Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops bumpskid vs Rivco bumper and skid plates

I'm a week into owning my spyder rt-s and I'm learning that I may want to get protection for the front end. I'm torn between the affordable bumpskid from spyderpops and the bumper and skid plates combo from Rivco that is more than double because it's 2 separate things made to complement one another.

Any advice or experience you want to share on either?

I pulled a pic of the Rivco pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

From me it would be a visual thing cause I have only had the bumpskid. At the time it was the only one available. I like both but have done well with the bumpskid as it is a full smooth skid plate with no bends or creases and extends out to give you the bumper part. It also has a slight flip to aide in air deflection to the radiators on the RS... your choice
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From me it would be a visual thing cause I have only had the bumpskid. At the time it was the only one available. I like both but have done well with the bumpskid as it is a full smooth skid plate with no bends or creases and extends out to give you the bumper part. It also has a slight flip to aide in air deflection to the radiators on the RS... your choice
    Okay cool. Thanks for replying...it's good to hear the bumpskid has worked well for you and I like that it has that slight flip for the air deflection. I was wondering about that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you could see how much damage their is to the factory plate you will go with to one from spyderpops.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops Bumpskid every time, it is a winner and life saver

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree.The RT's sit low in the front and the odds are you will bottom on something instead of running into something. I like the tubular look of the bumper, but if the accompanying bumpskid is not as wide as the other one, I would probably buy the wider one.
    We have added spring stiffeners to raise the height of the Spyder among other things, but we still occasionally scrape and it is good to know you have a large area of protection.
    Ours is a '14 RTS

Spyder Garage

I went with the SpyderPops. The RIVCO must be new.

The SP fit perfectly. Raise the Spyder up good so you can get under there. My wife actually put it on for me as I cant get down low anymore. She did fine....looks good too.P1010045.jpgP1010042.jpgP1010043.jpg
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Clearly the SP bumpskid works for things down low. One thing I cannot really tell though is how far it actually sticks out. One of the places I park at for work has steel fencing and poles. My fear is that I may pull in too far by accident and damage the nose. Does it stick out far enough to stop the spyder from something vertical and taller than it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I've seen that with the lighting. Anyone have any input on longevity of the LED's? My dealer says don't do it and just get the plain one cause they get hit and/or individual ones burn out quickly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There were some initial problems with LED lighting, and Harvey has solved that problem...
    Those LEDs will outlast all of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops bumpskid vs Rivco bumper and skid plates

Thanks for the input everyone. I finally settled on the SP bumpskid no led so I could also get the Lamonster cat bypass.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are just going down the interstate, the bumpskid is is not a big deal. I found that riding on county roads and through a lot of small towns that the bumpskid took a lot of abuse.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    If you are just going down the interstate, the bumpskid is is not a big deal. I found that riding on county roads and through a lot of small towns that the bumpskid took a lot of abuse.
    That's like the majority of my riding. Country roads and small towns. Excellent scenery. I can't stand the interstate.