Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default More oil nonsense

Since I want to be as Spyder correct as possible I purchased a BRB oil change kit from the dealer to do my first change with. It's got a blended oil not pure synthetic. I will be using a pure syn in the future but is the blended what BRP is supplying from the factory? I also read where it takes a shade under 6 quarts to change oil and filter in the 1330, there is only 5 quarts in the 'kit'. Will I have to go back to the dealer for another quart of blended oil to top it off with or can I use another JASO M or M2 oil to top it off and can I top it off with a pure syn or do I need blended?
    My Baja Ron filter and 6 quarts of Valvoline motorcycle JASO M2 oil from Autozone is a hell of a lot less expensive than what BRP want's They don't even print on the oil what specifications it meets that info is only in the manual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP puts the blended oil in at the factory. I would imagine that if you started the bike out with pure synthetic oil; the engine might take forever to get broken-in.

Oil capacity:

1330 Oil requirements.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-15-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What is blended oil? Each oil maker can blend synthetic into oil and call it blended. I decided to go with straight synthetic. Bought my filter from ebay and oil from O'Reilly's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The earlier stated volume of oil turned out to be incorrect. Put in only 4 1/2 qts, get the engine warmed up, check the level and add as needed. I don't think you'll need more than the 5 qts in the kit. If I remember correctly I put in about 5 1/2 qts when I changed the oil the first time. It was overfilled.

Check out this BRP clarification. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ers-Chapter-II
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-15-2017 at 07:57 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

I have been using the kit on my RS for going on 5 years. It is a good oil and the factory uses it in their spyders. They do have a full synthetic kit but it is more expensive. Being a blended oil you can mix it with other full or not synthetic oils when your oil is not available. You can't with full synthetic. Next change you can switch to the full synthetic and you have some good choices.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR CHOICE IN VALVOLINE

.....The only full syn oil with a lower Moly content is Amsoil ( moly is bad for wet clutches like ours ) ..... and 5 qts + 3 oz. is perfect ...... if you let a Hot engine drain for about 2 hrs........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want to argue over which brand of oil should be used...
    I'll put BRP in mine. The Company wouldn't dare to market an oil that might increase warranty claims for busted engines.
    Can you buy a better oil?
    Probably...

Do you need to??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you want to argue over which brand of oil should be used...
    I'll put BRP in mine. The Company wouldn't dare to market an oil that might increase warranty claims for busted engines.
    Can you buy a better oil?
    Probably...

Do you need to??
    I am thinking here is the voice of reason.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me?!?

I've been called LOTS of things: Your post might be the first time for this one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Me?!?

I've been called LOTS of things: Your post might be the first time for this one!
    I know. And I was thinking just that as I hit the submit reply key. It is true--IMO--THIS TIME.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is? Faint.gif