Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One high beam not working

I recently installed HID lights from NMN, and they are great. I did notice yesterday that my right side high beam does not work, only on low beam. NMN says its not the bulb, but would be a shutter issue.
    I have no idea what that means really, but is this something I can fix perhaps or is it a drop off at the dealer and wait a week issue?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    I recently installed HID lights from NMN, and they are great. I did notice yesterday that my right side high beam does not work, only on low beam. NMN says its not the bulb, but would be a shutter issue.
    I have no idea what that means really, but is this something I can fix perhaps or is it a drop off at the dealer and wait a week issue?
    The Spyder doesn't have a 'high beam' and 'low beam' like your typical car does. It has one bulb that shines the same all the time. In front of that bulb is a shutter that can either be 1/2 way open or all the way open. Think of it as an eyelid - you can have it either 1/2 way open, or all the way open.

It's a mechanical system that you can hear clicking when you switch them from low to high. Chances are someone disconnected the wire that controls the shutter on that side when doing the install.

On the bottom of the light housing there are two connectors that plug in. One is power for the bulb, the other is for the shutter. Probably just got one of them loose.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The Spyder doesn't have a 'high beam' and 'low beam' like your typical car does. It has one bulb that shines the same all the time. In front of that bulb is a shutter that can either be 1/2 way open or all the way open. Think of it as an eyelid - you can have it either 1/2 way open, or all the way open.

It's a mechanical system that you can hear clicking when you switch them from low to high. Chances are someone disconnected the wire that controls the shutter on that side when doing the install.

On the bottom of the light housing there are two connectors that plug in. One is power for the bulb, the other is for the shutter. Probably just got one of them loose.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Connectors?
    OK, just took the speedo off and looking inside this thing, I do see a connector that has a brown and also a white wire going to it, and those wires are coming from the inside of the light housing...am I looking at the correct connector?
    If so, those are both connected.

Spyder Garage

Connectors?
    OK, just took the speedo off and looking inside this thing, I do see a connector that has a brown and also a white wire going to it, and those wires are coming from the inside of the light housing...am I looking at the correct connector?
    If so, those are both connected.
    Do you know if it was working before? I can't remember if that is fused in anyway but the brown and white wire is what you need to make sure is connected. It would have nothing to do with the HID kit other than it may have been unplugged.

Spyder Garage

My pics weren't showing up on my HID install so I reloaded them.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5306

Spyder Garage

So does that mean if I need a replacement bulb I need to get an H7 55w, high beam only automotive bulb?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nope, I really don't know and I only noticed while doing a light check against a reflective window yesterday that it was not working.

I can see the brown/white wires to the connected that is outside the light housing, but to where it connects inside, I don't think there is an easy way to check it...hmm, I do have 3 girls in our house, I bet I can drum up a cosmetic mirror and try that way.

wife wants to go eat dinner, so will do that, then back to the garage again. (I don't call them brownie points anymore, I call them spyder points)

Spyder Garage

Yepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    So does that mean if I need a replacement bulb I need to get an H7 55w, high beam only automotive bulb?
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ha!
    Looks like my right side headlight was seriously out of adjustment, was down too low. Weird though, it seemed ok for normal beams, but when I flick on the high beam, only the left side actually beamed out. I figured out where the adjusment screws were and started playing with it and sure enough, from about 30 feet away facing a wall, during low output, the right beam was down about a foot lower, and I guess it was enough to not let out any high beam output ??
    If all that out of adjustment stuff does not sound right, then it must have started working again, lol.

Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Ha!
    Looks like my right side headlight was seriously out of adjustment, was down too low. Weird though, it seemed ok for normal beams, but when I flick on the high beam, only the left side actually beamed out. I figured out where the adjusment screws were and started playing with it and sure enough, from about 30 feet away facing a wall, during low output, the right beam was down about a foot lower, and I guess it was enough to not let out any high beam output ??
    If all that out of adjustment stuff does not sound right, then it must have started working again, lol.

Thanks for the help.
    You should be able to 'feel' if the shutter is working. It's a very distinctive click. The owners manual has a section on aiming and adjusting the headlights. If the shutter is working properly, no matter where you have the aim set you should be able to see a difference between Lo and Hi settings.

Spyder Garage

Makes me happy that in the UK we have a ( proper ) system with two high and two low bulbs !!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got er working and all is good. Just had to adjust the light itself. Glad for a simple fix!

Spyder Garage

Default I missed that . . .

Thanks for all the posts everyone.

I had missed the part in the manual about adjusting the headlights. Mine needed adjusting too ( the low beams were off ) and I was going to ask the dealership about it, but now took care of it myself.

Also, Lamonster, I am glad to see your pictures finally loading - they are a great help and very clear on what needs to be done on the HID install.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom

Spyder Garage