Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question A lot to learn. Thinking about shopping for a Spyder.

I really don't belong here, but I know that you guys are the true experts from my experience with various car forums. I'm becoming interested in Spyders. I never had a motorcycle, but rode one briefly several times. I used to do a lot of snowmobiling for what it's worth.
    I'm 6'3" tall, around 220 lb and 71 yrs old. The nearest dealer is 35 mi away, but I don't want to visit him until I feel like I know what I'm looking for. I've read over the Sticky titled Do's and Do Nots in this forum.
    Maybe I should just be looking at used machines?? They can be well loaded up with accessories, but can be loaded with problems as well, I guess. I would likely want to have a passenger aboard on occasion.
    How friendly are these machines to taller riders (34 inseam!). There must be various options and accessories made for the taller rider.
    I would definitely want the 1330 engine as I really appreciate performance. Probably the semi-automatic as well.

That's all I can think of right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much, in advance, for helping.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default snowmobile

if you can handle a snowmobile then youll be fine i would suggest the f3 model very comfortable and adjustable

Spyder Garage

You can't go by mere specs as everyone is built differently and feels comfort different. You will need to sit on them to see the difference. You're probably looking at an RT and you should have no problem. You're just a little taller than I am and should be fine. I am alot more comfortable on an RT than an F3 FWIW. As far as new/used, if you find a great deal on a used (2014+) with accessories you want thats fine but typically you can score a great deal on a leftover model from previous year with mfg rebates, etc. But you may have to shop it and not just go to 1 local dealer.
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 03-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forums. The one thing that you should decide is whether you will be riding solo or 2 up. That makes a difference if you care about your passenger. The F3 lineup is great for taller riders who like the cruiser (feet out front) riding position. But if you will be carrying a passenger much, you may want to look into a RT, RTS, or RT Limited model (2014 and up have the 1330). There are some great deals on the F3 right now, but get ready for having very little storage. I am 6'-2" and love my RT. They can also be fitted with a comfort seat which will give the driver 2" of extra leg room. Right now there is a local F3 (2015 model) for sale with around 2k miles and it is under $12k. Good luck with your search and drive both models before making a decision.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your snowmobiling experience will definitely help you to feel comfortable on the Spyder!
    How would you be using the bike? Short pleasure hops, or cruising across the Country? Will you be riding solo, or with a passenger? Is cargo space important to you?
    You've mentioned wanting a 1330 triple, and the SE-6 transmission; that's a GREAT starting point!
    This means that you're either looking at the RT, or the F3.

Ergonomics can be pretty important:
    Ergos F-3.jpgErgos RT.jpg
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

With what you've mentioned so far, my bet is that you'd really enjoy an RT. I often describe the handling of our RT as a combination of a snowmobile and an atv, just a whole lot faster...LOL. Good luck and let us know which route you choose
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

F3 or RT for the 1330. RT for standard type seating, F3 for feet forward seating.

Welcome!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

One thing you will find with a Spyder is the experience is so much better than in a car, even a convertible. The 'Freedom of the open road" is not a myth.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

There are hundreds of used Spyders out there. Many people get the itch, buy a Spyder, ride a few hundred miles, then it gets parked in the garage and sits for years. Look around and find a bargain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default A new leftover 2016 F3T SE6, adjustable footpegs # 5 position will fit your 6'3" body

Quote Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
    I really don't belong here, but I know that you guys are the true experts from my experience with various car forums. I'm becoming interested in Spyders. I never had a motorcycle, but rode one briefly several times. I used to do a lot of snowmobiling for what it's worth.
    I'm 6'3" tall, around 220 lb and 71 yrs old. The nearest dealer is 35 mi away, but I don't want to visit him until I feel like I know what I'm looking for. I've read over the Sticky titled Do's and Do Nots in this forum.
    Maybe I should just be looking at used machines?? They can be well loaded up with accessories, but can be loaded with problems as well, I guess. I would likely want to have a passenger aboard on occasion.
    How friendly are these machines to taller riders (34 inseam!). There must be various options and accessories made for the taller rider.
    I would definitely want the 1330 engine as I really appreciate performance. Probably the semi-automatic as well.

That's all I can think of right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much, in advance, for helping.

The 2016 F3T SE6 has new style dash, an air bladder in rear to adjust for riding height, & is an improvement over 2015 F3.
    New 2016 F3T SE6 Spyders are discounted now.
    A 2016 F3T has 5 different footpeg adjustments positions 1 1/2" apart; you would need to sit on a F3T to see if #5 or #4 position stretched out will feel correct for your legs position.
    With snowmobile riding experience, Spyder will be a piece of cake to learn to ride.
    (I compare F3T riding experience to a Go Kart on steroids in corners, etc; very stable & won't tip over).
    With power steering, cruise control, SE6 semi-auto trans, 1330cc awesome engine, it is a blast to ride everyday!
    You can buy a passenger backrest & also a drivers backrest if needed.
    Imotorsports ships to your door, no set up charges.
    http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defau...=xnewinventory
    Enjoy your search.
    Jim

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What they said.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it

Your sled experience will help . I rode bikes and snowmobiles since being a young lad and loved both . I was away from the motorcycle world for 15 years almost because my hearing and balance went .... Then along came a Spyder . You may want to think about taking a Spyder training course where they provide you with a Spyder to ride , I did and even after many years on different 2 wheels I found it very beneficial ( plus insurance discounts ) . As suggested above looking for a used one for your first shot at it may also be a good idea if you are not 100% sure ... After a few Rydes I'm sure you will be though

Spyder Garage

Default F3 orRT ?

I have driven both and purchased a F3 limited. I am 6'5" leg length 34" inseam. The RT LEG POSITION was to far back to comfortably use the brake pedal. Riding a Harley for yrs I like the forward leg position .
    you will suffer storage, but the new F3 has a rear truck now. the 1330 engine is awesome .

ride safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    I have driven both and purchased a F3 limited. I am 6'5" leg length 34" inseam. The RT LEG POSITION was to far back to comfortably use the brake pedal. Riding a Harley for yrs I like the forward leg position .
    you will suffer storage, but the new F3 has a rear truck now. the 1330 engine is awesome .

ride safe.
    Crossbow......when you say that the rat leg position was too far back, is that with your F3, or did the F3 solve the problem?? Thanks for your comments.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

Big thanks from the OP to everyone who posted here so far. Your comments are valuable to my decision making and I really appreciate them.

Spyder Garage

I believe a test drive is in order--hopefully the dealer has both an RT and a F3 to test out. You wanting a 1330 is the right move.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Those who live in the sometime frozen north and know snowmobiles have offered valuable advice on what to expect from a Spyder. I too have a 34" inseam, use a Comfort Seat and Tri-Axis handlebars, and can ride all day in superior comfort. I've also test ridden a 2016 F3 Ltd and thought it was tons of fun. Left to my own devices I'd probably have one of each in the garage but then probably wouldn't be able to afford the divorce settlement. Wife will allow only agree to one in the car barn.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default A Lot to Learn

You belong here as much as anyone else riding a Spyder of any kind, or a person or couple looking to buy one.
    I started riding when I was 15 on a 1957 Lambretta 150cc two cycle scooter purchased from my brother in law for $30. Nearly 17 motorcycles, and 49 years later, my wife (married 10/4/2009) and I traded an '05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5. It's a Pure Magnesium (in color), 998cc, two cylinder v-twin with just under 24,000 miles on it, now. It was a way of getting into a Spyder and the Can Am Spyder community. Our ultimate goal is going to be a 2015/2016, metallic red, Can Am Spyder RT-Limited. It has the three cylinder, 1330cc, liquid cooled engine, it's quieter, a bit more fuel efficient, smoother, 15 more horsepower at 115hp. If your goal is two up touring, over distances, or just to the local grocery store, I'd wager that you'd thorough enjoy a 2014 or later, Can Am Spyder RT-SE6 or RT-Limited. Or if money is no object, a person can go to the BRP Can Am website, and "build your own" brand new Spyder. They can easily reach $36,000 or more, if one wants also to buy the Can Am Freedom trailer. And that would be my two cents. :-)

Spyder Garage

F3 is the way to go .... I am 6'6", 300 lbs with a 36"+ inseam. The F3 with the adjustable floorboards allow me to switch our LTD between fitting myself and my wife.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You say you don't belong here but you have already done more prior to buying a Spyder than a lot of people. You have read the Do's and Do Nots post. Reading that gives you a lot of information that can be used before you buy. I lurked on this site for a couple weeks before I bought my first bike and it was well worth it. This is a great site and you already have an idea on what to expect. Hope you find the right bike for you.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

To this sometimes quirky site. You will not find a better place if it's a spyder your a wanting.... you'very already taken good first steps...but gotta say the test ryde is gonna be the closing bell..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went to dealer and sat on both. F3 is better for me but both are good. I have a new post about the problem I find with my knees contacting the body at a sharp area.

Man.....these things are expensive!!! I can't buy for months anyway due to a foot cast but may look at "previously owned" for a first machine.

Really like all I learned from dealer.

Thanks again for all your help and input.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    F3 is the way to go .... I am 6'6", 300 lbs with a 36"+ inseam. The F3 with the adjustable floorboards allow me to switch our LTD between fitting myself and my wife.
    Being so tall, do you have a problem where your knees rub or strike against the sharp sculpturing of the body???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heal quickly, and Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bigger

I'm slightly taller than you and somewhat heavier, a F-3 with the pegs in the number five position would fit you just fine. CanAM has a special on 2016 and earlier bikes with a large rebate so you could probably get a out of date new bike for the price of a used bike and make it your own.