. In AK, that is 90 octane. The other choices are usually 87 and 88. I just prefer the 90 and IMO--my is "peppier." This may just be a placebo effect for me. Others have stated theirs runs just fine on 87 or comparable.

Happy to say that AK is NOT a farming state where we have to support the corn grower. Our gas is ethanol free.

Now, what do you think about those oil choices?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

High octane does not mean no ethanol.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I add a little Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment to every tank. Just a little extra peace of mind. Amazon carries it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think about this for a moment...
    Does your manual even BEGIN to mention ethanol?
    Of course not!
    The key component, is the octane rating, and nothing else.
    Ethanol has been used in our fuel for a pretty long time, and it is probable that these bikes have been designed to handle it at the current 10% mix without issues.
    Having said this: My bike gets almost a 10% increase in fuel economy, when I can find "pure" gas...
    But I've never gone out of my way to look for it, and it has never been an issue.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

ethanol does several things it helped eliminate lead, it provided a market for corn an abundant US product, reduces our dependence on foreign oil, and reduces emissions. Seems like a fairly go idea to me JMO.