Thread: 2013 Air Scoops

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Air Scoops

I bought a set of the 2013 air scoops for my 2012 and I have a few questions. Of course for the price I paid I did not get any instructions, also they are Black and my RT is blue. I don't really have a heat problem but I thought here in the Texas summer heat I could use all the help I could get.
    My questions:

1. Would it be best to have them installed by a dealer, or at least have them make any needed cuts?
    2. If I decide to paint them does anybody know what the 2012 blue paint code is or know where to find it?
    3. ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. Let the dealer at least make the cuts for you... without instructions: better to let them do the full installation.
    2. The color... They called it "Quantum Blue" You could try looking it up at www.touchupdirect.com
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you do a search here on the forum for Doc Riverside, he has a very concise set of instructions for installing the side vents. If you have a hard time with the instructions, you can contact Doc Riverside and he will be happy to answer any questions you might have. We installed the vents on my RT in the garage, and wasn't difficult at all and only took a couple of hours. You can cut the required openings using a coping saw, a dremel tool, or anything in between. If you can't find Doc Riverside, PM me and I will get you contact information.

David

C0391.jpg

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Air scoops install

I installed them myself on my 2012 RT A&C. Not hard. Ditto Doc Riverside's instructions. You can also pull up the BRP detailed instructions for the full 2013 modification install. It goes into detail on other modifications that were needed beyond just the scoops install. Take your time and read the instructions several times. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I installed mine . the only advise I have is on the alignment.
    there is a screw that goes into one of the holes where the vent wing was put that screw in to hold the alignment then mark the other holes some you can mark some you kind of guess at as you'll find out. then you put the unit together and the screws in from the back side.
    mine was a 2014 so I didn't cut anything just used them to cool the glove box so my snickers didn't melt

Spyder Garage

I just realized I hadn't followed up on this. My scoops are installed, my dealer gave me break on the install he said he could cut the hole for $50 or for another $100 he would do it all, so no brainer as far as I was concerned. I haven't noticed any change in engine temp but the Family Jewel area is certainly much cooler . I left them black on my blue Spyder and they look just fine. So I'm happy with them.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I left them black on my blue Spyder and they look just fine. So I'm happy with them.
    Black is the only color they came in. A few have painted them but I don't recall who or what sort of paint they used. My 2013 RT was blue and the black scoops looked quite fine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Air vents/scoops

Attached are photos of my install, so far today I finish the other side of the bike. I did left them black, probably will dress with black Kevlar skin. Can’t test them as it is to cold to ride....

P.s. no instructions, just look at them for a few days and figured it out.. I think it was harder to find the instructions than figuring out the install🤨
    2018 RT , Larger pedal Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I put these on my previous 2015 RTS. I didn't cut a larger hole. Advice from other members. I just removed the original screen and mounted them. I got plenty of airflow. My glovebox was cool in all high temps. It was an oven before scoops added.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I put these on my previous 2015 RTS. I didn't cut a larger hole. Advice from other members. I just removed the original screen and mounted them. I got plenty of airflow. My glovebox was cool in all high temps. It was an oven before scoops added.
    I didn't cut either. Now I can keep a chocolate bar in the glove box even in summer heat. I did put thin heat shield foil on bottom of lid, though.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black