Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on a 2013 ST Limited

My wife and I have been 2 wheel riders for some time. She currently rides a Honda VTX 1300R and I ride a Victory Vision. I have been studying the Spyder and reading this forum for quite some time so last fall I found and bought a used 2015 RT-S Special Series with only 5800 miles on it. I love the ride so far but unfortunately I was only able to put about 600 miles on it before winter hit. So while laid up for the winter I have added a few farkles per your many posts and suggestions.

I recently came across a Brand New 2013 ST Limited (Black Current) at a local dealer priced at $9999.00. They actually have 3 left over 2013 ST's for some reason.

I have never ridden a Spyder with the 998 motor so I only know what I have read on this forum.
    1) there are heat issues on the 2013 but sounds like this has been addressed with a recall.
    2) the 1330 is much better. Again I haven't ridden a 998 so I can't compare
    3) gas mileage is much worse. So far I have been getting around 40mpg with my RT. Sounds like around 30mpg on the 998.
    4) uses oil. Not sure what this means. How much oil needs to be replaced and at what interval?

Most people rave about the 1330 over the 998 so this ST scares me a little but you can't beat the price for a brand new machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Wayne
    Last edited by wrb3004; 03-06-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

First... That is a really good deal and probably hard to ignore.

Yeah, the 998 uses some oil. Typically not enough to get too worried about on a 3000 mile trip, but something that you end up checking from time to time and yeah, I carried some oil with me when I ran my 998.

Really the only thing that would push me away from the ST is if you are truly that concerned about MPG/range on the 998. I've since moved to the F3 and am loving the extra range and not having the range anxiety I used to have. The engine is sweet too and I don't carry oil with me anymore. 9300 mile oil change is also nice.

Still... You are looking at an ST at a nice price. Tempting.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Where is that dealer?

Would you be willing to PM me and tell me the name of the dealer? I'm currently looking for an ST and that is a great price. Black is not really the color I want so I would be looking to see what else they have in stock.
    Thanks!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post
    My wife and I have been 2 wheel riders for some time. She currently rides a Honda VTX 1300R and I ride a Victory Vision. I have been studying the Spyder and reading this forum for quite some time so last fall I found and bought a used 2015 RT-S Special Series with only 5800 miles on it. I love the ride so far but unfortunately I was only able to put about 600 miles on it before winter hit. So while laid up for the winter I have added a few farkles per your many posts and suggestions. Can't wait to get it out soon.

I have been trying to talk my wife into going with a Spyder but because of the price and "it's not a motorcycle" I'm still talking.

I recently came across a Brand New 2013 ST Limited (Black Current) at a local dealer priced at $9999.00. They actually have 3 left over 2013 ST's for some reason. But due to the price I think I have her attention.

I have never ridden a Spyder with the 998 motor so I only know what I have read on this forum.
    1) there are heat issues on the 2013 but sounds like this has been addressed with a recall.
    2) the 1330 is much better. Again I haven't ridden a 998 so I can't compare
    3) gas mileage is much worse. So far I have been getting around 40mpg with my RT. Sounds like around 30mpg on the 998.
    4) uses oil. Not sure what this means. How much oil needs to be replaced and at what interval?

Most people rave about the 1330 over the 998 so this ST scares me a little but you can't beat the price for a brand new machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Wayne
    My first spyder is a 2014 RT with the 1330 and I love it. This fall I picked up a 2012 RSS and like it also. In fact, I like it more for the shorter local trips. I have to say that a 2013 ST Limited (and in my favorite color) for $9999.00 is unbelievable. I would be on that in no time. The short comings that I miss on my RSS are all addressed on the ST Limited (radio, cruise, better wind protection). In fact, if you would shoot me a pm on the dealer or website, I would be grateful. If this add is true, there will be a good deal coming up soon on a 2012 RSS.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure that the update body panels have been installed.
    Here's a side by side comparison:

2013 and 2014 STs.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a great deal. The biggest thing with the 998 from other V-twins is the engine likes to be run at higher rpms. To have it happy it likes to be around 5,000. We had an RT with the 998 and it used about a quart of oil between oil changes (4600 miles). We got around 29 mpg but the RT is a lot heavier.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Great deal

The 998 is a really good motor and the ST is a really nice motorcycle. You will find it sportier and more nimble than the RT, and that motor will really move it around. The mileage will be adequate to allow you to run 140 miles or so, and you will want to take a break by then anyway. Carry a quart of oil with you and top it off as needed. For that price, and don't forget an extended warranty, you can't go wrong!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say...

A test ryde by the wife will help you out a lot....I love the high rpm twin and will not go for the triple. The gas mileage never bothered me cause we generally stop every 100 to 150 miles anyway for a break. I can get 25 to 40 mpg depending on where I ryde and the conditions but avarage 32 mpg. That is a great price and I think she will like the ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default We loved out 2013 ST-LTD

The wife and I really like ours, however we rode 2-up, and that pushed me a bit further forward in the seat. Being more a "crotch rocket" seating, that meant things got painful. The 998 sounds awesome with an aftermarket exhaust, whereas the 1330 cannot get close. My wife, who had never driven a motorcycle in her life - was comfortable around town at 45mph in an hour! She still honks the horn trying to hit the direction signal button, but small potatoes. After a particularly painful (for me as a guy) ride pushed up against the front tupperware, we test rode a new RT-S. Never looked back. The dealer short changed us on trade in value for the 2013 ST-LTD, so I didn't give him the foot peg kit & RonJon swaybar kit I had but never installed. Single riding the ST-LTD is far more fun than the big 1330 RT in my opinion. The 998 is just ready to go, more nimble handling. You might end up liking the ST-LTD better

Spyder Garage

Wife and I love our ST...As stated before make sure it has the update side panels...It solved the heat problems on my machine. I could see the difference on the temp bars!

Spyder Garage

Default crazy price

My wife has the 2014 st limited and loves it. The $9999 price is fantastic, but the dealers site
    http://www.filerspowersports.com/s/s.../sort/discount
    shows the limited for $9999, but 2 different 2013 st sm5 for $12999.
    That does not compute, but if I were in the market I would snatch it in a heartbeat (with the new panels)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Wayne!
    Have you guys busted your bikes out of storage yet?

Ride them on Wednesday and Thursday this week: the weather isn't looking any good at all after that...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob
    The 2 wheelers are still stuffed in the corner and plugged in. Need to dig them out and service fairly soon.

I have to get the Spyder to the dealer soon for some service, the air compressor doesn't work and I have a new General Altimax tire to get installed. But, weather permitting, that won't stop me from cruising. Getting anxious!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shawleyj View Post
    Would you be willing to PM me and tell me the name of the dealer? I'm currently looking for an ST and that is a great price. Black is not really the color I want so I would be looking to see what else they have in stock.
    Thanks!
    The color mentioned is Black Currant--it is a very dark maroon. Looks pretty nice in the sun.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
    My wife has the 2014 st limited and loves it. The $9999 price is fantastic, but the dealers site
    http://www.filerspowersports.com/s/s.../sort/discount
    shows the limited for $9999, but 2 different 2013 st sm5 for $12999.
    That does not compute, but if I were in the market I would snatch it in a heartbeat (with the new panels)
    They are closed today, but I sent them an email to see if the add is legit. I will update to see what they say.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 ST and love it. No issues at all.

I came from a Honda ST1300 and a M109R 1800 cruiser. Getting older and wanted something more stable. I loved 2 wheels but also love 3 and do not regret my purchase.

At that price I say go for it ! P1010046.jpg
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Make sure that the update body panels have been installed.
    Here's a side by side comparison:

2013 and 2014 STs.jpg
    The dealer is not likely to do this if machine is new, it will have recalls done but the updated panels was optional Mine is fine with stock the high RPM take som getting use to but After that. Great price offer she will envoy the limited package, & the color has a red hue in the right sunlight. MPG is less than 1330 but improves with keeping in 5-7k RPM & ethanol free gas. 32k miles of smiles on mine. Many more to come. As far as oil consumption,
    minor just keep as steady eye on it for safety I may add 1/2 qt a month or so. I just keep some handy & next change will go to full synthetic give it a try. Is a great machine you will not be disappointed

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Well, I have been emailing the dealership about the $9999 ST Limited. I was told that the OTD price would be $10,972 + tax and registration in your state. The bike has some fading on the controls because it sat outside for 3 years (that was their explanation on the price). They said a lady was coming to look at it today, and the first $100 deposite gets the bike. I hope the individual here is the one going to check it out in person and gets the first shot at it. I also hope they will add a little more info about the first hand looks of the bike. Funny thing, there is also a 2013 ST Limited listed on EBay with a starting bid of $8000. It is not new, but also has fading due to sitting outside. Hopefully we can get an in person update on the story.

Spyder Garage

I stopped into the dealer this afternoon and the bike had just been sold. About an hour too late. The salesman told me the ad was incorrect and it was used with 2000 miles on it. Still a good deal. Oh well. My wife and I picked up oil and filters for our bikes and left. Will keep my eyes open.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post
    I stopped into the dealer this afternoon and the bike had just been sold. About an hour too late. The salesman told me the ad was incorrect and it was used with 2000 miles on it. Still a good deal. Oh well. My wife and I picked up oil and filters for our bikes and left. Will keep my eyes open.
    I got an email stating that it was sold also. I was sure that you were the one that got it. By saying that it had 2k miles on it, that leads me to believe that it is the one that was listed on Ebay for $8k. It was also at a dealership in NY. All of the plastic was faded and the seat was also faded some. There was also a reflector missing on one of the saddle bags. I still think that it was a pretty good deal, but the only thing that scared me was that in the ebay add, it said that some of the electronics may not be working. That would make me want to test it out in person.
    Keep looking, I know there is another one out there.