Spyder Garage

Default Ohhh. That wind.

So I've been breaking in my spyder..this past weekend I got 280 hard fought miles in so now I have 500. That wind though!!!! Whooo!!!! That sure is something else on one of these!!!! There was a couple times that it felt like I was gonna get blown into the ditch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you tuck your knees in tight against the "tank"; it'll help to stabilize you on top of the bike, and keep you feeling much more comfortable in those situations.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile Stability in the wind

You may not realize it but best guess is that driver inputs were causing a majority of the jitters. Next time, and there will be many of them. Loosen your grip, keep as much of your body out of the airflow as possible, and see if you notice a change in handling.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I've been working on loosening my grip. It was really tough especially yesterday, I guess it's just those old motorcycle instincts kicking in and gripping on for dear life. Haha.

Spyder Garage

Over control will give the a feeling that it has a mind of its own. You will get better with a few more miles.

White knuckle gripping will put unnecessary input into the steering. Try to pretend that there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Do not break the eggs. A gentle push/pull on the steering, lighter grip, and you will be amazed at how the begins to behave.

I also suggest reading the thread on Do's/Don'ts. There is a lot of great information in there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gunny Ermey said it well:

Knees in The Breeze.jpg

He has such a way with words!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-20-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wind

I was on the Spyder in NW Iowa in the wind also. The gusts are the worst, but a light touch on the handlebars kept in on track. The two miles of gravel road, from where I store it to the highway was the worst. Just kept it slow and steady and did just fine. Have fun riding.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I mainly just rest my palms towards the outer ends of the grips when cruising along. sometimes I just lay my wrists on top of the grips. rarely do I wrap my fingers around the grips. I use my palm and thumb to control the throttle most of the time. its easier to steer these things with your palms than it is to grip the grips.

Spyder Garage

yep the lighter the better. Like touching well never mind u get the idea

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have found that the wind blows me around, not the bike. The unexpected gusts will really send me flying. I get knocked sideways but Cocaine rides straight and true.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The lighter touch comes with practice.

Also, if you're coming from 2-wheeler experience, remember the in a cross-wind you have to steer into the wind on a Spyder.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have found that the wind blows me around, not the bike. The unexpected gusts will really send me flying. I get knocked sideways but Cocaine rides straight and true.
    You know I was getting knocked around quite a bit and that's why I had the death grip which in turn made it all just worse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gallam03 View Post
    So I've been breaking in my spyder..this past weekend I got 280 hard fought miles in so now I have 500. That wind though!!!! Whooo!!!! That sure is something else on one of these!!!! There was a couple times that it felt like I was gonna get blown into the ditch!!

I know the feeling, A while back and got into some stiff cross wind (40 MPH gusts) that got my attention real fast.
    I to am just getting used to the change in the way 3 ride over the 2 I have road so many years but things are getting better,
    I found that the knees thing helps and the lite grip also works for me (to a point),
    Now I am waiting to see how it is after I changed front tires and the sway bar it does feel better but have not road in side wind again like that.
    RELAX RELAX RELAX Ya right sometimes its hard to do when have part of the seat up your (never mind) and your butt is sending signals to your hands.
    Guess it comes with miles so it off for some more fun + or -
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Yeah I'm bone stock right now. I see lots of people upgrade their sway bars, front shocks, add stiffeners
    , etc...It's on my wish list

Spyder Garage

The upgraded sway bar will help. Also don't forget the simple stuff. As basic as it is, tire pressure is big on the Spyder. make sure your fronts are the same pressure. Use a good digital gage to check em with. Start with 18-20 psi in the fronts, and about 28 in the rear and see if it helps. Loosen that grip, and grip a bit with your knees. Give it a while and if it still seems squirley, an alignment might help as well. If you have a high windshield, lower it down a bit. Those things become sails in the wind
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Gallam

I just got back from my 100 mile ride and on the Fun + or - scale I would have to say definitely on the Plus side Way on the plus side again I had some side wind just not as strong as before BUT the Spyder ran as if it was on rails, I know a major part of my problem was me but it also helped with the new Sway Bar and getting rid of the stock tires on front, Next Laser alignment is in order and if it makes near the difference I have had so far I will just set in the rear seat and point it toward home, Will may not to that extent but close.
    BTW I am just over my first 500 miles so it does get better, I did as everyone has said the knees tight to the bike and kept telling my self to stay relaxed
    Last edited by Large1; 03-21-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    yep the lighter the better. Like touching well never mind u get the idea
    I kept that in mind to day and I have to say with the lite touch she responded very nicely .
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID