Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    First and foremost a helmet must fit properly and be comfortable. Since everyone's head is a different shape that is tough to recommend one brand. I use an HJC IS-MAX2 size 3X that I purchased at Cycle Gear. It is a Modular with a drop down internal sun shield for round shaped heads. If you have no shops like Cycle Gear around, try going to a motorcycle show or as was stated Revzilla is an excellent source for info and purchase.
    https://www.revzilla.com/best-motorcycle-helmets-2017

Interesting that you should mention the HJC IS-MAX2 - My Honey and I are in the process of updating equipment and are looking at new helmets. An employee at a bike shop we visited recommended this helmet and we were quite impressed with the comfort and visibility and LOVED the internal sun shield. He advised us he felt it was quiet - but we're talking about a "kid" with 30 year old ears verses our going on 70 year old sensitive-to-noises and not-yet-deaf-ears. Your opinion, O Wise One, about wind noise and ventilation, please.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plenty of great info all ready given. I've worn ariai's', shoei's and my current helmet is a shark evoline 3. Great helmet but expensive. Dale

Spyder Garage

I ware Nolan modular, but what ever you decide on, if you want to be seen and not hit after dark, go with white.
    Good luck,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    Interesting that you should mention the HJC IS-MAX2 - My Honey and I are in the process of updating equipment and are looking at new helmets. An employee at a bike shop we visited recommended this helmet and we were quite impressed with the comfort and visibility and LOVED the internal sun shield. He advised us he felt it was quiet - but we're talking about a "kid" with 30 year old ears verses our going on 70 year old sensitive-to-noises and not-yet-deaf-ears. Your opinion, O Wise One, about wind noise and ventilation, please.
    The IS-MAX was my previous choice, and it was the LOUDEST helmet that I had ever used...
    And I hate saying this: my previous experiences with HJC have always been positive...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I like the HJC very quiet easy off & on don't know about radio & other hook ups tho but very sure they have them

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    speaking of melons...

This style of helmet would be easy to custom fit your noggin....just take that good ole melon baller and keep scoopin' until you get
    it right.....

His and Her Spyders.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

The IS-MAX was my previous choice, and it was the LOUDEST helmet that I had ever used...
    And I hate saying this: my previous experiences with HJC have always been positive...
    It's a shame bike shops don't offer a "Ride and Try" for helmet shoppers. It's one thing to wear it around the shop, but another to actually be able to feel it while riding and being able to evaluate it for noise, venting, etc. Lot of money to spend for an oops!

His and Her Spyders.

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
    It's a shame bike shops don't offer a "Ride and Try" for helmet shoppers. It's one thing to wear it around the shop, but another to actually be able to feel it while riding and being able to evaluate it for noise, venting, etc. Lot of money to spend for an oops!
    Yeah that's for sure. I agree with u 100%

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jul0682 View Post
    Yeah that's for sure. I agree with u 100%

How long should the ride-and-try go for? 24 hours? A week? And, would you want to purchase a helmet someone else wore (and sweated into) for a week?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    How long should the ride-and-try go for? 24 hours? A week? And, would you want to purchase a helmet someone else wore (and sweated into) for a week?
    Maybe not for a week or even two days but they say u should try them for atleast 45min to an hour in store. But I see your point though. .

Spyder Garage

My Missus would argue with your about the value of my head... but I DO agree with you.
    Like the old advertisement from Bell Helmets said"
    "If you've got a $10.00 Head: use a $10.00 helmet"
    Mine is around the 50 cents range
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

scorpion has a new one that is a three piece, helmet, neck guard, and chin guard. not for racing, and has a built in sun shield around $250.00

Scorpion 2017 Covert Ratnik 3-in-1 Motorcycle Helmet - Phantom
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 03-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

The better half and I tried on many helmets from many dealers. Most dealers only sell one line and not competing brands so you have to shop around. We ended up with 2 sets: half helmets with drop down sun visors and Shoei Neotec modular. Again many hours were spent with fit - not the price. we figured with helmets protecting the important parts prices was not where to cut corners. We have communication sets for both that work with the blue tooth dongle on the bike.
    Good luck and happy shopping

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for all input and suggestions. . I appreciate it alot and nice to know what u guys all have and what your thoughts on them.. you guys are awesome

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fit first

The first thing to consider is the fit, if it doesn't fit right it will cause you nothing but grief. Next would be to ask yourself, how much do I care about head trauma that could occur when something bad happens. These two things will point you in the right direction.

1.) A full face Snell approved helmet will offer you the most protection. Note, to my knowledge there are no modular helmets that are Snell approved.

2.) Modulars offer good protection but the moveable chin bar can fly apart if you happen to do a face plant.

3.) 3/4 ok protection as long as you are not worried about your face!

4.) 1/2 helmet.....now you are only complying with the law, if something bad happens, just hope you don't hit your head.

Arai Defiant here. Comfortable and quiet, but it fits me and my head shape, might not work for you. There are times that I think I may roll the dice and go with a modular so I can get a drink of water every now and then.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.