Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops bumpskid vs Rivco bumper and skid plates

I'm a week into owning my spyder rt-s and I'm learning that I may want to get protection for the front end. I'm torn between the affordable bumpskid from spyderpops and the bumper and skid plates combo from Rivco that is more than double because it's 2 separate things made to complement one another.

Any advice or experience you want to share on either?

I pulled a pic of the Rivco pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

From me it would be a visual thing cause I have only had the bumpskid. At the time it was the only one available. I like both but have done well with the bumpskid as it is a full smooth skid plate with no bends or creases and extends out to give you the bumper part. It also has a slight flip to aide in air deflection to the radiators on the RS... your choice
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    From me it would be a visual thing cause I have only had the bumpskid. At the time it was the only one available. I like both but have done well with the bumpskid as it is a full smooth skid plate with no bends or creases and extends out to give you the bumper part. It also has a slight flip to aide in air deflection to the radiators on the RS... your choice
    Okay cool. Thanks for replying...it's good to hear the bumpskid has worked well for you and I like that it has that slight flip for the air deflection. I was wondering about that.

Spyder Garage

If you could see how much damage their is to the factory plate you will go with to one from spyderpops.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops Bumpskid every time, it is a winner and life saver

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree.The RT's sit low in the front and the odds are you will bottom on something instead of running into something. I like the tubular look of the bumper, but if the accompanying bumpskid is not as wide as the other one, I would probably buy the wider one.
    We have added spring stiffeners to raise the height of the Spyder among other things, but we still occasionally scrape and it is good to know you have a large area of protection.
    Ours is a '14 RTS

Spyder Garage

I went with the SpyderPops. The RIVCO must be new.

The SP fit perfectly. Raise the Spyder up good so you can get under there. My wife actually put it on for me as I cant get down low anymore. She did fine....looks good too.P1010045.jpgP1010042.jpgP1010043.jpg
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops Bumpskid for me....see my install below

Good to check with the forum members on recommendations....

This is a post of mine about 3 years ago....the bumpskid was in the first set of farkles I had installed on my new (then) 2014 RTL for safey and peace of mind. My bumpskid has saved me several times and the front sticks out for protecting you from bumping the front....works great for me and has a few scars on it after 35,000 miles!

Good luck with your choice and install...

From my 3-21-14 post:
    Hello all, just finished my bumpskid install on my 2014 RT L! I had installed one on my 2012 RT L as well. This one went very smooth and an easy install expecially that I had the bike up in the air for the BajaRon sway bar install yesterday....worked great!

Here's a few pics of the install and a few suggestions:

1. Have your Spyder up so you can drill it easily (I had the bike up about 18" ground to frame).

2 Just follow instructions -- I thought this was "easier" than my 2012 RT L install of the bumpskid!

3. The back two holes you need to drill into the metal frame....careful to not penetrate your drill bit too far to prevent damage! I just used tape on the drill bit wound around a few layers to act as a stop....some of you may have a formal drill bit stop, but that's my solution (had about a 1/4" of the drill bit exposed to drill through the metal -- worked great! The holes drilled into the tupperware I drilled while the bumpskid was mounted, the two back holes into the metal -- I marked with the bumpskid in place, then drilled those back two holes with the bumpskid off to insure I could see what was happening as I drilled!

4. I looked twice at the top of the bumpskid and discovered it was protected with the premask layer as well. Glad I caught that before the install. Obviously pulled the top premask off before mounting the bumpskid to the Spyder. The last thing I did was pulled the premask protection layer off the bottom of the bumpskid when completely finished with the install.

Here's the farkles I have completed on my new 2014 RT L (which I purchased in January 2014 and has ZERO miles on it due to this winter!):

My first set of farkles:
    HMT 3rd Brake Light w/ Dual Converter
    Helmet Guardian dual locks
    LED's on mirrors
    SENA Bluetooth
    BajaRon's High Performance Sway Bar
    BajaRon's Heim Joint Links
    Bumpskid
    Netting in all compartments Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's why you want a bumpskid. This is after one season of ryding!

20170311_214432.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

how much actual ground clearance is lost w/the syderpops skid plate.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    how much actual ground clearance is lost w/the syderpops skid plate.
    The Bumpskid is 3/8" thick. Not even worth considering from that perspective. I had one on the 2011 I just traded in Wednesday. It had many scrapes and a couple of chips gouged out near the front edge about 3/16" deep into it. I have a new Bumpskid on the way here for my new RT. So worth the added protection.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Clearly the SP bumpskid works for things down low. One thing I cannot really tell though is how far it actually sticks out. One of the places I park at for work has steel fencing and poles. My fear is that I may pull in too far by accident and damage the nose. Does it stick out far enough to stop the spyder from something vertical and taller than it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the idea of this combination from Rivco...
    But I purchased the BumpSkid because it also offered the availability of LED lighting under the front of the vehicle...

10,000 Miles 005.jpg

Si I guess that it might come down to what you feel is more important to you:
    Being seen?
    Or being solid?

Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah I've seen that with the lighting. Anyone have any input on longevity of the LED's? My dealer says don't do it and just get the plain one cause they get hit and/or individual ones burn out quickly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There were some initial problems with LED lighting, and Harvey has solved that problem...
    Those LEDs will outlast all of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops bumpskid vs Rivco bumper and skid plates

Thanks for the input everyone. I finally settled on the SP bumpskid no led so I could also get the Lamonster cat bypass.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are just going down the interstate, the bumpskid is is not a big deal. I found that riding on county roads and through a lot of small towns that the bumpskid took a lot of abuse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    If you are just going down the interstate, the bumpskid is is not a big deal. I found that riding on county roads and through a lot of small towns that the bumpskid took a lot of abuse.
    That's like the majority of my riding. Country roads and small towns. Excellent scenery. I can't stand the interstate.