Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I'm looking into purchasing a new helmet but with their having so much available the choices are pretty tuff.. was wondering what you guys are using as a helmet. I've learned that they make some for the speed bikes as u are alot more leaned forward and some for the straight up position like we are. I'm wondering if I couldn't use one that's made for the speed bike on the spyder and so forth. Also looking at the modular ones.

Thanks a lot in advance [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

From personal experience, I would recommend the Nolan N-44.

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

Your right.... stick with the DOT/Snell tested helmets of good quality. Make sure it is a good comfortable fit and best suited for your type of ryding. You do have the Half, 3/4, Modular and full face helmets to choose from. You would have to try and see which you like. I prefer the modular which gives you the option to ryde 3/4 or full face. I like to have the 3/4 for slow ryding and in town but prefer the full face for the freeway and faster rydes. Go to a big multi bike dealer who has a large selection of helmets and try them out...happy hunting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buying a helmet is about as personal as choosing a Spouse...
    Just a few things to consider:
    If it doesn't fit properly: don't waste your money on it.
    If you also use an intercom system: there are some helmets that have them built-in, or at least have space available for them.
    D-rings may have been the standard method of "nailing them in place"; but if your arthritis is starting to make them a hassle... look for alternatives.

The coverage provided by a helmet is always a major consideration.
    Something to think about:

Impact Study.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you have a selection of helmets that meet the DOT standard, it just depends on fit and features. Everyone will recommend the helmet they like best, but it may not work for you. You should try on a lot and keep them on for a while.

I like to shop at Revzilla. They give noise, visibility and weight information. If you can't decide, buy one and try it on at home, wear it around the house for a few hours and you'll have a good idea if it will work for you. They have a good return policy.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Yeah I've been their and seen quite the array of options. I do have a 1/2 helmets and a snowmobiling modular one it its to warm for winter. I was just curious to see what all u guys have and some other options to me. And like I said I never knew their was different helmets for different riding position. I got there more confused then before as the ones I liked were more for the lean position then what we have on our spyders..

Thanks a lot for all the input. Love this forum for all the nice people and help.. 😃

Spyder Garage

You first have to decide what style of helmet you want. Open face, 3/4, modular, peanut, etc. Each style has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages and only you can decide which one suits your purpose.

Once you decide on the style, I would strongly urge you to go to a large shop with a good variety of helmets. A good and knowledgeable sales guy or gal is a big help. Helmets are made in differing internal shapes, and this is critical in getting the proper helmet. This is where a good salesperson comes into play. New helmets should be snug, very snug, but not uncomfortable. The foam padding breaks in and they get looser with time. Where the helmet around the shop to make sure it's comfortable with no pressure points, called hot spots. If you feel one, discard that choice immediately because it will only get worse.

Here's a good link for helmets so you can pre-shop.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3-Pro...
    It is by far: the quietest helmet that I have ever had!
    Even with the visor cracked a bit (I like some airflow), it's WAY better than my previous helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Schuberth C3-Pro...
    Even with the visor cracked a bit (I like some airflow), it's WAY better than my previous helmets.
    I second your reply, Bob. Some may think they are costly, but what you put into it is priceless.
    Veni, vidi, discessit

Potius sero quam nunquam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    I second your reply, Bob. Some may think they are costly, but what you put into it is priceless.
    My Missus would argue with your about the value of my head... but I DO agree with you.
    Like the old advertisement from Bell Helmets said"
    "If you've got a $10.00 Head: use a $10.00 helmet"

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First and foremost a helmet must fit properly and be comfortable. Since everyone's head is a different shape that is tough to recommend one brand. I use an HJC IS-MAX2 size 3X that I purchased at Cycle Gear. It is a Modular with a drop down internal sun shield for round shaped heads. If you have no shops like Cycle Gear around, try going to a motorcycle show or as was stated Revzilla is an excellent source for info and purchase.
    https://www.revzilla.com/best-motorcycle-helmets-2017
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Helmets and seats are the two areas where your body will tell you which works best. Don't give a what other people wear unless their heads are exactly like yours. If the helmet doesn't fit properly and you get any kind of pain when wearing it over an extended period it isn't the one for you. In my case an HJC modular was an instant migrane but a Shoei Neotec fit great and was what I bought. We had a devil of a time finding a helmet that was comfortable for my wife but Revzilla was great to work with getting us finally to the one she liked and was most comfortable for her. I don't remember how many we tried, sometimes ordering multiple helmets at once, but they were always very helpful on the phone and the returns couldn't have been easier. I will admit that Cycle Gear had one that she loved but it came with a cheap, built in Bluetooth headset that wasn't compatible with my Sena and the company did not make a helmet with the same shell, lining, fit, etc., but no Bluetooth POS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm currently using a Shoei RF-1200 and it's much quieter and lighter than my Scorpion EXO-500. Also keep in mind there are different head shapes and different manufacturers focus more on different shapes. Revzilla does an excellent job of calling out what shapes each helmet is best for.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default I agree regarding the Schuberth C3

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Schuberth C3-Pro...
    But also like the Shoie GT Air. Both are a bit pricey, but I feel worth their price. the GT air is a full face helmet, but one that allows you to crack, or open the faceshield

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Jul0682 View Post
    I'm looking into purchasing a new helmet but with their having so much available the choices are pretty tuff.. was wondering what you guys are using as a helmet. I've learned that they make some for the speed bikes as u are alot more leaned forward and some for the straight up position like we are. I'm wondering if I couldn't use one that's made for the speed bike on the spyder and so forth. Also looking at the modular ones.

Thanks a lot in advance [emoji3]

I agree buying a helmet is a very personal thing and checking fit before you buy is really a plus I have a Shoei Neotec because it fits me best and it is the very quiet and that is a very big plus on long rides

Spyder Garage

Yeah I've looked at the shoei and they are pretty expensive and I wanted to look for a modular as well but having a hard time finding one I like.

Spyder Garage

Default Nolan all the way

Find a BMW dealer and get properly fitted.

Spyder Garage

KX5062 has already pointed you to this site but there Helmet FAQ section is particularly good and helps you make the right decisions:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

Worth reading first before going through their reviews as it's very informative.

My last helmet was a modular one as I liked the idea but I didn't actually find it as useful as I'd hoped. Found I took the helmet off more than I lifted the front. This time around I've gone for a Shoei GT-Air as I wanted something quiet and liked the idea of the tinted inner visor. Been very impressed with it and will probably buy another the next time around. The Shoei came with one of those pinlock anti-mist inserts, that's been fantastic as well.

Spyder Garage

I have another pair of Nolan Modulars on the way. That will make 8 Nolan helmets on the shelf. Been using them for years.

Sizing is important. Each brand is a little different, so you need to shop local to get the size thing figured out. Once the sizing is done, you can decide where to spend your money.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You're really asking for opinions, and as for opinions....well....they're like butt cracks...everyone has one. In all seriousness though, go to a large dealer, or several dealers, and start trying some on. Everyone has a bit different shaped melon, so it's hard to just decide on a brand without trying a bunch on. When ya find one that feels right, write down what it is and size, then go home and order it online to save some cash
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

speaking of melons...

watermelon-helmet-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Haha good one. 7$ helmet. Lol that's funny..

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Yah I agree with all of u that u gotta go out there a difference try them on and got from there. I was just curious to see what all of u are using and what u thought about them such as pros and cons. I know online they always try to sell u them without having actually tried them for a period of time, hence why I was asking here to see you guys input on different models and see what u guys love..

Thanks a million again, u guys are awesome 😆

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    You first have to decide what style of helmet you want. Open face, 3/4, modular, peanut, etc. Each style has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages and only you can decide which one suits your purpose.

Once you decide on the style, I would strongly urge you to go to a large shop with a good variety of helmets. A good and knowledgeable sales guy or gal is a big help. Helmets are made in differing internal shapes, and this is critical in getting the proper helmet. This is where a good salesperson comes into play. New helmets should be snug, very snug, but not uncomfortable. The foam padding breaks in and they get looser with time. Where the helmet around the shop to make sure it's comfortable with no pressure points, called hot spots. If you feel one, discard that choice immediately because it will only get worse.

Here's a good link for helmets so you can pre-shop.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
    That's was a very good read and thank you very much my friend [emoji1]

Spyder Garage

My melon has been happy with HJC, BRP Modular, and Bell. Pretty big range in cost, but really, they all served the same purpose, and all fit about the same I'd say. But, that's just me. The BRP modular was a bit noisy, and by far the most expensive. HJC was nice middle of the road, and the Bell has been the most comfy.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White